Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
You make an excellent point about decision making and poor judgment but, what does that have to do with luck?
you obviously only read half my post , half were examples of judgement calls gone wrong

the others were examples of unforeseen and unknowable consequences

one was bad luck , the other cause and effect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM

496 posts, read 483,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you obviously only read half my post , half were examples of judgement calls gone wrong

the others were examples of unforeseen and unknowable consequences

one was bad luck , the other cause and effect
Good point but will add all outcomes are a result of cause and effect.

There are two identities worth considering alongside the many identities which allow the two following extremes to be possible:

a) The continuously & enormously fortunate for having been in the right place at the right time in the unique circumstance.

b) The continuously unfortunate for having been in the wrong place at the wrong time in the unique circumstance.

The quantity of changing moment to moment variables which can and do effect both outcomes in above, demand a representation in translation through, individual outcome.

So good luck, bad luck experience is very true and will come about due to the quantity of participating and contributing properties, weather, traffic etc.

The peculiarity in these realities is simply an expression of the many many influence's which in fact contribute.

The concept-idea is somewhat deterministic through effort yet, also subject to the large contribution which one has no control and therefore an illusion of chance is created. An illusion because we know in all outcome there is a reason somewhere for it, always many as I'm trying to explain.

The idea of good luck is not an idea, its a reality which express's the nature of the system. Can you manipulate? Yes but thats where comprehension- translation of good and whatever outcome in the past gets somewhat entwined with whats neccesary in expectation. Expectation is important and the past has an effect in many ways.....and it becomes another topic. Is this in itself contradictory...yes and no.

Last edited by peter-1; 04-04-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
If you can go to the unseen spiritual world behind the veil of darkness, then the lady luck that some people will claim they believe, is actually a demon call familiar spirit with will attach itself on a person and people will believe this spirit is them selves, and what this demons tells them they will believe , were this spirit is great in hiding itself ..... Were the occult world and esp believers and witches and wizard, lady luck believers are filled with these familiars spirits......... With Lord Jesus Christ there is no luck, but Jesus is a sure thing as His promises are fact and all one needs is faith in God

Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
It depends on how one thinks of and defines "luck".

Do I believe unexpected things can happen that a person considers fortunate (or unfortunate)? Yes.

Do I believe that "luck" is a real something that some people have and others do not that increases a person's chances for certain types of events to happen to them? No.

When events are truly random, they will stack up a little more frequently on some outcomes than others. An example of this is balls in the lottery. Every ball has an equal probability of travelling up the tube and being chosen each draw, but if you look at a frequency table, you'll see that some numbers have shown up a little more often than others. That is the expected pattern of truly random events.

So, even if life events were truly random, some people would get a little more of them than other people. But, the majority of life events are not random. Some people keep having a lot of bad things happen to them because of the coices they made or the circumstances they are in (i.e., they hook up with people that aren't good for them, or they go into professions where the work is not that stable, or they don't take good care of their health,etc).

Finally, "luck" seems to be a matter of perspective. There are some people who love to play the victim and so are keyed to interpret their life events as bad luck. Two people can have roughly the same number and type of events happen to them and one interpret it as luck and the other one doesn't. Some people see even fortunate things as unfortunate; others see the good fortune in "negative" life events.
Nice answer.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM

278 posts, read 357,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Go back and read post #3.

You started the weather thing. I was talking about life in general.
So you think someone is planning your live?

Lets say that I am struggling in a class and the day before the class a classmate sees my distress and helps me out. Do you think there is anything supernatural behind this?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Nice answer.
It would only be a nice answer for those looking to feel sorry for themselves, or self congratulate for depleted confidence issues.

Reason being is that it only address's circumstance which all are privy to, and not the topic which would be the idea of absolute factual good luck.

Excuses-translations, have nothing to do with tremendous and repeated good fortune or luck as they say & is a reality. While its a comfort to sort out excuses for negative-positive outcome involving translation, the effort only represents individual security and not the reality of extreme in perimeter, of all possible outcome.

Last edited by peter-1; 04-04-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-1 View Post
It would only be a nice answer for those looking to feel sorry for themselves, or self congratulate for depleted confidence issues.

Reason being is that it only address's circumstance which all are privy to, and not the topic which would be the idea of absolute factual good luck.

Excuses-translations, have nothing to do with tremendous and repeated good fortune or luck as they say & is a reality. While its a comfort to sort out excuses for negative-positive outcome involving translation, the effort only represents individual security and not the reality of extreme in perimeter, of all possible outcome.
Oh, I did address it. I quote:
Quote:
Do I believe that "luck" is a real something that some people have and others do not that increases a person's chances for certain types of events to happen to them? No.
There is zero evidence that anything like the luck you describe exists. There is a ton of evidence in the scientific literature that shows how superstitions involving the concept of luck develop and work.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
thats just something smug people say a way of making jibes at less fortunate people

to reiterate , if you made your own luck , it wouldnt be luck , merley good descision making , luck is unearned regardless of whether its good or bad
Life is like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. So If you look at someone who has a lot of good fortune, chances are, it didn't just fall into their lap. They worked for it. I.e. we make our own luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Oh, I did address it. I quote:

There is zero evidence that anything like the luck you describe exists. There is a ton of evidence in the scientific literature that shows how superstitions involving the concept of luck develop and work.

Your comment here is very true..."Do I believe that "luck" is a real something that some people have and others do not that increases a person's chances for certain types of events to happen to them? No."

Other then that there is zero value to your entries relative to the topic. I don't think you can follow properly due to a lack in understanding (statistics

Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-1 View Post

sounds like your earlier post was a set up based on the above reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy