Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 AM

14 posts, read 43,422 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 23 year old male and recent college graduate from the Los Angeles area.
After deciding on which city to move to Philadelphia became the one that I felt was best for me.

I want to move to Center City considering its the area that I'm most familiar with but if I can't wind up finding a place there then what else would be areas that you would recommend.

Is Temple a nice area?
Is University City a cool area or is it an area where only college students live?

Also, I don't plan on owning a car and selling mine before I make the move, is that going to be a problem? Are cars essential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 AM

107 posts, read 358,827 times
The area around Temple is North Philadelphia, one of the most crime-ridden sections of the nation. I recommend not to live there.

University City, surprisingly is dominated by universities: U Penn and Drexel. A nice area, but you would be better served in other neighborhoods.

Rittenhouse, if you can afford it, is a nice area. Old City is trendy. Society Hill is stuffy. Northern Liberties and Fishtown are hipster paradises. Fairmount/ Art Museum area is nice but the transportation is not as good as the above neighborhoods. Manayunk is good if your job is in the western suburbs. Queen Village has a funky vibe.

A car is not essential, provided your job is in Center City or otherwise near public transportation.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Temple is ghetto

if you'r from LA, think So Central...lol

Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Center City
University City
Manayunk
Chestnut Hill
Main Line suburbs (Bala Cynwd,Wynnefield,Ardmore,Narberth,Bryn Mawr Haverford,Rosemont,Wayne)
Conshohocken
West Chester-25 miles west of center city will need a car.
Cherry Hill NJ -Will need a car.

Good luck

Old 08-31-2008, 11:06 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
You don't need a car if you live in the city. Some neighborhoods are more convenient than others but you'll figure that out quickly. My suggestion would be to rent a room in Center City for 2-3 months until you learn your way around town. That way you can figure out the neighborhood that's best for you.

In my opinion/experience, renting an apartment that you've never seen in a neighborhood that you're completely unfamiliar can lead to serious trouble.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 PM

144 posts, read 460,874 times
I'm sorry, but Temple itself is not ghetto. There are areas right around there that are great, and there's a ton of investment going on in certain areas there that are trying to turn the tide. Its much safer than areas like Strawberry Mansion and some places in West.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
I'm sorry, but Temple itself is not ghetto.
I agree. Temple isn't bad and there's so much positive stuff going on there right now.

I don't know if I would choose to live there unless I was a student, though. Only because it's very student oriented and most of the time I'd probably be headed to other parts of the city to hang out anyway.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM

183 posts, read 631,961 times
Manayunk is full of people like yourself...recent college grads looking for a neighborhood where they can walk to stores and bars, but a quick hop by train to center city. You can easily find a roommate or house share situation on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia