Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,515,873 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing Chelsea Handler at Tower Theater in April and I'm trying to book a hotel now. I'm looking on hotels.com and finding many options but I'd like to pay around 100 a night. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. I'd prefer 5-10 miles away from the Tower Theater.

We are staying 2 nights but the first night we wanted to go out in Philly. I'm seeing a few different hotels

Rodeway INN, Spring field - is this hotel close to bars and restaurants? Its really hard to tell from the website. Is the springfield area a decent area to stay at and go to bars?

The rest of the hotels are by the airport and are 5-6 miles from the Tower Theater. But I'm not sure if this would be a fun area to stay in. Does any body have any reccomedatiosn on cheap hotels? Or does anyone know if springfield is a fun area? We are in our 20's and don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do for 2 days.

Also .... does the tower theater have parking available?

Last edited by hkrn44; 01-23-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,197,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I'm seeing Chelsea Handler at Tower Theater in April and I'm trying to book a hotel now. I'm looking on hotels.com and finding many options but I'd like to pay around 100 a night. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. I'd prefer 5-10 miles away from the Tower Theater.

We are staying 2 nights but the first night we wanted to go out in Philly. I'm seeing a few different hotels

Rodeway INN, Spring field - is this hotel close to bars and restaurants? Its really hard to tell from the website. Is the springfield area a decent area to stay at and go to bars?

The rest of the hotels are by the airport and are 5-6 miles from the Tower Theater. But I'm not sure if this would be a fun area to stay in. Does any body have any reccomedatiosn on cheap hotels? Or does anyone know if springfield is a fun area? We are in our 20's and don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do for 2 days.

Also .... does the tower theater have parking available?
I've always been mystifed that the 69th Street area - where Tower Theater is located - has not built upon the advantage of having that venue in the area. Besides a few fast-food and pizza joints, there isn't really any after-concert options in that area. Springfield is a decent but sleepy suburb for your purposes. The airport basically has your usual casual restaurants like Ruby Tuesday's.

The good news: Tower Theater is just steps away from the elevated train at 69th Street that can take you back into Center City (downtown) in about 20 minutes. Center City is the epicenter of nightlife so I would strongly suggest looking for a hotel there, even if you have to up your budget a bit... which may not necessarily happen.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,992,832 times
I'd pick any hotel in Center City or University City that's within 3 blocks of Market St.

You can, of course, go with the chains but I recommend this place - http://www.societyhillhotel.com

Last edited by solibs; 01-23-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM

418 posts, read 1,350,775 times
CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

Free or low cost ... meet interesting people ... look for recommended "couches"

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,596,700 times
I would try bidding on Priceline for a 3 1/2* hotel in downtown Philadelphia starting at $65.00. If not accepted, I would raise my increments by $5.00. I have gotten great deals on Priceline.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM

I really don't think we'd be doing the train thing. So Springfield is a boring suburb? I definitely don't want to go bar hopping and be in a massively crowded bar where you can't move. But I would like to have a good time and not pay 10 dollars for a beer. Could I find something like that downtown in Philly?

I found a hotel downtown called Club Quarters. Its on 1628 Chestnut St. Is this a fun area? With some bars, places to eat, etc in walking distance? Is it a safe area?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM

388 posts, read 1,096,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I really don't think we'd be doing the train thing. So Springfield is a boring suburb? I definitely don't want to go bar hopping and be in a massively crowded bar where you can't move. But I would like to have a good time and not pay 10 dollars for a beer. Could I find something like that downtown in Philly?

I found a hotel downtown called Club Quarters. Its on 1628 Chestnut St. Is this a fun area? With some bars, places to eat, etc in walking distance? Is it a safe area?

Where are you coming from?

I would definitely recommend center city. You can pretty much stay anywhere within walking distance to the El. Center City, Old City, UCity. If you take the Market Frankford El it will only cost you $1.50 to get to the venue. I have stayed at the Latham for $140 but I am sure there are plenty of rooms cheaper.

A cheap bar in center city is McGillians which is only a couple blocks from the Market El. I don't remember the exact prices but it is cheap and

Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM

We are coming from Pittsburgh. The hotel in Springfield is really close to the tower theater, and then the 2nd one I mentioned about is about 5miles from tower theater. We didn't want to spent more than $100 a night, TOTAL. And pretty much all of the hotels cost over $100, or they are located at the airport.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,424,036 times
No, Springfield is not a fun area where you can walk around to bars and restaurants. Rodeway Inn is on Baltimore Pike, which is a very busy road that is not pedestrian-friendly. The airport area would be even deader and definitely not walkable. If you're coming to Philly and want to have a fun night out, find somewhere in Center City, where you can walk and get a flavor of the city. You could take public transit to 69th St. and back to the city after the show, or drive out there (check the theater for parking). I think it would be extremely boring to stay at either the Rodeway or the airport, but it depends what you're looking for.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 PM

I appreciate all the comments and from what you said it doesn't seem like a good idea to stay in Springfield or at the airport.

But no one has commented on the hotel I found downtown called Club quarters, located on Chestnut st. Is this a good area? Fun things to do? Bars, restaurants, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia