Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,542,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Sounds like you can afford to be in Center City. I'd focus on that.

OP is going to be pressed to find somewhere that has private outside space at that price in CC. It would have to be a subdivided older house, on the first floor with the back patio. Or, the top unit with a roof deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 02:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,542,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2phl View Post
Perhaps a dumb question, but which neighborhoods would you consider to be within the bounds of Center City?

Center City is the original city of Philadelphia laid out by William Penn. The boundaries are between the two rivers, from South Street on the southern boundary to Vine Street on the northern border. Fitler/Rittenhouse/Washington Sq/Society Hill are the southern most neighborhoods. Logan Square / Chinatown, Old City / callowhill on the northern side

Old 11-15-2022, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 8,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Center City is the original city of Philadelphia laid out by William Penn. The boundaries are between the two rivers, from South Street on the southern boundary to Vine Street on the northern border. Fitler/Rittenhouse/Washington Sq/Society Hill are the southern most neighborhoods. Logan Square / Chinatown, Old City / callowhill on the northern side

Thank you! So Queen Village/Graduate Hospital/Italian Market would not be considered Center City? I have always loved the area around South St so those particular neighborhoods seem very appealing.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:50 PM

744 posts, read 778,492 times
I would look at any neighborhood in center city plus Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, Queen Village, East Passyunk/Passyunk Square, Northern Liberties and Fishtown. I personally wouldn't worry about Kensington if you are living in Fishtown. It doesn't really get bad until you get above Lehigh. Just don't go there.

Could also be worth looking into the Clark Park area of West Philly, Fairmount, Francisville and Pennsport but IMO you can do better for your preferences.

If I were you I would try to find a nice 2bedroom in East Passyunk. Depending on where you live you could have a relatively east walk to the Subway, the Citys best (IMO) restaurants, bars, grocery shopping at the Italian market. Not as much nearby at center city but you wont need a car and you will get quite a bit more space. This is where I lived when I moved to philly and I loved it. I eventually missed being around trees and bought a house in NW Philly (Mt. Airy). Once I moved I missed all the the vibrant urban life in South Philly. Go figure.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,274,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I would look at any neighborhood in center city plus Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, Queen Village, East Passyunk/Passyunk Square, Northern Liberties and Fishtown. I personally wouldn't worry about Kensington if you are living in Fishtown. It doesn't really get bad until you get above Lehigh. Just don't go there.

Could also be worth looking into the Clark Park area of West Philly, Fairmount, Francisville and Pennsport but IMO you can do better for your preferences.

If I were you I would try to find a nice 2bedroom in East Passyunk. Depending on where you live you could have a relatively east walk to the Subway, the Citys best (IMO) restaurants, bars, grocery shopping at the Italian market. Not as much nearby at center city but you wont need a car and you will get quite a bit more space. This is where I lived when I moved to philly and I loved it. I eventually missed being around trees and bought a house in NW Philly (Mt. Airy). Once I moved I missed all the the vibrant urban life in South Philly. Go figure.
Great suggestions.
The passyunk suggestion is right on.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:

East Passyunk sounds great! One of the biggest things I miss living in the south is the availability of good Italian food and ingredients. I lived in the northeast my entire life until a couple years ago and I really took the Italian-American cultural influences for granted. Being near the Italian market would be a dream come true for me at this point. Are there really no trees/no green space of any kind in that area, though? I suppose I can live without it but I have gotten used to the lush greenery in Nashville so that might be a little disappointing, though perhaps outweighed by everything else!

Old 11-15-2022, 03:04 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,274,368 times
Quote:
East Passyunk sounds great! One of the biggest things I miss living in the south is the availability of good Italian food and ingredients. I lived in the northeast my entire life until a couple years ago and I really took the Italian-American cultural influences for granted. Being near the Italian market would be a dream come true for me at this point. Are there really no trees/no green space of any kind in that area, though? I suppose I can live without it but I have gotten used to the lush greenery in Nashville so that might be a little disappointing, though perhaps outweighed by everything else!
Sorry to disappoint but the Italian market isn’t what it was.
Still good but if you are comparing to your college days, it just not the same.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Sorry to disappoint but the Italian market isn’t what it was.
Still good but if you are comparing to your college days, it just not the same.

It's changed that much in 10 years? Bummer. Anything will be better than what I have now though, which is pretty much just the cheese counter at Kroger...I'd cut off my left arm to have access to something like DiBruno brothers down here.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:22 PM

744 posts, read 778,492 times
Quote:
Honestly there are very few trees in East Passyunk. My first house that I rented was on a block with literally zero trees. There are a few interspersed throughout the area but they are small and there is no real lush tree canopy. Some streets are better than others. I remember 13th street having a decent amount of trees.

South of Center City Graduate hospital and Queen Village are a bit better. Graduate Hospital even has a couple of neat "garden blocks" but it would be a matter of luck finding a place there.

If you decide trees are very important to you then the best options might be Fairmount or the Clark Park area in West Philly.

Regarding the italian market, I personally think it is great in its current state. There are still many italian spots including outdoor produce stands, spice stores, Italian Cheese Shops, fresh pasta, italian bakeries etc. There is also a sizable mexican and asian population and it is home to many of the City's best Mexican Restaurants. It also intersections with a large string of vietnamese and cambodian businesses along Washington Ave. It is, however, no longer strictly "italian."

Old 11-15-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Honestly there are very few trees in East Passyunk. My first house that I rented was on a block with literally zero trees. There are a few interspersed throughout the area but they are small and there is no real lush tree canopy. Some streets are better than others. I remember 13th street having a decent amount of trees.

South of Center City Graduate hospital and Queen Village are a bit better. Graduate Hospital even has a couple of neat "garden blocks" but it would be a matter of luck finding a place there.

If you decide trees are very important to you then the best options might be Fairmount or the Clark Park area in West Philly.

Regarding the italian market, I personally think it is great in its current state. There are still many italian spots including outdoor produce stands, spice stores, Italian Cheese Shops, fresh pasta, italian bakeries etc. There is also a sizable mexican and asian population and it is home to many of the City's best Mexican Restaurants. It also intersections with a large string of vietnamese and cambodian businesses along Washington Ave. It is, however, no longer strictly "italian."

Trees are not super high on my list but I think it would be a bummer to live somewhere with literally zero greenery so maybe Queen Village/Graduate Hospital would be better after all. I suppose I need to look at a few apartments in all of these places and feel it out! I will miss the lush feel of my current neighborhood but that comes at the expense of all the city amenities I really care about, including such basics as sidewalks, so it's definitely a tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia