Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This summer my husband and I are moving to Philadelphia. He's leaving 3 months beforehand and will be staying with family while searching for a job and housing. We're both students and we will probably attend the community college there until we can transfer. I'm just trying to get a feel of the city and want to get some advice on where we should live.

When are you moving? Summer, 2010.
Where are you coming from? Los Angeles.
Why are you moving? New start and I want seasons!
Where will you be working? No idea. My future degree is in Human Resources and my husband is studying Computer Information Systems. He currently works in fast food and I work in an office at my college.
Have you been here yet? Husband visited when he was young and I've never left the state.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Anything with a kitchen and bathroom! Ideally we'll want something under $900, including utilities.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? We're not picky.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married and no kids yet.
Do you have pets?
We have 2 cockatiels and 5 parakeets. Yes, we're crazy bird people.
Do you want or need a yard? A yard is nice, but we don't really care.
Are you keeping a car? We don't own one.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I'd like to live somewhere pretty low key, but has lots to do. Maybe close to some night life.

What do you want to be closest to?
Defiantly want to be close to transportation and a supermarket. A 30 minute commute to school wouldn't be too bad.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
It'd be nice to live near other young people and pretty liberal.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

388 posts, read 1,096,097 times
Manayunk, Fairmount, Roxborough and University City.

It depends on where you want to go to school.

If you are considering Penn or Drexel then probably UCity. St.Joes/Villanova then I would recommend one of the towns along Lancaster Ave. If Philadelphia Textile then East Falls, Manayunk or Roxborough. If Temple then Spring Garden, Fairmount or N. Philly as long as it is right near campus.

Philadelphia Community College is on Spring Garden and the neighborhood is good from 15th to 30th and North to Girard. That neighborhood has easy access to both Temple in N. PHilly and University City.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
Where in LA do you live? Aside from being tired of LA does your current neighborhood suit your lifestyle?

What's your rent budget?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,852 times
We plan on attending Philadelphia Community College until we can transfer to a university.

We currently live in Rosemead. It's a suburb of LA. Everything is so far apart and I hate the weather. We were both born and raised here and just need change.

Ideally our total rent would be under $900, including utilities.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,836,180 times
the community college is at 17th and spring garden, the neighborhood to the north is spring garden, to the south franklintown. given your price range, desire to live near some nightlife, supermaket, etc I'd recommend spring garden (roughly broad west to the art museum, fairmount ave south to spring garden). you can walk to school. Philly is very easy to walk around, blocks are small, density is high. spring garden is about a 15 min walk to center city, there are a lot of young people (couples and singles) in the spring garden neighborhood as well. it's 15 min to the train station (commuter rail) and there's a subway stop at broad and spring garden as well as broad and fairmount. neighborhood has plenty of trees which makes fall pleasant. note, don't know if you have a car or two but living here would certainly allow you to use it less.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,988,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzie View Post
We currently live in Rosemead. It's a suburb of LA. Everything is so far apart and I hate the weather. We were both born and raised here and just need change.

Ideally our total rent would be under $900, including utilities.
hmmm . . . $900 can get you into a lot of different neighborhoods it just depends on how cramped you and your bf want to be. If you look in South Philly, near the Broad St. Subway, you'll find 2 or 3 bedroom houses in that price range in some areas and 1 or 2 bedroom apartments in other areas. It all depends on how new the place is and if it's close to shops, the subway, etc.

If you look along 17th & 18th Streets just south of South St. you should be able to find a one bedroom for that price.

Right around CCP you'll probably be looking at one bedrooms and studios. If you go further north and west from CCP (mostly north) you'll start to find 2 bedrooms again in your price range.

It's pretty easy to get around here so I wouldn't worry too much about where you live . . . as long as you're within 2-3 miles of the school you'll be fine.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 31,403 times
Perhaps you've already researched this, but my impression is that community college in Philadelphia is a lot more expensive than in Southern California.. Just a quick look on the PCC and CCP websites shows $26 a credit versus $122 a credit..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,836,180 times
saw a $900 2BR just today in the spring garden area. probably a ten minute walk to CCP. brand new to boot, deals to be had out there indeed.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Just a heads up, all Community Colleges that I've looked at have residency requirements so you should probably look into what needs to be done ASAP so you can quickly put down legal roots. As desert tortoise has mentioned CC's in Pennsylvania are much higher priced (as are our four year degree State Colleges) then those in California. Also, if you intend to continue your education and get a four year degree you will want to make sure the CC has a reciprocity agreement with a State College so you won't waste any credits. Unlike the California system, it's not always a smooth move from one college to another.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM

418 posts, read 1,350,148 times
First ...Welcome to Philadelphia ..

These folks are very helpful ... also in the middle of Fishtown $$$.. Port Richmond .. $$
Northern Liberties $$$$

New Kensington Community Development Corporation -

This is an area that will have rents in your range .. maybe a small house.
The birds may create an issue .. but I am sure someone will allow pets.
You will not need a car and could .. bike .. walk or take public to CCCP.
It has arts areas and restaurants and great places that support the indie music culture.

Johnny Brendas
The Fire at the Philadelphia Bar & Grille on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Atlantis, The Lost Bar - Kensington - Philadelphia, PA

CRANE ARTS
Inliquid.com

Greensgrow Farm - Growers of food, flowers and neighborhoods

As to enrolling .. they will take anyone ..
Just that it is cheaper for those who have a Philly residence ..
Others are charged a crazy rate and must pay all up front ..
If there are relatives with a Philly address .. you could register .. but .. you may want to have your own address first .. to avoid problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia