Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM

290 posts, read 388,473 times

Advertisements

I've seen it and should probably watch it again. I think the message is powerful and true and should probably try to apply it to life a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I have and it's worked beautifully. Among the things I've attracted into my life are countless free cups of coffee, people I really wanted to see or hear from, a braille display when I couldn't afford one myself, a hearing aid when I couldn't afford one myself, and my vision and hearing. I didn't think it could work 100% for a long time because for awhile I had attracted expensive disability aids free or cheap that mitigated my deaf-blindness but couldn't attract my sight and hearing themselves back. But after meditating on seeing and hearing again for A LONG TIME, and with the help of acupuncture and energy work to speed up the process, I did eventually get them back. I had been meditating every day for hours on end on being able to see and hear again for about a year and I just got them both back in early February.

The Law of Attraction works. These are the most common mistakes I've found through my own trial and error:

1) Don't attract what you want as a future condition. In other words, don't meditate on "I will be rich." Meditate on "I'm rich now" (if being rich is what you want).
2) Do it with love. Feeling love and joy while you do it speeds the process up much more. Thoughts alone do manifest but it takes much longer. Thoughts with joy manifest much faster.
3) Don't even let the slightest idea that "it won't work" tinge your beliefs. This will slow down the process or obstruct it altogether.
4) Keep it good-hearted. You can attract negative situations or attract things for selfish reasons, but if you do it out of pure love and selflessness, it's 100x more effective. In other words, don't attract "I want to see and hear." That's a selfish motive. But if you attract "I want to see and hear so that I can reach a much higher potential and serve the world the best I can," it works a lot better.
5) When you get a feeling take an action, do it. I spent months meditating on getting out of an abusive relationship, and wondered why it wasn't working. Well it was, but at one point I just had get up and leave. When I did, everything kept working out as planned. Physical actions are part of the process. Sometimes you will have to make major life changes as part of the process of attracting what you desire.
6) Appreciation is key. As often as you ask for something, thank the Universe (or God or whoever you want to thank) for it. Genuine gratitude makes attracting things much more effective. And I don't mean "say a quick thanks so you can get what you want faster." You really have to genuinely put a lot of feelings of appreciation into what you visualize. Thank the Universe for the things you have and will have, even before you get them.
7) Don't give up. If you are doing everything listed above, it will work. Lots of the time, people do it and they are attracting what they want successfully, but they give up and the situation or thing they want ends up drifting away again. For things to manifest, you have to keep visualizing with love and appreciation until it shows up. Trust it will and don't give up until it does.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I just watched "The Secret" and I have to say that the theatrics are a bit lame but the message is amazing. I am curious to know how many people here have seen or heard of it and apply it to their life?
It's the ultimate placebo... it really is...

Old 04-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The huckster who is selling that stuff is a charlatan and anyone who buys it is a sucker.
I guess being a sucker was just what it took to get my brain damage to heal to the point that I got both my hearing and sight back, way beyond what any of my doctors ever thought possible.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Trust me, it's the best decision you'll have ever made. Just give it a shot and then come back to me. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. You don't need to pay anyone or give anyone anything. All you have to do is try it for yourself.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-05-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You guys ever hear the saying, "Even a fake smile can brighten someones day?
The power of positive thought is real. Scientifically proven even. It is called the placebo effect. Even if that is all The Secret is, it has been scientifically proven to work. Yes it does leave out the part where you actually have to make this stuff happen and that simply thinking about a new car isn't going to magically make it appear in your driveway.
Exactly. This same concept has been used with chronic pain sufferers for decades. Your relationship with your pain literally changes your pain levels. There are physiological explanations involving the brain and neurotransmitters that explain why this process works.

It doesn't make your car magically appear in your driveway, but it lands you in circumstances and situations that lead to you being able to get a car in your driveway. The Law of Attraction still operates by other laws of physics too. When they say things manifest, they don't mean in the literal appearing out of thin air. What they mean is that for example, your positive attitude will get you the job, which will get you the money, which will end up in your bank account, which you can use to get your car.

When I attracted the braille display into my life, I had been searching for one for about 6 months. Well then, even after having done a Google search a million times, once this site popped up that sold them for much cheaper. And literally the next week, the exact amount of money I needed to buy it, including shipping and all, showed up in my bank account because a friend of mine just decided to give me some money.

When I meditated on having a job, it's not like one second I didn't have a job and the next second I did. But what happened was even after months and months of putting in hundreds of applications and getting several interviews that all went unsuccessfully, one day I just decided to dress up for the heck of it. Then I went to say hi to my friend at the optical. We were using tactile sign and I was using my braille display. Turns out the big shot manager was there watching me. He was so impressed I could communicate and use a computer despite being deaf-blind that he hired me on the spot. I did the interview as a formality and was working there a week later. A week earlier there wasn't an opening for the job. A week later someone else would have been hired. The timing was perfect. My feeling to dress up that day, the time I went to the mall, the fact I decided to say hi to my friend, were all lined up with the manager seeing me. The jobs I had been looking for would have required me to bus into the city. This job was across the street. I could walk there independently. My friend already knew sign language. Two of the other employees already knew how to finger spell and knew some basic sign language. My manger was gay so I didn't have to worry about being fired for being gay. It was right next to an eye doctor's office, and working with opticians/ophthalmologists is something I had been aspiring to do since age 10. Things just fell into place. It was the perfect job--better than anything I ever expected.

If you think "I can see and hear again" you won't be able to see and hear again right away, but positive thinking gets whatever brain connections are failing to get the message from eyes and ears to brain begin the process of healing, which restores those connections, which then allows the information coming in from your ears and eyes to reach your brain, which eventually leads to physical sight and hearing.

I have so many stories of it working and if you want I can tell you many more stories so you can get a better idea of how it works.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-05-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The Secret is really good for two groups of people:

People who want to have something more in their lives but don't want to have to work or take any action to get it and people who are already fabulously wealthy and want to feel justified by being told that anyone less fortunate than they are is responsible for their own situation.

The problem for the first group is that no matter how much time they spend thinking about that new Mercedes in their driveway it isn't going to magically appear, so those people need to be sold over and over again to convince them that it somehow really is working, even though they don't get what they want, or that they just need to think harder and spend more money on books and seminars to make it work.
Hm. I didn't spend a dime on learning about or using "the Secret." (I have to admit, I think it's a stupid marketing name too.) But my point is you don't have to empty your wallet or sell your soul to anyone or anything for it to work. And you don't have to have something to get something more. When I first found out about it, I was living on savings, sharing with three people. I was deaf and blind and didn't even have disability checks cause I was waiting for those to come through. I couldn't get a job. I was living in a basement. Sometimes I had to eat once a day because that's all the money we had. So I think it's pretty fair to say I didn't have much, and I wasn't trying to justify what I did have. I couldn't talk to anyone because even though I knew some sign language, no one I knew, not even my wife, knew sign language. I didn't have any friends. I was completely isolated and my marriage was not completely dead but close to it and becoming very abusive because of the strain we both felt from my going deaf, and the lack of communication. I had a laptop but I had no access to it.

I used the Law of Attraction to slowly attract things into my life--from nothing. First I attracted small things to see if it worked, like a McDouble (free, since I couldn't even afford more than one a day). Needless to say, complete and total strangers offered to buy me meals. Sure, you could just chalk this up to me being deaf-blind, but it was happening way more frequently than before. (In fact, no one was offering me anything before.) Then I started to attract people into my life who knew how to sign with a deaf-blind person. I was sitting at the mall and the only other deaf-blind person in my town just so happened to sit right next to me. He taught me more sign language. Three months later, I was standing at a bus-stop and someone came up to me and signed in my hand. The fact he knew how to sign into my hand was a miracle in and of itself, give the fact that 99% of people I met had no idea how to communicate with me.

Then a lot of the things I already posted about happened--getting technology that would allow me to use some hearing so I could cross streets safely, and use my computer to communicate with people, and make friends and get a job, and eventually just my plain sight and hearing back.

Now I have a part-time job and am studying to be an interpreter for the deaf-blind. All of this came out of the Law of Attraction. I didn't have money or resources. My family had cut me off when I went deaf and blind cause it was too much for them to handle. All of this manifested by itself!

It's not just for rich people who don't want to feel guilty about having stuff. And a lot of people are poor and in awful situations because they either don't know about the Law of Attraction or don't really believe it works. (I know this cause I was in that boat before.) It actually works.

Blame is useless. There's no point in saying it was your fault or my fault that this or that happened. The point is that the Law of Attraction is a powerful tool that anyone can use. Who cares what caused my deaf-blindness--the important thing is I can see and hear now. The same goes for any person's negative situation. The why doesn't matter because they don't need the why to get out of it. They just need the Law of Attraction.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I find it funny when people I know state that Reiki is fake. I recently did a little test without telling anyone. I Love beer and had some friends over for a beer tasting and then afterwards have a BBQ. The first batch of beer we tried I gave them all three cups. I simply asked which one was better. What I did not tell them is that each cup had the same beer in it. The only difference is that I did Reiki on one of everyones cups. They all said the Reiki'd beer was better.
I've done tests with Reiki and energy work too. For example, when I was deaf and blind I knew without fail when someone was in my vicinity. I knew when my roommate (the guy I met at the bus stop) was sending me energy or not. We did experiments, both blind-folded (in my case to eliminate the possible explanation of blindsight), and proved time and time again that we could perceive the other person sending energy. We also sent each other energy without telling the other to see if they would pick up and notice. To be honest, sometimes we didn't notice, but it was because our mind was totally focused on something else. But the vast majority of the time we would notice.

If you don't believe in something, just test it. So many skeptics don't believe in things but don't bother to test them either. If you're going to doubt the existence of something, at least test it yourself and make sure it doesn't work first.

I was a huge skeptic before and tested all of the phenomena I now describe as real, like Reiki and the Law of Attraction, with a healthy amount of skepticism. It's because they worked--over and over and over again, even with double-blind experiments (to eliminate the Placebo effect) that I believe in them now.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
I read the book a long time ago. I'm afraid that "THE SECRET" goes right along with many of the "motivational speakers", and "Self-Improvement Seminars". It's all a type of hypnosis. It's all a matter of changing your own thinking in order to improve yourself, and your position.

There are people that actually do live "THE SECRET". Read up on "THE GREAT IMPOSTER".

Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Wait...Are you guys telling me I can throw away all those meds I take for my heart condition and high blood pressure in favor of rikii and positive thinking? This is good news since these drugs cost over $250 per month...Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is why this crap that you guys spew is dangerous, because some morons will do exactly what I suggested above and it will kill some of them....I will be sticking to my meds.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wait...Are you guys telling me I can throw away all those meds I take for my heart condition and high blood pressure in favor of rikii and positive thinking? This is good news since these drugs cost over $250 per month...Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is why this crap that you guys spew is dangerous, because some morons will do exactly what I suggested above and it will kill some of them....I will be sticking to my meds.
Where did anyone say that? It would be unwise for you to just stop your heart meds. But if you meditated on a healthy heart and you went to your heart doctor and your doctor told you you didn't need your meds anymore, you could stop them. That's exactly what happened to me. I was on 7 different types of meds and I don't take any meds anymore--not because I made a rash decision to stop taking them while risking my health--but because my arthritis and fibromyalgia healed themselves and my doctors told me I didn't need them anymore.

Now if you exercise the LOA and find out from your doctor that you no longer have your heart condition and no longer need the meds you are currently taking, then not only can you stop them, it would be unwise not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy