Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,423 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Villanova to pursue graduate school. I will not be taking my car (expenses/insurance). I have searched through these forums but have not found a location where a graduate student can live without a car. I would prefer to live near campus. Furthermore, the main things I am looking for are to be near the R (train) so that I can ride to school or be within walking distance. Also, equally important is safety and convenience to grocery stores. Final criteria would be somewhat affordable: 750ish for studio/1broom Do any locals know where to search or what places I should be living at. I appreciate all your help.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
I don't spend a lot of time reading posts from other cities on here but is "safety" a universal, primary concern? Or is it unique to people posting on the Philadelphia page?

The Main Line (where Villanova is) is a collection of some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country and certainly in Pennsylvania. Safety is not an issue.

The train is the R5. The Route 100 is a light rail line that runs past the campus. It connects with the subway in Philly on one end and with the R6 train up in Norristown. There's also a bus on Lancaster Ave. that runs fairly frequently (and right through Villanova).

I would check out downtown Ardmore and Bryn Mawr. You won't need a car in either place and when you get bored with the local offerings it's a 20 minute train ride to Center City. Narberth is also worth checking out.

Really, anywhere along the R5 or Route 100 will be suitable but, obviously, if you're in one of the downtowns you can walk to the grocery store and the other shops, restaurants, bars, etc and it will make life a lot easier.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Most familys in Villinova have extra cars for the use of the help. Maybe you can borrow one.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Did you look here? http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife/reslife/offcampus/ (broken link)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:26 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
People have summed it up pretty well. Safety won't be an issue at all. Your rent maximum might be slightly low. Lancaster Ave (aka Rt. 30) is the main drag through all the neighboring Main Line towns and you should be able to get all of your necessities via the #105 bus that travels that street, essentially mimicing the R5 train. Ideally you'll also make friends that you can on grocery runs with.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,423 times
How much does Ardmore and Bryn Mawr run?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
www.4wallsinphilly.com
www.apartmentguide.com
www.realtor.com using the "rent" option
www.rent.com
Use 19010 as a base to start from.
Also Craigs List will have less expensive listings but they make it so hard to use because they aren't segregated geographicly.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 35,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillU2011 View Post
How much does Ardmore and Bryn Mawr run?
You are talking about some of the nicest and most expensive towns in the Philadelphia area. I grew up in Springfield Delaware County, a very nice, and I would say perfect town, and the towns you are talking about make us look like poor people.

If you do not come from a lot of money, check around. There are places near Bryn Mawr hospital that are not as expensive.

As a home inspector once put it to me, the only zip code with no bad area, is Villanova.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia