Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live in Camden. It's fine to go the waterfront/downtown for school or work but there's nothing going on and, more importantly, there's no grocery store. My brother goes to Rutgers and has been living there for 4 years now. Unless he needs the most basic items he has to get on the subway to Center City. I do happy hour with him at the Victor every once in a while and there's a newish bar at 3rd & Market St. , and there's the dive of dive's - Hank's. That's it. No restaurants, no shops, nada.

That, and for what you get, the rents are not at all cheap.

Collingswood or Center City/University City is what I'd suggest.

I think it's been mentioned before but Collingswood isn't very diverse in a racial sense. It's around 90% non-hispanic white. OTOH, there are a lot of same sex couples. A lot. It's a pretty welcoming town regardless of who you are. It is a dry town, though. All the restaurants are BYO. No bars. If you want to go out you have to do it in the city (not much going on in the 'burbs anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

23 posts, read 78,506 times
Default Don't do it

Don't move to Camden, no matter what you do! It is a war zone with the exception of about 2 blocks around the Rutgers campus. Even if you did plan to attend Camden-Rutgers, you should get an apartment somewhere else, such as Collingswood, and then take the short train ride to the city. And even walking a few blocks from the train station to the campus is not safe. Your best bet - if you're only considering public universities - is to go to Temple in Philadelphia, which is a better university than Rutgers anyway. And even then, you should either live on campus or get an apartment in another affordable part of the city, such as the University City neighborhood of West Philadelphia. If you have a little more cash and/or don't mind having a roommate, then living in Center City or Olde City are much better. (You can also do a reverse commute from Philadelphia to Camden by train if you end up choosing Rutgers.) Finally, if you have the grades, you might consider programs at either Villanova (in the suburbs) or at Drexel or the University of Pennsylvania (both in the city).

Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
If you think that what they do to people in Camden is bad, and it is, you should see what they do to their dogs. compassion for camden the mean streets

I am NOT kidding when I say do not look if you're squeamish.

"Not to hurt our humble brethren, the animals, is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission -- to be of service to them whenever they require it... If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

~Saint Francis of Assisi

Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I wouldn't live in Camden. It's fine to go the waterfront/downtown for school or work but there's nothing going on and, more importantly, there's no grocery store. My brother goes to Rutgers and has been living there for 4 years now. Unless he needs the most basic items he has to get on the subway to Center City. I do happy hour with him at the Victor every once in a while and there's a newish bar at 3rd & Market St. , and there's the dive of dive's - Hank's. That's it. No restaurants, no shops, nada.
Have you been over to the 20 Horse Tavern over on 2nd St? Nice little place.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Dave View Post
Don't move to Camden, no matter what you do! It is a war zone with the exception of about 2 blocks around the Rutgers campus.
A lot of Camden is bad. Not all of it is a war zone.

Quote:
Even if you did plan to attend Camden-Rutgers, you should get an apartment somewhere else, such as Collingswood, and then take the short train ride to the city. And even walking a few blocks from the train station to the campus is not safe. Your best bet - if you're only considering public universities - is to go to Temple in Philadelphia, which is a better university than Rutgers anyway.
Having gone to both schools . . . Temple is most certainly not a better school than Rutgers. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that the Temple campus is safer. But don't take my word for it. Google any of the rankings.

Quote:
And even then, you should either live on campus or get an apartment in another affordable part of the city, such as the University City neighborhood of West Philadelphia. If you have a little more cash and/or don't mind having a roommate, then living in Center City or Olde City are much better. (You can also do a reverse commute from Philadelphia to Camden by train if you end up choosing Rutgers.) Finally, if you have the grades, you might consider programs at either Villanova (in the suburbs) or at Drexel or the University of Pennsylvania (both in the city).
'nova and Drexel, fine schools that they are, are not in the same league as Penn.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
5 words: avoid Camden like the plague. It's a very poor, dangerous and mostly run-down city.

There are many towns in Camden County that are nice, but just avoid the city of Camden.

If you give us more specifics of what you're looking for (i.e. budget, etc.) we can probably give you more specific advice.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:58 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
'nova and Drexel, fine schools that they are, are not in the same league as Penn.
It depends on the programs for those three schools. I went to Villanova undergrad and Penn grad. Again, all three have their strengths and weaknesses. Just because Penn is "Ivy League" doesn't make it better in all curriculums. The Philly area is blessed with many fine universities.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 78,506 times
Quote:
A lot of Camden is bad. Not all of it is a war zone.
All parts of Camden that are within a short distance of the Rutgers campus are a war zone (other than the campus itself and a small perimeter). I agree that neighborhoods on the edge of the city are halfway decent, but the original poster will likely not live in Fairview Village while attending Rutgers.

Quote:
Having gone to both schools . . . Temple is most certainly not a better school than Rutgers. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that the Temple campus is safer. But don't take my word for it. Google any of the rankings.
I Googled the rankings, and I was shocked to see that Rutgers does generally have better rankings than Temple. However, I still believe that Rutgers' Camden campus does not have nearly the panache that the main campus has. And for that reason, I think that Temple and Rutgers-Camden are viewed as near-equals in the Philadelphia area. (And I also believe that Temple has a safer campus, although I agree that it is still fairly dangerous.)

Quote:
I never said that Villanova and Drexel were in the same league as Penn. (And as a Penn grad, I appreciate you recognizing my alma mater's distinction.)

Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
Does Rutgers have a strong alumni network like Temple? Since I have to ask, I'm guessing the answer is no...

Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Dave View Post
I never said that Villanova and Drexel were in the same league as Penn. (And as a Penn grad, I appreciate you recognizing my alma mater's distinction.)

Well Drexel is not in the same league as Villanova. As far as Penn goes, yeah, its got Wharton and that's great, I went there too, but in areas like engineering, nursing and arts Villanova compares well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia