Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

In 1989 I had my heart torn to shreads by somebody, and although I rarely think about it, lately I've been wondering if that scar ever truly healed and I've ever actually moved on. I remember shortly after having my heart broken, my behavior changed and my outlook on life was different, which is normal especially given I was only 18 at the time, but lately I've been wondering if I'm still carrying the pain from that immense hurt and simply gotten used to it without perhaps remembering what life was like beforehand. In other words, I've been psychologically damaged and I'm not even aware of the damage because I've lived for so long with it. Has anybody else had similar thoughts on this sort of matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Oops...I meant to post this is psychology, not philosophy.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In 1989 I had my heart torn to shreads by somebody, and although I rarely think about it, lately I've been wondering if that scar ever truly healed and I've ever actually moved on. I remember shortly after having my heart broken, my behavior changed and my outlook on life was different, which is normal especially given I was only 18 at the time, but lately I've been wondering if I'm still carrying the pain from that immense hurt and simply gotten used to it without perhaps remembering what life was like beforehand. In other words, I've been psychologically damaged and I'm not even aware of the damage because I've lived for so long with it. Has anybody else had similar thoughts on this sort of matter?
Sounds exactly like me. I went through the same thing at the same age (1979). Very painful. I wonder if I have built a psychological protection mechanism to prevent me from ever going through that again. Also, I dread having my kids go through that. Very painful.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Usually in my observation and experience, one's early experiences with intimate relationships very quickly destroys one's innocent idealism and the loss of innocence is always especially poignant. Some adjust better than others.

Society (Western society at any rate) inculcates within us a wildly unrealistic romantic ideal that dates ultimately to the Middle Ages, to the Parsifal legend at the very least. The potent symbolism, among others, gets lodged in our brains and reinforced by every Hollywood romance depiction we see or love ballad we hear, by much of our advertising, etc., and mixes with the hormonal surge, inexperience, naïveté, and hubris of youth to pretty much guarantee that our tenderest and noblest aspirations in this area will be unfulfilled. To the mind of an 18 year old, much lesser things are readily perceived as tragedy, but the lovelorn 18 year old suffers terribly indeed.

Sometimes I think much if not all of our adult life is taken up with fully letting go of this particular illusion, so compelling it is. We seem unable to help ourselves. The only thing that is its equal is religious belief.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Yes especially if the person was a sociopath and it sounds like in your instance that might be the case. That happened to me. I have dated before and it has not worked out and I get upset but move on. This one guy lied and said he was gay when he was straight. While I dont want anything to do with him anymore and have moved on dating a guy who is better looking and has a better personality I have to admit I am still working through my issues not because it did not work out with the other guy but because he lied in a way that caused a lot of trauma in my life.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Yes especially if the person was a sociopath and it sounds like in your instance that might be the case. That happened to me. I have dated before and it has not worked out and I get upset but move on. This one guy lied and said he was gay when he was straight. While I dont want anything to do with him anymore and have moved on dating a guy who is better looking and has a better personality I have to admit I am still working through my issues not because it did not work out with the other guy but because he lied in a way that caused a lot of trauma in my life.
It doesn't work like it does in the movie "Kick-Ass," does it? Where the guy pretended to be gay, and they started dating afterwards?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
When one has experiences, they tend to stay with you until they are replaced by new experiences.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It doesn't work like it does in the movie "Kick-Ass," does it? Where the guy pretended to be gay, and they started dating afterwards?
I have not heard of that movie but from your description no it does not. In fact not only did he lie about his sexual orientation he went out of his way to make it look like he was gay, even knowing the gay issues more then I did. On top of that he made it look like he was having coming out issues much like I did and he knew how hard it was for me. So I was a mess for a year and even to this day impacts me. That is why I can honestly say I regret ever being his friend and he is the only person I feel that way towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy