Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenlouise37 View Post

So, I was wondering if any of you had suggestions about if there are places closer to Abington Memorial Hospital that would have other young single professionals around- possibly even others that work at the hospital. I would love a place where I could walk out and go to a little coffee shop or bookstore, but would also be able to get into the city as well. I would love to be able to go to a nice gym, a yoga studio, interesting restaurants, maybe some book clubs, and art galleries... Is there anything that anyone knows of that is like that?

Thanks!
Lauren

What neighborhoods have you ruled out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 14,849 times
Duderino- thanks so much for the places to check out. I drove through Conshohocken, but really didn't see a lot of places around. Is there a street that a lot of things are located around? I also really liked the Manayunk area, so I may check that out a little more. I heard that it would be a difficult commute to Abington from both Conshohocken and Manayunk though. I didn't see Ambler yet, but I will have to make it a priority.

CrashTestPelosi- I really haven't ruled anything out yet. I mostly started realizing that commuting from Center City may not be the best option, so I was trying to broaden my horizons to look at places outside of the city where I could meet other people.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's help! All of you have been so helpful!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Hi again everyone,

I have spent the past couple of days in and around the city and still have not found an ideal situation. I didn't realize that the R2 only runs on a set schedule. After living in Boston and DC where the trains come so frequently, I was really surprised and disappointed by it. I am also not sure the R2 schedule would work with my work schedule and it would be about $200 a month.
The Regional Rail is sort of like a more frequent Virginia Railway Express or Maryland's MARC trains. As DC is perhaps one-fourth the size of Philly, it's easier for them to extend their Metro subway out of the city. I don't know enough about Boston and their "T" trains to comment on that.

Quote:
So, I was wondering if any of you had suggestions about if there are places closer to Abington Memorial Hospital that would have other young single professionals around- possibly even others that work at the hospital. I would love a place where I could walk out and go to a little coffee shop or bookstore, but would also be able to get into the city as well. I would love to be able to go to a nice gym, a yoga studio, interesting restaurants, maybe some book clubs, and art galleries... Is there anything that anyone knows of that is like that?
It will be difficult to find that in a place particularly close to Abington. As I may have shared before, Abington and the areas surrounding it are geared primarily for families and "lifers". There are places where you can find some of what you're looking for - Duderino mentioned all the ones that I would have thought of while I might add back Glenside again - but you may have to hop into your car or accept a longer commute. For convenience's sake, I'd recommend Jenkintown. I feel it would provide enough for you to "get by" until you can hit Center City on the weekends.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Get a car, and everything will change. SEPTA needs to improve its regional rail frequency.

Mount Airy(Within the city limits), Glenside(basically a part of Abington), Jenkintown(also in Abington), or Roslyn(Another section of Abington) would suit you best.

can't stress this enough, get a car or you will be miserable.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM

8 posts, read 14,849 times
I already have a car- so that isn't a problem at all!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I already have a car- so that isn't a problem at all!
Than you have a whole lot of options.

Northeast Philly, Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Glenside, Jenkintown, Roslyn, Willow Grove, Hatboro, Ambler.

All these places are in or adjacent to Abington.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Than you have a whole lot of options.

Northeast Philly, Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Glenside, Jenkintown, Roslyn, Willow Grove, Hatboro, Ambler.

All these places are in or adjacent to Abington.
The thing is, I believe the OP is looking for a suburban town center with amenities that appeal to young professionals. Of those you mention, Jenkintown comes close. Someone suggested Ambler as well. Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy wouldn't be bad but would subject her to the city wage tax which she wishes to avoid, not to mention a bit of distance.

The areas around here that might appeal themost - e.g. West Chester, Media, Wayne, Conshohocken, Doylestown* - are too far.

*Doylestown is maybe 20 miles due north of Abington but you may not want to head out there after a "36-hour" rotation.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The thing is, I believe the OP is looking for a suburban town center with amenities that appeal to young professionals. Of those you mention, Jenkintown comes close. Someone suggested Ambler as well. Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy wouldn't be bad but would subject her to the city wage tax which she wishes to avoid, not to mention a bit of distance.

The areas around here that might appeal themost - e.g. West Chester, Media, Wayne, Conshohocken, Doylestown* - are too far.

*Doylestown is maybe 20 miles due north of Abington but you may not want to head out there after a "36-hour" rotation.
Mt. airy to Abington Hospital is literally a 10 minute drive if that. Definitley not that far.

You've been gone for a while.

The entire Old York corridor just north of the city from Cheltenham up to Hatboro is a lot different than it was even a few years ago, and continues to change in an effort to become more pedestrian friendly and cater to a younger crowd.

Working at Abington Hospital, it would make the most sense to live in greater Abington. It was voted one of the best places in America to live.

As far as town centers, you have downtown glenside(which has improved alot), Keswick village(in Glenside), Jenkintown(which in of itself is basically a town center), Wadsworth(in Mt. Airy), and Roslyn valley(which is decent). and for higher end shopping you have the Willow Grove Park area. Not to mention all of old york and easton roads is built out with commercial developement.

I wouldn't tell somebody to live way out of their way when everything they're looking for is within a 1-2 mile radious of their job.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Mt. airy to Abington Hospital is literally a 10 minute drive if that. Definitley not that far.

You've been gone for a while.

The entire Old York corridor just north of the city from Cheltenham up to Hatboro is a lot different than it was even a few years ago, and continues to change in an effort to become more pedestrian friendly and cater to a younger crowd.

Working at Abington Hospital, it would make the most sense to live in greater Abington. It was voted one of the best places in America to live.

As far as town centers, you have downtown glenside(which has improved alot), Keswick village(in Glenside), Jenkintown(which in of itself is basically a town center), Wadsworth(in Mt. Airy), and Roslyn valley(which is decent). and for higher end shopping you have the Willow Grove Park area. Not to mention all of old york and easton roads is built out with commercial developement.

I wouldn't tell somebody to live way out of their way when everything they're looking for is within a 1-2 mile radious of their job.
Perhaps I over-estimated the distance between Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy and Abington as I've never personally done that route.

I would agree that greater Abington makes the best sense. I've said before that Jenkintown essentially serves as the town center for the area. I've known that Glenside's Keswick Avenue area has improved; apparently I need to check out the downtown area too. Hatboro has some potential although I think it just appeals to "everybody". Glad to hear that Wadsworth is coming up too.

I grew up in Abington and still have family and friends there so I know all the basic retail needs are there let alone Willow Grove Park and the strip mall "across the border" in Lower Moreland. Even on recent visits though, I didn't get the impression that there was necessarily anything new that might appeal to younger professionals beyond the aforementioned Glenside and Jenkintown. Even then, I still don't believe those areas will necessarily provide the quasi-urban amenities I believe the OP is seeking.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
If you're set on living near the hospital then it should really be a choice between Glenside and Jenkintown and maybe Mt. Airy. There are a a few apartment towers along Old York Rd. just south of Jenkintown that would be a quick ride to AMH . . . but it really sounds like CC is where you want to be and that's why i'm replying.

Quote:
Hi again everyone,

I have spent the past couple of days in and around the city and still have not found an ideal situation. I didn't realize that the R2 only runs on a set schedule. After living in Boston and DC where the trains come so frequently, I was really surprised and disappointed by it. I am also not sure the R2 schedule would work with my work schedule and it would be about $200 a month.
Boston has a Blue, Orange, Red and Green line. So does Philly. Boston has 13 "Commuter Rail" lines. So does Philly - we just call them "Regional"

In getting to AMH from Center City you have the option of taking the R2, R3 or Broad St. Subway.

A monthly RR pass is $142 per month. But you only need a RR pass if you take one of the RR trains. If you take the subway it's $78 per month.

If you lived in Center City there would be little reason to pay for parking because you wouldn't need a car in the first place. Between Zipcar and PhillyCarShare you don't need to walk more than two blocks to find a car.

Quote:
Then the city wage tax is another thing that I learned more about. Since I am not working in the city, I could completely avoid it by living outside the limits, but that would mean not going into the city as often most likely.

The social life is definitely important to me, which seems like it would be best in Center City. However, as you all know, it is expensive to live in the city, especially with a car when parking ranges from $180 to $250 a month on top of rent and the city wage tax. It seems like more and more of my money from my first real job keeps disappearing before I have even started.
I don't know how much residents make but, from what i've heard, it's not big money . . . so it's not likely that you'd be paying all that much in wage tax. Especially considering that you'll likely be paying a 1% wage tax in the suburbs anyway you might want to sit down and do the math with the wage taxes, rents, the cost of your car, cost of gas and parking at AMH, etc. and the cost of getting to and from the city for excursions.

Quote:
In a word, no. Not near Abington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia