Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 89,789 times

Advertisements

Sounds good! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,986,049 times
Thought this might be of use . . .

Midtown Village

Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Thanks for the link. Now that I think of it, I guess that area didn't really have a name for a long time. I think someone tried to call it SoSa (South of Sansom) but that didn't stick. I'm glad to hear that this area is starting to take off.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM

301 posts, read 922,374 times
i think i've notice 2 other clubs in the area besides Woody's. I've never actually gone in them, though... :-|

Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM

There are a lot of clubs there. Pure is probably the biggest. Woody's the most well known, my neighbor is a bouncer there. 12th Air Command on 12th St. Sal's on 12th. Key West. Sister's.

The gayborhood has been moving along with the rest of the Center City for the last decade. It's really been Tony Goldman and his whole "B3" (Blocks Below Broad) concept that changed the dynamic from gay ghetto to cosmo enclave. "Straight" establishments like Ludwig's and Fergie's and McMillan's have been there for years but Goldman ushered in El Vez (a Steven Starr joint) a boutique deli, the artisan pizza, the best gelato in the friggin' world, a byo indian restaurant (not that he owns these businesses but his company actively recruited them).

Actually, now that I think about it Ludwig's is gone now, replaced with a trendy restaurant/lounge.

Don't get me wrong, it still has its seedy side that comes out after dark but it peacefully coexists with the nightlife. The trannies still prowl 12th St. at night and the suburban dads still cruise in their pickup trucks and minivans picking them up.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
There are a lot of clubs there. Pure is probably the biggest. Woody's the most well known, my neighbor is a bouncer there. 12th Air Command on 12th St. Sal's on 12th. Key West. Sister's.

The gayborhood has been moving along with the rest of the Center City for the last decade. It's really been Tony Goldman and his whole "B3" (Blocks Below Broad) concept that changed the dynamic from gay ghetto to cosmo enclave.
Yeah, that's the guy I was trying to think of... and that B3 acronym too. Thanks!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it still has its seedy side that comes out after dark but it peacefully coexists with the nightlife. The trannies still prowl 12th St. at night and the suburban dads still cruise in their pickup trucks and minivans picking them up.
On a similar note, I'd wonder if there were any actual female entrepreneurs still plying over on Juniper.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
On a similar note, I'd wonder if there were any actual female entrepreneurs still plying over on Juniper.
No. that sort of vice in Center City works like it does in the suburbs. Middle-class and rich people won't tolerate people hanging out on the corner. You call someone and they come to your house to deliver. The transactions are always very discreet. You'd never know they were dealers or hookers if you passed them on the street. It's all very professional and business-like, as it should be, I suppose.

Note that neither the trannies nor the johns live in the gayborhood. The neighbors don't really tolerate it but because the trannies keep the whole thing moving the whole time the cops have a hard time making the busts they need to.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
No. that sort of vice in Center City works like it does in the suburbs. Middle-class and rich people won't tolerate people hanging out on the corner. You call someone and they come to your house to deliver. The transactions are always very discreet. You'd never know they were dealers or hookers if you passed them on the street. It's all very professional and business-like, as it should be, I suppose.

Note that neither the trannies nor the johns live in the gayborhood. The neighbors don't really tolerate it but because the trannies keep the whole thing moving the whole time the cops have a hard time making the busts they need to.
Ah... so you're saying that even back in the 90's, there may have been more to those ladies I saw on Juniper than meets the eye?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 11,148 times
i hav no idea what your talking about be honist how old are you

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 11,148 times
Default what

no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia