Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 01:06 PM

14,291 posts, read 9,172,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
They don't. And I agree they should take a step back from these positions, especially the LGBT affairs role. They also plan to sue the city and PPD.

The Inquirer initially focused on the LGBT point, as if that is relevant (besides her position in City Hall)... Whether this couple was unruly or the police went overboard (or both), that is the story... But I guess that is how the media operates today (the focus is drama headlines, not facts, both sides are guilty of this).

Social media warriors are upset over this. Amazing how social media warriors complained that Kenney let the city go to crap and now Parker comes with a real agenda to address the mess in Kensington (and elsewhere) and peoples feelings are hurt...

I guess ruffling feathers means she is doing her job, and gotta start somewhere, kudos to Parker for pushing for positive change.
They won't get anywhere suing the Philadelphia Police Department for that incident, for the PPD hasn't patrolled the Interstates in the city for more than a decade.

The PPD disbanded its Highway Patrol unit and turned over policing on the freeways to the Pennsylvania State Police in the 1990s or 2000s. You should be able to spot the trooper's State Police shield in that video just before he knocks the camera out of the wife's hands.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 981,441 times
Quote:

...Social media warriors are upset over this. Amazing how social media warriors complained that Kenney let the city go to crap and now Parker comes with a real agenda to address the mess in Kensington (and elsewhere) and peoples feelings are hurt...

I guess ruffling feathers means she is doing her job, and gotta start somewhere, kudos to Parker for pushing for positive change.
Upset over what?

Old 04-04-2024, 04:57 PM

9,402 posts, read 9,390,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Upset over what?
Too harsh, unfair to businesses (after 11pm?), doesn't help people or solve the problem, etc. The typical nonsense...
Not sure what the complainers would prefer as clearly the status quo approach of "do-nothing" hasn't worked out so well...

Old 04-05-2024, 08:16 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,636,589 times
Quote:
Too harsh, unfair to businesses (after 11pm?), doesn't help people or solve the problem, etc. The typical nonsense...
Not sure what the complainers would prefer as clearly the status quo approach of "do-nothing" hasn't worked out so well...
Unfortunately, it's far more popular these days to engage in any issue to only react to problems, as opposed to being part of an actual constructive solution.

The social media armchair warriors live in a warped reality; they don't care about actual solutions. They only want to b*tch about the slightest of changes to try to improve any of the most glaring problems. They live for drama, and they could certainly care less about a functioning city.

Parker doesn't have time for their bulls**t. She is exactly the Mayor Philly needs.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM

1,703 posts, read 981,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Unfortunately, it's far more popular these days to engage in any issue to only react to problems, as opposed to being part of an actual constructive solution.

The social media armchair warriors live in a warped reality; they don't care about actual solutions. They only want to b*tch about the slightest of changes to try to improve any of the most glaring problems. They live for drama, and they could certainly care less about a functioning city.

Parker doesn't have time for their bulls**t. She is exactly the Mayor Philly needs.
Right!? I think she's killing it. Short of sending in the National Guard, there needs to be several measures taken to get Kenso under control. I'm all for the National Guard, btw. A message needs to be sent that we're not just gonna watch this bull$hit go down in broad daylight. The drug industry has taken that for granted for decades.

This action is tiny in comparison to what needs to happen. But it's a start.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:57 PM

1,036 posts, read 452,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Right!? I think she's killing it. Short of sending in the National Guard, there needs to be several measures taken to get Kenso under control. I'm all for the National Guard, btw. A message needs to be sent that we're not just gonna watch this bull$hit go down in broad daylight. The drug industry has taken that for granted for decades.

This action is tiny in comparison to what needs to happen. But it's a start.
In Philly today, only a black woman can get away with, for obvious reasons, cracking down on crime.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
In Philly today, only a black woman can get away with, for obvious reasons, cracking down on crime.
I would think you'd be happy that anyone's doing it, but given the track record of the white mayors (either too tough or too soft), it's probably a good thing that that's the case.

But while I'm on the subject, Mayor Michael Nutter — Jim Kenney's predecessor — also did a good job in that department, and his Police Commish enjoyed a great deal of trust across the board.

Old 04-06-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They don't. And I agree they should take a step back from these positions, especially the LGBT affairs role. They also plan to sue the city and PPD.

The Inquirer initially focused on the LGBT point, as if that is relevant (besides her position in City Hall)... Whether this couple was unruly or the police went overboard (or both), that is the story... But I guess that is how the media operates today (the focus is drama headlines, not facts, both sides are guilty of this).

Social media warriors are upset over this. Amazing how social media warriors complained that Kenney let the city go to crap and now Parker comes with a real agenda to address the mess in Kensington (and elsewhere) and peoples feelings are hurt...

Well until they ''step back'' from their positions, they represent LGBT leadership and the community and there's no way they are leaving these positions voluntarily and certainly no one is going to force them out. That would be racism.

Of course the Inquirer focused on the LGBT point, it's crucial to its narrative of victimhood; here we have black male/female LGBT leadership roles being beaten down by a white cop for no reason...this is gold to the Inquirer. At least it was initially since, as I stated, this dropped quickly, even shorter than the contrived White Supremacist hate crime wave against Asians a few years ago.

Besides, how can Parker not back up this LGBT director given her own history with the cops. Parker can't now say to this director that she's outta there; this woman is saying she did nothing wrong and the cop is lying. Sound familiar? It should because that what Parker said about her own DUI and strung it out through the court system for several years...still guilty. A ''do as I say, not as I do'' situation for Parker.

So, these 2 in issue had a car over in Jersey that needed repairs and rented a vehicle to go get it. Heading back through Philly on an Interstate in heavy rain and wind, the wife, naturally, drives this POS car and tailgates motorists without her headlights on...lol. What do you think the purpose of the wife's video snippet of her resisting arrest husband screaming the race card was for? Remember these 2 are the victims here.

The media has always played up drama headlines, but since at least George Floyd had is overdose death in police custody, it has focused on and created racial and other assorted victimhood oppression at the hands of white supremacists, especially white cops, preferably white males.

This story fizzled out, which means these 2 LGBT community embarrassments were in the wrong, and to date, no lawsuit. Looks like the mainstream media has to wait until it can try and manipulate another race-LGBT-other victimhood confrontation with white folks in general and white cops in particular...but these types of rinse-n-repeat stories are so stale now.

Old 04-06-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I would think you'd be happy that anyone's doing it, but given the track record of the white mayors (either too tough or too soft), it's probably a good thing that that's the case.

But while I'm on the subject, Mayor Michael Nutter — Jim Kenney's predecessor — also did a good job in that department, and his Police Commish enjoyed a great deal of trust across the board.
Certainly glad stop-n-frisk is saving black lives, particularly, young black ones, and a mayor is cracking down otherwise. State of Emergency etc.

It's not a good thing that only a black mayor can do this. Kenney couldn't because he is white, even though it would have saved black lives and a crime crack down by any mayor will be felt in the black community for obvious reasons. You think it's a good thing that only a black mayor can enforce the law because it will take a toll in the black community somehow even as the murder #s drop like a rock?

Nutter took heat though after his ''get your act together'' speech to the black community and had stop n frisk ended on his watch. Murders start to climb...then white boy Kenney comes in but can't do anything because he's white even as 1,000s of black lives are being lost under his administration. Hell, Kenney couldn't even ban the thugs hanging out around Rittenhouse...banned them, accused of racism, 2 days later, ban cancelled...and that was early in his first adminstration. You act s if Kenney had a choice in being soft on crime or not.

What is being too tough on crime using your standard for a black mayor vs. a white mayor? If it's a white mayor, it's racist....if it's a black mayor, she's gettin' the job done...lol...wtf...she's allowed to do it. This is progress?

You missed the point...white mayors can't get tough on crime in Philly, when 90% of homicides are black residents being killed by other black residents...black mayor can't be accused of racism obviously but white mayors/leaders will be despite using the same tactics with the same results. A black, especially a black female, mayor is ''allowed'' to crack down on crime; a white mayor not allowed, would even throw in an asian and hispanic mayor as well.

You're not naive, you know the real deal.

You think that's progress? Then again Presidents of our Ivy League schools believe genocide depends on context...lol.

Last edited by MPK21; 04-06-2024 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-06-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Certainly glad stop-n-frisk is saving black lives, particularly, young black ones, and a mayor is cracking down otherwise. State of Emergency etc.

It's not a good thing that only a black mayor can do this. Kenney couldn't because he is white, even though it would have saved black lives and a crime crack down by any mayor will be felt in the black community for obvious reasons. You think it's a good thing that only a black mayor can enforce the law because it will take a toll in the black community somehow even as the murder #s drop like a rock?

Nutter took heat though after his ''get your act together'' speech to the black community and had stop n frisk ended on his watch. Murders start to climb...then white boy Kenney comes in but can't do anything because he's white even as 1,000s of black lives are being lost under his administration. Hell, Kenney couldn't even ban the thugs hanging out around Rittenhouse...banned them, accused of racism, 2 days later, ban cancelled...and that was early in his first adminstration. You act s if Kenney had a choice in being soft on crime or not.

What is being too tough on crime using your standard for a black mayor vs. a white mayor? If it's a white mayor, it's racist....if it's a black mayor, she's gettin' the job done...lol...wtf...she's allowed to do it. This is progress?

You missed the point...white mayors can't get tough on crime in Philly, when 90% of homicides are black residents being killed by other black residents...black mayor can't be accused of racism obviously but white mayors/leaders will be despite using the same tactics with the same results. A black, especially a black female, mayor is ''allowed'' to crack down on crime; a white mayor not allowed, would even throw in an asian and hispanic mayor as well.

You're not naive, you know the real deal.

You think that's progress? Then again Presidents of our Ivy League schools believe genocide depends on context...lol.
Maybe the Black political Establishment and the activist class wouldn't allow it,* but (with the usual caution that the plural of anecdote is not data) I can recall a conversation I had with a fellow Penn employee in 1987 that you might find interesting.

She was a middle-aged Black woman who worked in another office at the university but also rode the Route 40 bus to work with me, and we would chat about goings-on on the bus. I would describe her politics as to the left of my own.

One moring in the months before the general election, she informed me that she and others in her neighborhood were talking, "Let's do Frank."

The more I read about Frank Rizzo, the more I'm convinced he was a more comples person than either his defenders or his detractors think he is. Yes, he played on white fears to seek a third term, but he also went up to Kensington to stop white families from harassing a Black family who had moved into the neighborhood. Things like that, or that one of his closest political friends was William Coleman (another rare bird, a Black Republican from Philadelphia).

*and come to think of it, a good chunk of that Establishment backed Tom Knox over Michael Nutter in that 2007 primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia