Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,992,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What is up with all this talk about rankings and numbers? If you ask me, those numbers have to do with what school preps the best and how much pressure is put on the kids. I'm all about good schools but there is more to life then whether a school (or a district) is ranked the best.
It also seems to be about who has the money to hire the best teachers and have the smallest class sizes.

I'm sure the differences between the top 30 schools on this list are negligible yet people get all worked up about it because they're hyper-competitive snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM

63 posts, read 125,563 times
What an interesting thread. I find it to be highly pretentious and slightly elitist to ity to boast about how our schools are better in NJ. So what? I'm sure they are all good schools. With my desire to leave this area to PA, I am concerned about where my children can get a decent education, yes, but I am more concerned with the people they will be surrounded by. If they are the kinds of people that are more concerned about what Ivy League they will be on track for by the time they are in eighth grade, I say no thank you. I want character, respect for their parents, and most importantly compassion and kindness towards others. I understand that it is not realistic that you will find this in any town today, but I am a firm believer that Top schools and money are NOT necessarily hand-in-hand with the qualities I am discussing...this thread is proof of that. That's my two-cents and I hope that we can all get along. As far as Moorestown is concerned-there's the good, the bad and the ugly with all things related to a town. NJ Cop Robert Melia Taped Having Sex with Cows - True Crime Report . That fact is, no matter how good the schools are, you have the good and bad. Here is the sad reality of such in this article found on another NJ thread to my point. We teach our children who to become by how we bahave. I hope that we can at least agree on that. I don't care if my kid goes to Harvard or Yale. I hope that they are good people who can contribute possitively to society...not like that loser in the above article.

Last edited by theflight; 11-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: missed words

Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM

7,286 posts, read 10,629,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
It also seems to be about who has the money to hire the best teachers and have the smallest class sizes.

I'm sure the differences between the top 30 schools on this list are negligible yet people get all worked up about it because they're hyper-competitive snobs.
I agree completely. Whether you're in South Jersey or SEPA -- with the notable exceptions of Philadelphia, Camden, and a handful of other municipalities with a notorious reputation for primary education -- you'd seriously have to try to find a sub-par school district. With affluence being fairly common in the suburbs, the property tax system ensures that most districts are well-funded.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-06-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia