Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times

Advertisements

Hi folks- I've been reading through past posts and thank everyone for the wonderful feedback on neighborhoods, etc. I have some specific questions about housing that I hope will not be redundant. Here's our basic information:

When are you moving? Between May and July 2009
Where are you coming from? We're originally from NY, have also lived in Birmingham, AL and currently live in Seattle, WA.
Why are you moving? Both for my husband's career and to be closer to east coast family
Where will you be working? Still up in the air, possibly Berwyn, Blue Bell, Media or Center City
Have you been here yet? We haven't been to the Philly area in about 15 years but plan to do a housing scouting trip within the next 2 months.

Will you buy or rent? We plan to rent for 1-2 years before purchasing a home.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom detached house in the north or western suburbs with a yard. Our budget is between $1200-1800/month.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? We're in our early 30s, married, with a 6-month old
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public schools in good school districts or Catholic schools in less-good school districts. Although our son isn't of school-age yet, we'd prefer to rent near/in towns we're considering purchasing in.
Do you have pets? 2 Australian cattle dogs and 3 indoor-only cats...I know, I know, it's a lot of pets (but we have a great rental history even with them!)
Do you want or need a yard? We need a yard, preferably fenced or with a dog-run.
Are you keeping a car? We have one car
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We prefer a quiet suburban neighborhood within 30-45 minute driving distance of activity.

What do you want to be closest to? In order of importance, high to low:
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Work
Shopping
Train or subway stations
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We strongly prefer diversity but have lived in homogeneous communities before. We would like to be in close proximity to some other families with small children.

We've been looking at all of the usual suspects (e.g., craigslist, realtors.com, etc.) to find rental houses and are wondering if anyone knows of more local sources for rental houses (e.g., local papers?) We just want to be certain we're looking at all of the options.

From what we've seen thus far, some of the areas we like include Blue Bell, Downington, Media, and Abington. Unfortunately, we haven't seen very much in the way of available rental houses in those areas. Can anyone recommend other similar-type neighborhoods that may have a greater selection of rental houses?

Thanks so much in advance for any input! If I've left anything pertinent out, please feel free to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,529,365 times
Use realtor.com, rental tab, pick a town you like and a radius and get looking... or maybe hotpads.com. I wouldn't go local papers or craigslist bc I feel you get more savvy owners=better properties online.

You should check out West Chester and Exton, Lionville, Chester Springs, Malvern, Wallingford/Rose Valley/Nether Providence, Elwyn, Middletown, East/West Goshen (West Chester), Caln Twp/Coatesville (not the city but east of it is really nice inexpensive living...though Catholic school is pretty much a must). Phoenixville, Collegeville, King of Prussia, East Norriton, Jeffersonville (Norristown schools are also bad), Whitemarsh, Plymouth Meeting, Conshohocken.

Also Jenkintown, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Wynnewood in the city but I would guess rents will be much higher for what you are looking for.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM

160 posts, read 802,736 times
check out allaroundphilly.com and look under the real estate section. I found my first apartment this way and it was fine because it was a private rental which let us have a W/D,parking,etc for $950.It was a 2 bedroom. I don't know if you will find a single home for that rental, but I guess it's possible right now with so many people wanting to sell. also, if possible, get a copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Metro and check out the real estate listings there. Maybe a friend could mail you one.Good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the input! Orrbl: your specific recommendations are great! I will definitely broaden my search to include them. Follow-up question: are the towns with poorer school districts (e.g., Coatesville, Jeffersonville) safe (just with poor schools) or does the safety leave something to be desired as well?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM

You're welcome. Those areas are safe, the schools are just not so great, especially that the high school level when kids from all over the area converge in one building. I have been here in Coatesville (Thorndale/Caln Twp) for 2 years and love it - we are renting a 4 br 2500 sq ft home with another 500 sq ft finished basement for $1650/month...can't beat it with a stick!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM

23 posts, read 78,533 times
Check out Ambler and Glenside in Montgomery County. (FYI, Glenside is a neighborhood that spreads across parts of Abington and Cheltenham townships; Abington has better schools.) Ambler's schools (Wissahickon School District) are even better, but I'm not certain if you'll be able to find what you're looking for in your price range -- but I would expect you could. Ambler would be great if you plan to work in Blue Bell. And both towns are on the SEPTA lines if you will work in Center City.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM

40 posts, read 174,475 times
where in Seatle do you live?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks again orrbl - your place sounds like just what we're looking for (not moving any time soon are you ?? )
Philly Dave- Thanks so much for the specific schools info!
Mr. Moose - we're in the southern suburbs of Seattle, why do you ask?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks again orrbl - your place sounds like just what we're looking for (not moving any time soon are you ?? )
Actually we should be moving by midsummer, maybe sooner, just depends when we find a house and can make settlement....if you're interested, just let me know! I'm sure the owner would be happy to have a new tenant lined up...

Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM

172 posts, read 843,866 times
Default go to philly soon!

Philadelphia is the best nice for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia