Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
[shrug]

You're the one who expressed an interest in getting out in nature if you only had a week to live. But you have a lot more than a week, yet you are uninterested in nature?

Whatever.

You clearly just started this thread as a "Woe is me" exercise. I bet a heft chunk of humanity would be thrilled to be where you are. And where you are is where you decided to be. You past 40 two decades ago, and have literally made millions of decisions in that time which preserved your life.

And now you come on here, having made all those decision not to die in traffic, not to starve, not to fall down stairs, all tell us you wished we'd all die at 40.

Like I said, whatever.
Where did I state I don't like to get out in nature? Answer: Nowhere. I just said the good things seem like small diversions from monotony at the moment . . . if you don't understand that, not sure what to say . . .maybe "whatever?"

I didn't know I was just going to be complaining . . .when I started the thread, I simply thinking that it seems like like goes on too long . . . like the song "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone . . ." I do believe that is true on some level AND I know it is not productive to think that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM

JACK AND DIANE john mellencamp [Lyrics!!] - YouTube

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I totally disagree with the words "long after the thrill of living is gone"....I can only see that thrill being gone for someone who's presumptuous enough to think that they've done it and know it all...Life is a gift....and with the right attitude and desire to experience and learn, and grow....the thrill will never be gone.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
From the tone of most of the threads you start throughout the forum I suggest you try something new ...something that 90% of the time is not appropriate to be suggested but I think is indicated in your case........therapy or at the least a visit to the doctor to discuss your frame of mind.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It seems to me as if life for most people just goes on too long . . .past the fun and useful parts, into the dull and routine, then painful and awful parts . . .

I think it should be condensed down to 40 or so years.
Life is what you make it.

... Of course, my old age will be better than your old age if technological advances keep pace. By the time I get to 100, it should be possible to do a brain transplant into a new cloned body, or download my mind into a quantum computer that contains a virtual world indistinguishable from the real one. Video games are gonna rock in 70 years...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 AM

284 posts, read 499,800 times
I actually feel much the same way as the OP, but not quite. I don't want to live forever, and I used to feel like life was nothing but monotony and repetiion and way too long. I didn't want to live past 55 (That was 5 years ago, I'm 45 now). Of course, I've change my viewpoint a little. Now i don't care how long I live as long as I have fun doing it. I don't want to live past the point of usefullness, but other than that, as long as I'm able to care for myself and do the things I want to do, I'm gonna keep on keeping on.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
I just find life too monotonous . . .I am sick of doing the same things over and over again . . . washing dishes, sweeping the floor, eating, doing laundry, paying bills, cleaning up this and that, taking care of problems, rinse and repeat, ad infinitum . . .

I do fun things (you would not know it), but I think the day-to-day stuff just gets to you after awhile. I am in my early sixties and I am just burnt out with the sameness of all of the tasks that have to be done - and once you do them, they don't stay done . . .

So I think 40 years would make life very precious, intense, and fun.
If you feel life is this monotonous, who's fault is that? Your own.
You are monotonous and make your own life.

Moderator cut: delete
I'm almost 60 and I have a great life filled with wonder, friendship and travel.
I could hardly ask for much more.

If you choose not to take control of your life, that's on you and you alone.

Quote:
I don't see the joy in those things at the moment . . . they just seem like small diversions from the odious tasks and monotony.
As a few others said, you sound depressed.
See a doctor, or at least get out of yourself and help others at a food bank or an abused women's shelter or volunteer at a rape crisis center.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: not a good idea to say that ..about suicide

Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'm 65 and I'm still enjoying life. Playing music is just as much fun as it ever was. So is riding my motorcycle. Sure, I can't do everything I once could (or it takes longer), but I can do enough. I also enjoy my ham radio, which allows me to talk all over the world from a chair. I don't want to live forever, but I'm not ready to go anytime soon.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Maybe nine out of ten people feel the length of life is "just right," or perhaps they would like to live even longer.

I just feel that for me, a long life is not necessary.

When my father was very ill, I got to spend a lot of time in a rest home visiting him, and I didn't see anyone having what I would call "fun." Maybe some were, but I did not see it.

I am glad so many of you are having truly awesome and fun-filled lives . . .There are a lot of good things in my life yet the Earth is not what it is cracked up to be, FOR ME . . .

And thanks to the really awesome person who suggested suicide as an option. What a wonderful person you are!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM

As for the song, "jack and Diane," and the line, "Oh yeah, life goes on, longer after the thrill of living is gone," FOR ME, the THRILL OF LIVING, was in my teen years when everything was new and fun and life was full of possibilities . . . responsibility, big problems and the monotony of chores have taken the fun out of life, FOR ME . . . I know I will have good days and bad days . . .not complaining about that, just complaining about the repetition of all of the things that must be done on a daily basis. Maybe I have just reached a point of critical mass where I have washed one too many dish, or cleaned one too many toilet, or taken care of one too many problem . . . it just gets old after awhile.

If you love chores and repetition, more power to you - I do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy