Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:26 PM

89 posts, read 536,734 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a trip with our two small children next weekend. I am not very familiar with the Philly area- where should we stay if we want to be right in or right near the heart of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
You should stay in Center City if that's where you want to be.

Center City is surrounded by nice neighborhoods but with the exception of University City you really won't find many accommodations in any of them save a few B&Bs

But if you have two small kids I would stay in Center City and shoot for a hotel that's along the Walnut St./Chestnut St. corridor. Really, anywhere between Market and Spruce is fine. There are plenty of them so it shouldn't be a problem.

The other hotels, like near the Convention Center/Chinatown or on the Parkway, are fine but if you're pushing strollers some of them can be a hike from where the action is.

Where are you coming from and how will you be arriving? From the airport? by car? And when you say two small children, are we talking toddlers or school aged kids?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 PM

89 posts, read 536,734 times
We are driving, we only live a few hours away. My children are 3 and 5. Thank you for your response!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
IMO your children are too young to appreciate most of what they will see. It probably isn't the best place to bring them at this point since most stuff will bore them. Two things they may get somthing from would be the zoo and the camden aquarium . Also I guess you have heard of Sesame Place up in Langhorn, Bucks County. It's a toss up whether suburban or downtown hotels would be better since you are limited to what you can do downtown because of the kids. Is a babysitter at home out of the question? Then you could enjoy yourself.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM

183 posts, read 631,744 times
To pick up on the Sesame Place theme, you might consider staying at the Sheraton Bucks County, directly across from Sesame. This puts you adjacent to the Oxford Valley Mall Mega-shopping and restaurant area. The whole area is family oriented and easy to navigate. You can drive 25 minutes or so to New Hope, a great touristy town along the Delaware River, and if you want some history stop in Washington's Crossing Park and Bowman's Tower...5 minutes south of New Hope. Bucks County rocks. If you must see Center City or the Camden attractions, you hop on I-95 South right outside the hotel and it is maybe a 35 minute drive to Center City on weekends. The Franklin Insitute and Please Touch Museum are centrally located, but you are not going to show the kids anything truly unique there. The Camden Aquarium is pretty cool, and you can park along Delaware Ave and take a ferry across to the Jersey side, and walk from there to the aquarium.
Have fun!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM

96 posts, read 360,496 times
I have to quibble with any advice to stay in Bucks County and/or go to an amusement park rather than bring young children to stay and see the city (just walking around is a great learning experience for children not used to city life). I'm also not sure I understand how a commercial playground is considered unique but two of the most engaging museums for children --- the Franklin Institute and Please Touch-- "aren't truly unique." Both are great for children. (Just FYI, Monday of Labor Day weekend (9/1) is the last weekend the Please Touch Museum will be open in its current location before reopening in Fairmount Park in October.)

Also for very young children (though specific ages would yield better recommendations), the city has Smith Playground (one of the city's treasures for children), the park at Franklin Square, seeing the ships at Penns Landing and visiting America's first Zoo. Philadelphia is also so walkable it is perfect for little people who want to see the world or just nap in their stroller while parents explore neighborhoods like Society Hill (where you can always stop off at Three Bears Park on Delancey Street if the kids need to let loose some energy). For slightly older children, there are also, among other things, the duck tour, the Constitution Center (with lots of explanations from parents), and the National Liberty Museum (again, discussion with parents probably required, but I know they offer school tours for the 5 year old set so it is content appropriate).

Back to your original question though: recommended areas to stay are Rittenhouse Square, the Convention Center area (a few blocks in between Rittenhouse and "historic area") and Society Hill/historic area (eg, Societ Hill Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Omni, Morris House). With kids, I would avoid anything on Delaware Avenue/Columbus Blvd as too hard to get to across I-95. I would also avoid Wash West on a weekend (eg Alexander Inn) because of late night noise, which won't bother most single travelers but might be an issue with kids. Also, you don't want to go west of 19th street for convenience. However, center city Philadelphia is very small, safe with common sense, and very walkable (the farthest points within areas tourists visit is no more than two miles apart).

Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
I have to quibble with any advice to stay in Bucks County and/or go to an amusement park rather than bring young children to stay and see the city (just walking around is a great learning experience for children not used to city life).
I completely agree. From the moment I left the hospital my parents packed me up and took me with them to vacations, despite everyone telling them I was too young. At 3, ok, maybe they explicitly remember the trip for the rest of their lives, but I think travelling at a young age does impact how you learn to act and behave as you grow up. Sorry, little rant, I'm done...

As for what to do, definitely go for the Franklin Institute or Please Touch. I absolutely loved those as a kid. Same for the zoo and the Academy of Natural Sciences. If you stay in Center City or Old City you'll be pretty convenient to just about anything you'd want to do.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,008 times
I agree with the posters suggesting that you stay somewhere around Society Hill and Columbus Avenue. Plenty to see and do, easy access to I-95 and the Aquarium is just across the river. Enjoy your visit.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,266 times
You really seem to know your way around Philly. Looking for a $600 or $700 all inclusive rental. 50 year old single woman relocating from Long Island to work overnight shift by City Hall. Looking to take Septa to save $. Can you direct me to safe areas
either in or outside Philly in Pa or NJ. Never moved outside of
Long Island. Any papers, management companies ect. Have to be on the job in 3 weeks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia