Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times

Advertisements

And looky looky here, yet another school ranking showing that Phoenixville is higher than Perkiomen and Spring Ford. Are you sure you just moved away from PA?

http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
Very interesting, but I see Pville and Perk Valley are neck and neck. Apparently it's Pville's elementary schools that are driving up the ratings, which does make sense to me...the high school has a lot of catching up to do. I wonder if Spring-Ford's huge size and rapid expansion is hurting it...they keep having to build new elementary schools and reorganizing the secondary schools at an alarming rate.

I have to say I was pleased to see Phoenixville ranked higher than Moorestown Township

Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Hey Maestro, I just found some good current info on P-ville. I can't credit the source as it is the competition but this is good info:

Q:"...Does anyone know if the area over the Main St bridge that connects to 113 has a name? What end of Pville is this considered or is it called a separate neighborhood within Pville? We've seen some really great buys in this area and we realize homes will naturally be priced a bit lower here than the south or west side of Pville, but are there other reasons we should be aware of that makes the real estate so affordable? ..."

A:

"Its still Pville. I used to own a house out there 3 years ago on the West side of Pville by the Giant. Once across the 113 bridge there seems to be 2 separate areas. The far east side was very slummy and was a bit dangerous at night. Id suggest driving through there after 8 or 9 PM to see for yourself. Maybe it has changed since I moved out. The west side is relatively nice though. Im assuming the new developments on the west side are finished by now."

"If I were looking to buy in Phoenixville, I would avoid that spot. Most of the crime that happens in P-ville happens there, specifically that area that you are referring to over the Main Street Bridge and along the 113 corridor. There seems to be a lot of drug activity in that area. It's just not really a desireable location. Now, if you took the Main Street Bridge and turned left and went up that hill, that's not such a bad area. If I were you, I'd start reading the online version of the Phoenixville News every day to help pinpoint the troubled areas and know what streets/neighborhoods to avoid: The Phoenix - News - Front Page.
Phoenixville is a great area overall, and really experiencing some incredible growth. Good luck!"

"You will have a well dug in trashy element that isn't going anywhere soon, in addition to the valid positive elements already mentioned."

Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Hey Maestro, I just found some good current info on P-ville. I can't credit the source as it is the competition but this is good info:

Q:"...Does anyone know if the area over the Main St bridge that connects to 113 has a name? What end of Pville is this considered or is it called a separate neighborhood within Pville? We've seen some really great buys in this area and we realize homes will naturally be priced a bit lower here than the south or west side of Pville, but are there other reasons we should be aware of that makes the real estate so affordable? ..."

A:

"Its still Pville. I used to own a house out there 3 years ago on the West side of Pville by the Giant. Once across the 113 bridge there seems to be 2 separate areas. The far east side was very slummy and was a bit dangerous at night. Id suggest driving through there after 8 or 9 PM to see for yourself. Maybe it has changed since I moved out. The west side is relatively nice though. Im assuming the new developments on the west side are finished by now."

"If I were looking to buy in Phoenixville, I would avoid that spot. Most of the crime that happens in P-ville happens there, specifically that area that you are referring to over the Main Street Bridge and along the 113 corridor. There seems to be a lot of drug activity in that area. It's just not really a desireable location. Now, if you took the Main Street Bridge and turned left and went up that hill, that's not such a bad area. If I were you, I'd start reading the online version of the Phoenixville News every day to help pinpoint the troubled areas and know what streets/neighborhoods to avoid: The Phoenix - News - Front Page.
Phoenixville is a great area overall, and really experiencing some incredible growth. Good luck!"

"You will have a well dug in trashy element that isn't going anywhere soon, in addition to the valid positive elements already mentioned."
this seems to right on with what I have seen/experienced. Though there are some nicer areas in "north" P'ville, I wouldn't buy a place over there strictly because of that sketchy area right over the bridge.

I also tend to agree with the "wel dug in trashy element", I see that a bit in some areas as well. My fear is that no matter how re-energized Bridge Street gets, that sketchy element will always be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia