Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Ice Cream in Philadelphia?
Fairmount Flavors 1 10.00%
Scoop DeVille 0 0%
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream 0 0%
1-900 Ice Cream 0 0%
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream 1 10.00%
Bassetts Ice Cream 3 30.00%
The Franklin Fountain 5 50.00%
Zsa's Ice Cream 0 0%
Weckerly's Ice Cream 2 20.00%
Cuzzy's Ice Cream Parlor 0 0%
Harper's Ice Cream 0 0%
Over the Moon Ice Cream 0 0%
Somerset Splits 0 0%
Tubby Robot Ice Cream Factory 0 0%
Vanderwende Farm Creamery 0 0%
Other 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 02:18 PM

14,326 posts, read 9,202,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Had to respond to this, because ice cream is one of the few sweets that doctors say diabetics can eat. The limit is one-half cup (no more) per day of high-fat, lower-carb ice creams like vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, and similar. That does not include high-carb "mix-ins" types like rocky road, cookie dough, brownie, added sprinkles, low-fat ice milks, etc. It's just the simple, high-fat ice creams. Ask your doctor.
Hey, thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 05:42 PM

2,045 posts, read 800,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Did somebody say yuppies slumming for pizza!? Count me IN!!!

Maybe I'll sell my house in Manayunk and help accelerate the yuppification of Port Richmond while I'm at it.
That'd be great for Port Richmond!

I just don't want to eat pizza with yi ...

Old 12-31-2023, 03:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,467,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
That'd be great for Port Richmond!

I just don't want to eat pizza with yi ...
Aw, well the feeling is not mutual. I'd love to eat pizza with yi ...

Back on-topic. I am glad this thread was made. I am not a big ice cream connoisseur. If you're wondering why (obviously you are), I have PTSD from overeating it and vomiting when I was elementary school aged. My sweets of choice are fruit pies and chocolate. However, my close friend from out of town is a major ice cream lover. I'd never thought of looking up Philly's best ice cream. I am going to take her to Franklin Fountain when she visits next.

Old 12-31-2023, 06:35 AM

2,045 posts, read 800,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Aw, well the feeling is not mutual. I'd love to eat pizza with yi ...

Back on-topic. I am glad this thread was made. I am not a big ice cream connoisseur. If you're wondering why (obviously you are), I have PTSD from overeating it and vomiting when I was elementary school aged. My sweets of choice are fruit pies and chocolate. However, my close friend from out of town is a major ice cream lover. I'd never thought of looking up Philly's best ice cream. I am going to take her to Franklin Fountain when she visits next.
Trust me, you don't.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,467,505 times
Quote:
Trust me, you don't.
Be nice.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:31 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,240,756 times
Weckerley’s and it’s not even close: they not only have the best ice cream I’ve ever tasted, but also the best handmade cones and rainbow jimmies. I was distraught to hear that they were going to close, but I was highly relieved to see that someone else is stepping in to buy the business and keep it alive. Although I’m living in Roxborough these days, I will always find an excuse to make it over to Fishtown and grab some Weckerley’s.

Zsa’s Ice Cream is a distant 2nd best, while Milk Jawn, Jeni’s (which I tend not to count since it’s a chain), and 1900-Ice-Cream would be #3, #4, and #5, respectively. With the exceptions of Over the Moon and Vanderwende, I’ve tried every other ice cream shop on the list, and none of them have been as impressive as Weckerley’s or Zsa’s. Aside from those two, the only other “impressive” ice cream shop I’ve visited was in Idaho Falls, CO.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:07 AM

14,326 posts, read 9,202,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Weckerley’s and it’s not even close: they not only have the best ice cream I’ve ever tasted, but also the best handmade cones and rainbow jimmies. I was distraught to hear that they were going to close, but I was highly relieved to see that someone else is stepping in to buy the business and keep it alive. Although I’m living in Roxborough these days, I will always find an excuse to make it over to Fishtown and grab some Weckerley’s.

Zsa’s Ice Cream is a distant 2nd best, while Milk Jawn, Jeni’s (which I tend not to count since it’s a chain), and 1900-Ice-Cream would be #3, #4, and #5, respectively. With the exceptions of Over the Moon and Vanderwende, I’ve tried every other ice cream shop on the list, and none of them have been as impressive as Weckerley’s or Zsa’s. Aside from those two, the only other “impressive” ice cream shop I’ve visited was in Idaho Falls, CO.
Idaho Falls, Colo.?

Is that anything like Missouri City, Texas?

Back to the topic: Since Zsa's is just up the block from the Mt. Airy Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, which I frequent, I should head up there and order a cone or cup sometime.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:08 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,689,685 times
Quote:

What do you think of Franklin Fountain and Bassetts?

I have been to Weckerly's and it is very unique, but definitely not the best ice cream I've ever had. Also as for handmade cones, I still prefer the Franklin Fountain's waffle cones. Weckerly's again makes waffle cones unquietly and they're great but I wouldn't say it beats FF at all.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:12 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,689,685 times
Quote:
Aside from those two, the only other “impressive” ice cream shop I’ve visited was in Idaho Falls, CO.
There are a bunch of other ice cream places I highly recommend you try out of state:

Ginger's Divine in Los Angeles, Rich Farms in Oxford CT, Ferris Acres in Newtown CT, Arethusa in Bantam CT, Robbs Farm in Glastonbury CT, Ice Dreammm in Lutz FL, Walnut Beach Creamery in Milford CT, Tulmeadow Farms in Simsbury CT, Big Hazy's in Centerville UT. All those places beat Weckerly's in my opinion.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:19 AM

1,705 posts, read 984,308 times
Quote:
Trust me, you don't.
Trust him....you don't. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia