Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM

16 posts, read 28,148 times

Advertisements

I will be moving there in July from Milwaukee, WI for a new job. I will be working in Langhorne 3 days a week (right next to the Septa train stop) and driving to different places the other two days of the week.

I will be renting at first and hope to get some place between Langhorne and Philadelphia that is also by a septa train stop that leads to Langhorne. At some point soon in the future I wish to buy a house that will meet my needs for as cheap as I can get.

Can anyone recommend any apartments between or even in the Northeast area of Philadelphia that is near the R3 train stop going to West Trenton? Hopefully near stores or night life (one of the two would be fine).

I want to spend no more than 900 dollars on an apartment, preferably 700ish (trying to save for house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 AM

596 posts, read 1,708,601 times
I would check out The Colonade apartment building in Jenkintown which is a quick walk to the train station and an easy commute to either Langhorne or Philadelphia. They have one bedrooms for $700.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,990,725 times
Yeah, Jenkintown would be a good fit.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,580,398 times
I also agree, Jenkintown would be your best choice.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM

16 posts, read 28,148 times
I checked Apartmentratings.com for reviews for The Colonade. Apparently the people who live or lived there hate it. Anyone else know anything about it. Are there any other recommended apartments?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,841,645 times
you might also want to look into the 14 bus, if it suits your needs, perhaps some place like mayfair would work. the 14 runs VERY often.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,990,725 times
I don't know about the Colonnade but if your plan is a temporary (up to a year) crash pad why not look into it? You might also want to check out Craigslist for anything close to Old York Rd. up there.

Jenkintown Borough is pretty small. Maybe 1 square mile and a big chunk of that is the downtown and a few big apartment bldgs. The borough is surrounded by Cheltenham (on the south) and Abington (to the north)Townships. If you lived in Jenkintown you'd be able to take care of most day-to-day stuff on foot.

Jenkintown Station is over on the western edge of the borough. It's convenient because that station is served by the R3 (to get you to Langhorne) but it is also served by the R1, R2 and R5 so if you want to get in to the city there's a train every 15 minutes or so.

Just to the north of Jenkintown is Noble station (on the R3). It's right on Old York Rd. and a 5-10 minute walk from downtown Jenkintown. I would look along Old York Rd. between Noble Station and south to where it crosses/merges with Washington Ln. The buses on Old York (aka 611) are frequent and connect with the Broad St. Subway and will take you up to the Willow Grove mall.

Also, there are a lot of apartments/rentals along the R3 near the Somerton and Forest Hills stations. Nothing wrong with those places - just not as convenient/convivial as Jenkintown.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,100,659 times
There are quite a few apartment complexes in Jenkintown. Most are mid-rise buildings (5-10 floors).

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity801 View Post
I checked Apartmentratings.com for reviews for The Colonade. Apparently the people who live or lived there hate it. Anyone else know anything about it. Are there any other recommended apartments?
Apartmentratings.com and similar sites, are venues for the disenchanted to cast aspersions and "get even". They represent a small overall percentage of residents and I would not base any decisions solely on what is posted on those sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia