Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM

72 posts, read 228,779 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is opening me up to 'it depends' and jest, but I have wondered this for a while....
If you go to Realtor.com and do a search for single family homes in Philadelphia under $100,000 you get oodles of pages of listings, mainly row homes. Just perusing them at random I can tell most look rundown and crappy. However some look alright. I don't know Philly neighborhoods, but if you map them, the listings cover all over the city. They are not concentrated in just one neighborhood. So tell me, are those pages of hundreds of listings all in the slums and dangerous? If so, it would appear the entire city is in the slums. Enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
"It depends". The houses less then $50K seem to be mostly in "slum" neighborhoods in North central Philly and a small getto area of South Philly. Once you move above 50K you start to get into more working class neighborhoods along the river or in West or northeast Philly. Don't forget that most of these little row houses are more than 80 years old and have one bathroom, tiny rooms and no land. The newer rowhouses that are bigger and more expensive tend to be found in far northeast Philly and some pockets of far south Philly. In other words it's the old story. You get what you pay for.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 AM

7 posts, read 27,964 times
Well once being from South Philly, I must say that the city has changed. But there are many wonderful location to still live and under $100,000. If looking in south phill I would look at home from the numbered streets from 10th to 21st. There are many little streets in between that offer good neighbors and people who love where they are.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM

160 posts, read 802,674 times
I would agree with the above post. I would also recommend finding someone very familiar with different Philadelphia neighborhoods and taking a drive. This way you can see if you are comfortable in different areas. In general, there's no shortage of crime or poverty in Philadelphia, so inexpensive areas often reflect this but they don't have to. I've had friends in sections of North Philly where the houses looked pretty run down, but there was a sense of community in the neighborhood and everyone seemed to get along well. Patients of mine also come from various sections of the city and watch out for each other,so it really does "depend". However, if you're looking for an inexpensive home in Philadelphia, I would personally check out the northeast sections of Philadelphia first because I personally would feel more comfortable. Zipcodes 19111, 19116,19115 should be good. If there is a home less than 100K you are more likely to have a fixer-upper than a serious safety concern, but this is only my opinion. After that, I would check out 19119 but be careful, some sections of Germantown are still not too hot, but the area is being built up and will probably be a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia