Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2024, 04:49 AM

2,045 posts, read 797,067 times

Advertisements

Woke garbage and a waste of taxpayer's money:

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-police...rant/14353845/

What exactly does a diversity, equity and inclusion officer do?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:45 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,135,332 times
South Philly has gone 1 month 4 days without a shooting or homicide. Great news.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:53 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,192,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
South Philly has gone 1 month 4 days without a shooting or homicide. Great news.
While I agree with the sentiment, I think it's such a sad state of affairs what is "great news" these days.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:06 AM

1,705 posts, read 981,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
And homicides are down 20% from last year.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:33 AM

10,627 posts, read 12,182,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Woke garbage and a waste of taxpayer's money:

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-police...rant/14353845/

What exactly does a diversity, equity and inclusion officer do?
Get paid taxpayers dollars to push an agenda.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:45 AM

9,407 posts, read 9,393,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Get paid taxpayers dollars to push an agenda.
Frankly I don't see the issue... It is 1 position and basically an extension of HR, and certainly couldn't harm an organization with a history of exclusion.

The idea of DEI has unfortunately been lost in translation (much thanks to conservative media nonsense).

On paper, DEI supports programs, policies, strategies, and practices to create and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment for all. Obviously DEI is not needed for every organization, but for large public or private organizations represented by various backgrounds, it is a common sense (non-costly) investment.

My company has a DEI team, and at the very least it helps foster connections between colleagues of similar backgrounds. I was informed of an LGBT social network for legal/construction consultants in NYC and have since made great connections and brought work to my company as a result. What is wrong about that?

In summary (not meant to be snippy), DEI may not matter to you, but it matters to some, and it does nothing to affect you if a company or organization chooses to have a DEI person or program. It's not a boogeyman agenda as some "news" outlets will have you believe...

Last edited by cpomp; 01-26-2024 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-26-2024, 11:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,177,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Frankly I don't see the issue... It is 1 position and basically an extension of HR, and certainly couldn't harm an organization with a history of exclusion.

The idea of DEI has unfortunately been lost in translation (much thanks to conservative media nonsense).

On paper, DEI supports programs, policies, strategies, and practices to create and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment for all. Obviously DEI is not needed for every organization, but for large public or private organizations represented by various backgrounds, it is a common sense (non-costly) investment.

My company has a DEI team, and at the very least it helps foster connections between colleagues of similar backgrounds. I was informed of an LGBT social network for legal/construction consultants in NYC and have since made great connections and brought work to my company as a result. What is wrong about that?

In summary (not meant to be snippy), DEI may not matter to you, but it matters to some, and it does nothing to affect you if a company or organization chooses to have a DEI person or program. It's not a boogeyman agenda as some "news" outlets will have you believe...
The problem with just about every management craze is that it starts with an actual solution to a problem but gets twisted out of shape as the consultants or the clueless (these are often one and the same) get their hands on it.

I've said to some that "DEI is the Total Quality Management of our time." But, as your own experience shows, there may be some actual improvement to show for it once it's run its course.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:47 AM

9,407 posts, read 9,393,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The problem with just about every management craze is that it starts with an actual solution to a problem but gets twisted out of shape as the consultants or the clueless (these are often one and the same) get their hands on it.

I've said to some that "DEI is the Total Quality Management of our time." But, as your own experience shows, there may be some actual improvement to show for it once it's run its course.
Agree, and I'm sure the program can be mismanaged, misinterpreted, abused, etc. (as many good things are), but in my experience, it really is an extension of HR, and one can choose to be very involved or not at all involved (besides a quarterly companywide newsletter).

Maybe the DEI issues are more pronounced in the public sector, which more often has less qualified personnel with unrealistic expectations and pushes ideas to the "Nth" degree? (I work in the private sector).

But my pushback about the "woke agenda" still stands. The at-large idea of DEI is a helpful tool for large diverse organizations, but has unfortunately been misconstrued by some.

Last edited by cpomp; 01-26-2024 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-27-2024, 05:48 AM

2,045 posts, read 797,067 times
Cop shot, criminal killed, local scumbag steals gun:

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-police...illy/14364054/

What a culture in some of these neighborhoods ...

Triple shooting in SW Phily:
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-fat...shot/14364336/
We shouldn't just focus on the people who die, the focus should be on the number of people shot and stabbed. 'Attempted murder' is just a failed attempt.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:51 AM

387 posts, read 269,320 times
Did they stop doing the weekly crime reports on their website in 2024? Or am I just missing them?

https://www.phillypolice.com/crimestats/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia