Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I submit a motion to move this thread to the political forum.
I disagree. The nature of the question is how people with overweening pride in their own moral standing affect the people around them. To me, this is very much a relationship question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Interesting that some people think a topic like this does not belong in the relationship forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
I don't approve of racism, but I hate PC people. I think part of our nature is to be bigoted, to some extent. Also, people who claim that there are no norms annoy me. if this is the case, then why do we have structures? Don't structures necessitate norms?
You hate PC people? You shouldn't hate people for a differing opinion.

I don't think that its in our nature to be bigoted, but that bigotry is born out of ignorance & fear. I don't approve of racism nor bigotry.

Un PC on the other hand...well I am Australian, and I know we have a reputation as being racist... however, I don't believe we are racists ~ un PC.. yes at times.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Interesting that some people think a topic like this does not belong in the relationship forum...

I don't think that its in our nature to be bigoted, but that bigotry is born out of ignorance & fear. I don't approve of racism nor bigotry.

Un PC on the other hand...well I am Australian, and I know we have a reputation as being racist... however, I don't believe we are racists ~ un PC.. yes at times.
Thank you for that. But I don't think anybody here in the forum does. I think the problem comes when one person enjoys righteous indignation a little too much, and devotes their conversations to correcting the opinions of others when those opinions do not conform precisely to their own. These people assume bigotry in others for even the most innocent remarks, are typically killjoys and suck the life out of every moment. Everyone else feels the need to walk on figurative eggshells in that person's presence, wondering how every single word will be parsed and analyzed for the purpose of satisfying that person's rigid moral code.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 PM

51 posts, read 62,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

PC for much of the time is airy fairy and excessive. It also undermines proper freedom of expression.

That said, in principle I agree with it.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Thank you for that. But I don't think anybody here in the forum does. I think the problem comes when one person enjoys righteous indignation a little too much, and devotes their conversations to correcting the opinions of others when those opinions do not conform precisely to their own. These people assume bigotry in others for even the most innocent remarks, are typically killjoys and suck the life out of every moment. Everyone else feels the need to walk on figurative eggshells in that person's presence, wondering how every single word will be parsed and analyzed for the purpose of satisfying that person's rigid moral code.
Oh I think that some might..... but aside from that I agree ^...

Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I disagree. The nature of the question is how people with overweening pride in their own moral standing affect the people around them. To me, this is very much a relationship question.
Well, a new forum "Mental Health" was created, too, and all interesting threads from here get moved there.

I just wonder when all sex threads will get moved to the Fitness forum! Come to think of it, it might be very appropriate considering the way most look at it!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, a new forum "Mental Health" was created, too, and all interesting threads from here get moved there.

I just wonder when all sex threads will get moved to the Fitness forum! Come to think of it, it might be very appropriate considering the way most look at it!
Hah. Mental health? No telling what kind of freakazoids will show up there. Might be fun to head over to that forum a while just to whip them up into a froth don't you think?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammadon View Post
I lived for much in my life in a Western society, and we think that whilst bigotry is wrong, we have a right to be so. I don't hate anybody, but I have biases as do all persons.

I simply think differently. I simply believe that if we in the West value a free society, then this extends to what we can believe or adhere to. I don't think we should ban opinions (for one, what defines a good opinion/belief)?
I've never understood this argument. Basically, the line of thinking here seems to be that you have a 'right' to be bigoted or hold bigoted beliefs. And that being "PC" is an attempt to censor such beliefs.

You absolutely have a right to free speech. You can hold and express any opinion you wish. And everyone you express it to has a right to respond. If they wish, they can tell you your belief is 'wrong', because that's THEIR belief.

And round and round we go...

Free speech just means the GOVERNMENT can't censor you. But your community, be it online or in RL, will judge you by your words, and that has nothing to do with censorship. They can ask that you use different words, and that still isn't censorship. If you use racist or insensitive terms, it will alter the way I view you, because it's showing me something about you as a person.

Everyone does have their prejudices. I do my best to recognize mine, figure out where they came from, and then get over them. I don't just accept that I'm judging people unfairly and go on with my life.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I've never understood this argument. Basically, the line of thinking here seems to be that you have a 'right' to be bigoted or hold bigoted beliefs. And that being "PC" is an attempt to censor such beliefs.

Just who decides what bigoted beliefs are?

You absolutely have a right to free speech. You can hold and express any opinion you wish. And everyone you express it to has a right to respond. If they wish, they can tell you your belief is 'wrong', because that's THEIR belief.

And I can say they are wrong, because it's my belief.

Free speech just means the GOVERNMENT can't censor you. But your community, be it online or in RL, will judge you by your words, and that has nothing to do with censorship. They can ask that you use different words, and that still isn't censorship. If you use racist or insensitive terms, it will alter the way I view you, because it's showing me something about you as a person.
Actually, that is precisely what censorship is!

When someone tells you that you can not say something, for whatever reason, that is censorship. And that is what PC is, someone telling you not to say something.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Actually, that is precisely what censorship is!

When someone tells you that you can not say something, for whatever reason, that is censorship. And that is what PC is, someone telling you not to say something.

Um, no. I can tell you all day long I want you to use different words. That's not censorship. You don't have to obey- I have no power to, for example, put you in jail if you continue using language I find objectionable. Someone objecting to your speech and asking that you change isn't censorship, as they have no power to punish you for disobeying.

Free speech is written into the 1st amendment, right? Well, the 1st amendment states that the GOVERNMENT cannot make LAWS controlling speech, thus guaranteeing you 'free speech'. It means you can't be punished for speaking your opinions. That's so very important, and such a wonderful thing to have.

The 1st amendment though, has nothing to do with individuals. Again, you do get to tell me I'm wrong, and I get to tell you you're wrong. I can even tell you I find your speech objectionable and you should change it. But I have no authority to actually enforce this.

Let's say I owned these forums. I could put any standards I want into place- including banning the use of certain words. If you did use them, I could suspend your account. Even that's not censorship. As an individual, I can set standards over the areas I control. If I decided you can't use the word 'blue' in my house, well- guess what, you better not be using the word 'blue' or I'm kicking you out.

The problem here is that you seem to be under the assumption that you get to say whatever you want, and no one else can respond or else they're interfering with your 'free speech' and 'censoring' you. It just simply doesn't work that way. Yes, you get to tell me I'm wrong for saying you're wrong- that was my entire point. We can go round like that forever, and neither of us will ever be censoring the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy