Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Our instinct is to fear what we don't understand.

It is at the root of all racism, sexism, bigotism, and any other "ism" you care to mention
It's a nice sentiment, but it's really not the point of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
there is bigoted, and racists...I am neither, and I'm sick and tired of people who are obsessed with PC...it's like everything else, they use it and take it way to the other end of the spectrum...
and if you disagree with someone who is a different race/color, your automatically called a racist.

I mean, what is happening to the mentality of human beings? We have not progressed, we've regressed....
Quote:
what its about is, that your diagreeing with that person and they have nothing else to say, they can't admit that, hey, perhaps you have a point, so, your a racist. People are way to insulted by what others think, and they don't have the mental ability to shrug it off and allow others they're beliefs...or culture...we all own our personal cultures...and when people can understand that, perhaps things will change...but you cannot force your opinion down someone else's throats...in the same, to become insulted by someone else's words is simply ludicrist?
Dead-on accurate. All true.

PC is censorship.

Because I disagree with someone doesn't make me a racist and it doesn't mean I hate them. Some people here are quick to throw those two words out when someone has the temerity to suggest that they are wrong.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Hello Creme...I Gotta Gently Disagree On One Point

Quote:
there is bigoted, and racists...I am neither, and I'm sick and tired of people who are obsessed with PC...it's like everything else, they use it and take it way to the other end of the spectrum...
and if you disagree with someone who is a different race/color, your automatically called a racist.

I mean, what is happening to the mentality of human beings? We have not progressed, we've regressed....
I can only speak for me, but as a black man (using my race to underscore my point) I think it's kinda silly of me to yell 'yer a racist! Booooo!' at anyone non-black who disagrees with me...as my grandpa used to say 'don't burn good daylight doin' things that're a waste of time and breath'

You are right , though, about progression/regression...it seems that every teeny-tiny issue nowadays gets twisted like cheap licorice into 'us vs them'---that cuts across racial, political, religious, even sexual lines...and frankly, I think that stinks...I know everybody here doesn't always agree with me when I post, but I can't sit here and call names just because they're not marching in lockstep with my opinion...

Now, I will say this...when I am confronted with folk who sit nailed in a dark root cellar somewhere, and prefer to lob generalities and stereotypes rather than engage in actual conversation, I WILL speak up, and I WILL call BS on stuff, especially if the person behind the stereotypes has no other position but that (y'know---'those damn liberals are ruining our country!' 'those blasted conservatives want to tell everybody else how to live!' 'Gay people lurk in the bushes and jump out and molest you!' 'black people have tails and swing from trees' 'white people are all racists!'...need I go on?)

Whatever happened to everybody just shutting the hell up and actually TALKING to each other, and LISTENING to each other, rather than drone on incessantly about statistics, and 'well you know how THOSE people are...'

We are, sadly, becoming a nation living in fear and worry, egged on by talking heads, overheated pundits, and grounded in plain old wrong-headed misinformation about each other, and it's a dang shame

Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Dead-on accurate. All true.

PC is censorship.

Because I disagree with someone doesn't make me a racist and it doesn't mean I hate them. Some people here are quick to throw those two words out when someone has the temerity to suggest that they are wrong.
yes, it never ceases to amaze me, at how uptight people get if someone disagrees with them...they take it so personal, they come back with personal insults and attacks, which shows, how many people in our society do not have the ability to allow others they're culture and they're thoughts, and how really primitive those thoughts are...I mean think about it, that is the very reason why over history wars were started and millions of people have been killed, over a difference of opinion, and yet, today, with our technology and advancements, we don't teach our kids that...human beings really have not progressed, but regressed...yanno, it's all about awareness, the ability to allow others to move onto they're success, and the ability to understand, the effects our thoughts, and deeds have on so many other lives...for it is from every decission we make, every choice we make, effects the lives of so many others...and yet, we as human beings have lost that mentality, to be able to understand, that just b/c I think one way and you think another, doesn't make me right or you wrong...so many are unable to grasp that...and it's very sad...when you think about it...

Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I can only speak for me, but as a black man (using my race to underscore my point) I think it's kinda silly of me to yell 'yer a racist! Booooo!' at anyone non-black who disagrees with me...as my grandpa used to say 'don't burn good daylight doin' things that're a waste of time and breath'

You are right , though, about progression/regression...it seems that every teeny-tiny issue nowadays gets twisted like cheap licorice into 'us vs them'---that cuts across racial, political, religious, even sexual lines...and frankly, I think that stinks...I know everybody here doesn't always agree with me when I post, but I can't sit here and call names just because they're not marching in lockstep with my opinion...

Now, I will say this...when I am confronted with folk who sit nailed in a dark root cellar somewhere, and prefer to lob generalities and stereotypes rather than engage in actual conversation, I WILL speak up, and I WILL call BS on stuff, especially if the person behind the stereotypes has no other position but that (y'know---'those damn liberals are ruining our country!' 'those blasted conservatives want to tell everybody else how to live!' 'Gay people lurk in the bushes and jump out and molest you!' 'black people have tails and swing from trees' 'white people are all racists!'...need I go on?)

Whatever happened to everybody just shutting the hell up and actually TALKING to each other, and LISTENING to each other, rather than drone on incessantly about statistics, and 'well you know how THOSE people are...'

We are, sadly, becoming a nation living in fear and worry, egged on by talking heads, overheated pundits, and grounded in plain old wrong-headed misinformation about each other, and it's a dang shame

yanno, my best girlfriend, "God rest her soul" used to tell me, "there is nothing more dangerous, then and extreme leftist or right...and she was correct. I see it in my brother in law, he is unable to admit that his party does wrong things, and he's always down on liberals...not all liberals feel the same way, not all liberals are extremists...and not all conservatives feel the same way...but it's pretty darn sad, when a person is not able to see, that each party is just as corrupt as the other, especially and I laugh when I say this, after all the years, of the repubs getting in, then the democrates get in and nothing has changed, actually it's getting worse, and no one is able to say, "hey, there's something wrong here"...each party blames the other, so, next election, we put in the republicans, and nothing will change...

and as far as the racists statements, in this day and age, there are far fewer racists in the world then ever before...and of that I am proud of.
and it's ok to stand up for what you believe in, b/c that is who you are, your identity, however, it's not ok, to call another names, or racisists b/c they don't agree with your way of thinking...sounds like y ou had great parents, extremely wise. It is people like yourself who will slowly begin to change things, your great great grandchildren, when adults, might see a whole new and enjoyable world...and that's something to be proud of sir....

I hope someday people start to get it...and stop setting others up to fail...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
Okay How is PC censorship?
Some are bold enough to use terms that are of times of yore..yet all they usually get is a scorn of disdain? or a rebuttal from co-workers or some strangers that "correct them"

SO AGAIN I ASK HOW IS THIS CENSORSHIP?

Give me a break..
We are not CHILDREN..we all HAVE been on this green earth for some time and not locked up in some closet so WE all know the jist as to what language we use...

the terms...

retards
******s
*******s
dirty jews
wops
guidos
*****s
lesbos
are NOT okay...
we use these terms to "hurt" not to actually describe a person, thing or place...these are terms USED to ridicule, made to feel less than'

LMAO...it is not rocket science..

Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
We can all sit here and negate the PC group and state and actually boo-hoo censorship...lol..

And use skewed facts and definitions as to what n*&^^% really means and how it could actually be used to describe a ignorant person? Okay..lol..umm that is not what the term is used for and WE all know this..

Some have tried to justify stating that the term NEGRO is okay to use? Deragatory! Their argument comes from a small part of science..THAT states..yes this term is rarely used by scientist these days and is actually shunned by the scientific and medical community...

WE ARE NOT FOOLS ( AT least some of us aren't) and know where a term was derived from and how it has been used in the past..

So really?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Most of the examples in this thread are not what I, and many others think of when people say that PC has gotten out of hand. Single mother. It puts an Iraqi war widow in the same category as a unwed mother that has had 3 children, by 3 different men. Homophobe. Usually used as an insult to people with deep religious convictions. Issue. Is this for everyone to have self esteem, instead of problems? If you live in Trump tower, do you live in an urban enviroment? I live with people of Italian, Greek, Romanian, Slovak, and Polish heritage. Some are tall.Some are short. Some are fat. Some are thin. Some old, some young. Is this a diverse neighborhood?

Jungles became rain forests. Swamps turned into wetlands. Dumps into landfills. None of these words were insulting and they still had to change them.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Okay How is PC censorship?
Some are bold enough to use terms that are of times of yore..yet all they usually get is a scorn of disdain? or a rebuttal from co-workers or some strangers that "correct them"

SO AGAIN I ASK HOW IS THIS CENSORSHIP?

Give me a break..
We are not CHILDREN..we all HAVE been on this green earth for some time and not locked up in some closet so WE all know the jist as to what language we use...

the terms...

retards
******s
*******s
dirty jews
wops
guidos
*****s
lesbos
are NOT okay...
we use these terms to "hurt" not to actually describe a person, thing or place...these are terms USED to ridicule, made to feel less than'

LMAO...it is not rocket science..
Yes, but that's not what we're talking about. I think we can all agree that those terms are offensive and should not be used in civilized company.

Nope. I think the issue here is the person who instead seizes upon the most innocent remark or well-intentioned opinion and seeks to find reasons to impose their own moral superiority on the other party.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but that's not what we're talking about. I think we can all agree that those terms are offensive and should not be used in civilized company.

Nope. I think the issue here is the person who instead seizes upon the most innocent remark or well-intentioned opinion and seeks to find reasons to impose their own moral superiority on the other party.
^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes.^^^^^

To me, the most insulting term is stupid.

People call me a Cracker and redneck, to hurt my feelings. I am descended from Crackers, and proud of it. I am a redneck, got it
the old-fashioned way. People can't hurt me with words, cause'
I am not a child anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy