Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 42,184 times

Advertisements

Hello. My GF and I are planning to move out to PA when we're finished with our schooling. Quick background, she's in Medical Billing and Coding and I am studying automotive repair, more specifically for Toyota. She will be interested in staying near Philly for schooling as she will be continuing her education after we move.

We would like to get a place near Philly/King of Prussia for the schooling and the Mall, of course. We'll be looking for an apartment first, then a house once everything is settled. We're planning to have 1-2 children, so schooling and family friendly areas are important. Also being close to a nice park and/or jogging/biking trails would be nice.

We were looking at KoP and found many nice, affordable, places to live there, but heard it's not family friendly, but more for young couples without children. A friend mentioned Conshohocken as being more socialized and having a bit more nightlife.

Looking to get away from the craziness of NJ and find a nice neighborhood to raise a few children with good schools, that's near a hospital/doctors office and a Toyota dealership. The shorter the commute the better, but a short commute is not top priority.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you all in advance,

Crystal and Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,899 times
what's your budget?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
Since you are renting first, no need to worry about schools etc. After you live here and decide which area you like and start house hunting you can worry about all that. king of Prussia isn't family unfriendly but it's very commercial (think Paramus) with lots of traffic and also a big employment center. There are Toyota dealers everywhere in the metro. Conshohocken is maybe more of a singles place but it has the advantage of being at the center of the metro and also it's closer to the city but you can do better. Pull out your map and look for somthing between K of P on the west and Rt1 (City line Av) on the east but stay out of Norristown. Remember it's just temporary. www.4wallsinphilly.com is the best apartment hunting site.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,881 times
Ardmore: Ardmore Toyota - New Toyotas | Used Cars | Philadelphia | Abington | Ardmore | PA

Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM

14 posts, read 42,184 times
Thanks. Right now, we're looking at apartments at around $1200/mo, give or take, and everything we've found has looked fantastic and given far more for far less then out here in NJ. Extra kicker is all the places we've looked at (online) have pools and fitness centers as part of the apartment complex.

As far as cost for a house, I'm willing to go as high as 350K, but looking at the 250-300K range. Found a few nice ones in Lancaster, but we're not too sure we want to move there. I've got about a year and a half more school before I can go anywhere, so we have time to plan further, just trying to get a general idea.

Looking to print up some motivational pictures of the place we want, to look at every morning before heading off to work/school to remind us what we are working so hard for.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM

15 posts, read 29,587 times
How about Central Montgomery County? Lansdale, North Wales, Gwynned? North Penn School district is the best in the area. I live in Harleysville, and pay $875 for a two bedroom, with basement and a nice size yard, in a family neighborhood. You could certainly find a nice home to purchase that is within your budget in this area. There is a Toyota dealership closeby! (will you be seeking employment there?) There are many things to do in the Montgomeryville area (mall, movies, every restaurant you could imagine, and that Toyota dealership!! LOL) Plus, close proximity to the Turnpike, and 309 if you want to escape! I personally am not a fan of the KOP area, and am never interested in going to that crazy mall. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck with everything.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Toyota Dealer Locator Search - Find Toyota Dealer

Wayne or Devon might be worth considering. Not sure how much rent would be up that way.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 67,584 times
A bit outside KOP consider the collegeville/royersford/limerick area if you decide to go a little more suburban than KOP while still having a ton of dining/shopping options

KOP is generally a seriously brutal traffic jam zone if that matters to you (not compared to Philly, but compared to other suburban locations)

I rent a 2 bed 2 bath 2 car garage APT on a golf course in a very nice suburban area with full gym, pool, etc. for 1,200 in Limerick

We got Perruzi Toyota right down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia