Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Ice Cream in Philadelphia?
Fairmount Flavors 1 10.00%
Scoop DeVille 0 0%
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream 0 0%
1-900 Ice Cream 0 0%
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream 1 10.00%
Bassetts Ice Cream 3 30.00%
The Franklin Fountain 5 50.00%
Zsa's Ice Cream 0 0%
Weckerly's Ice Cream 2 20.00%
Cuzzy's Ice Cream Parlor 0 0%
Harper's Ice Cream 0 0%
Over the Moon Ice Cream 0 0%
Somerset Splits 0 0%
Tubby Robot Ice Cream Factory 0 0%
Vanderwende Farm Creamery 0 0%
Other 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 03:25 PM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
not to derail but Taconelli's is the TRUTH.
Stay out of there. We don't need yuppies slumming for pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It's ALWAYS packed over there. Even in the winter.

It's nuts.

Pro tip: they have a food truck down at Spruce Street Harbor that's never as crazy as the store.
But does the ice cream travel well?

I'll tell you one thing the owners of Franklin Fountain screwed up - Shane Confectionaries!

I used to be a regular until THEY bought it around 2011. The chocolate covered pretzels were the best, but they did away with them. The buttercreams were awesome, until they made them smaller and started selling them by the piece ($1.25).
The old ladies working there were gruff, yet friendly and sweet, until they replaced them with young people with no customer service skills. The prices were reasonable, until the new owners immediately and significantly jacked them up. Went twice under the new owners and never returned ... The atmosphere of old/real Philadelphia was gone.

Damn ... I miss that place. Can't believe it's been over a decade since I've been there.

I guess they're doing something right - with or without little ol' Hermie - and I don't begrudge anybody making an honest buck, but I don't need to be giving them mine.

Sorry about the off-topic, OP. I got triggered.

Is there a thread on "What Do You Miss in Philadelphia"?

Last edited by Hermit12; 12-28-2023 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2023, 07:31 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
My first visit to Taconelli's, I walked from Somerset El station. This was about 20 years ago. Somerset Street was pretty scary for the first four blocks or so, then it got nice as you approached the restaurant.

The next two times, I was with someone who drove. But I thihk I could have taken the 89 bus instead of the El as well.

Taconelli's is indeed all that and a bag of chips. But I thought I heard that one of Papa Taconnelli's kids opened a place somewhere in South Jersey where you don't have to call ahead and reserve your crust.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:32 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
But does the ice cream travel well?

I'll tell you one thing the owners of Franklin Fountain screwed up - Shane Confectionaries!

I used to be a regular until THEY bought it around 2011. The chocolate covered pretzels were the best, but they did away with them. The buttercreams were awesome, until they made them smaller and started selling them by the piece ($1.25).
The old ladies working there were gruff, yet friendly and sweet, until they replaced them with young people with no customer service skills. The prices were reasonable, until the new owners immediately and significantly jacked them up. Went twice under the new owners and never returned ... The atmosphere of old/real Philadelphia was gone.

Damn ... I miss that place. Can't believe it's been over a decade since I've been there.

I guess they're doing something right - with or without little ol' Hermie - and I don't begrudge anybody making an honest buck, but I don't need to be giving them mine.

Sorry about the off-topic, OP. I got triggered.

Is there a thread on "What Do You Miss in Philadelphia"?
There's an opportunity for you to start one, Hermie.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
My first visit to Taconelli's, I walked from Somerset El station. This was about 20 years ago. Somerset Street was pretty scary for the first four blocks or so, then it got nice as you approached the restaurant.

The next two times, I was with someone who drove. But I thihk I could have taken the 89 bus instead of the El as well.

Taconelli's is indeed all that and a bag of chips. But I thought I heard that one of Papa Taconnelli's kids opened a place somewhere in South Jersey where you don't have to call ahead and reserve your crust.
That's correct - there's a Tacconelli's on Main Street in Maple Shade. Save your toll money, it's not nearly as good.

And that walk east on Somerset Street is still bad ... doesn't get better until you cross Aramingo.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
lol.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
That's correct - there's a Tacconelli's on Main Street in Maple Shade. Save your toll money, it's not nearly as good.

And that walk east on Somerset Street is still bad ... doesn't get better until you cross Aramingo.
I've had that Maple Shade Tac's several times. I have family that live right around the corner. It's not even in the same league.

Old 12-29-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I've had that Maple Shade Tac's several times. I have family that live right around the corner. It's not even in the same league.
It's cute that we can get a salad, ravioli, etc there, but when the men want pizza - just give the men pizza!

Old 12-30-2023, 01:02 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I used to [eat ice cream] before getting a type 2 diabetes diagnosis.
Had to respond to this, because ice cream is one of the few sweets that doctors say diabetics can eat. The limit is one-half cup (no more) per day of high-fat, lower-carb ice creams like vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, and similar. That does not include high-carb "mix-ins" types like rocky road, cookie dough, brownie, added sprinkles, low-fat ice milks, etc. It's just the simple, high-fat ice creams. Ask your doctor.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Did somebody say yuppies slumming for pizza!? Count me IN!!!

Maybe I'll sell my house in Manayunk and help accelerate the yuppification of Port Richmond while I'm at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia