Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

That a young person has plenty of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:41 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
There's many but on top of my head

That violence is sometimes justified.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Biggest lie:

Promise, I won't shoot it in your mouth.
Call me stupid,but I don't follow.

Whats the situation?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 PM

321 posts, read 532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Whats the situation?
Dentist's office? LOL

Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Most harmful myth/lie ever perpetuated: That a dry cold is more pleasant than a wet cold... sorry, folks, this is a urban legend, and it needs to stop before someone dies... or worse, someone rants about it on a web forum... oops, too late.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I'm talking more about the myth that the poor are always to blame for being poor and that they should simply bootstrap up, find better jobs, etc. it's a myth propagated by those on the right side of the political spectrum who say such things because (either or):

- It makes them feel better about themselves and their achievements to put down others
- They fear becoming poor themselves
- They wish to end or severely cut welfare to save what they perceive as their money being used by the government to give to the undeserving.
- They believe that hard work always equals success
- They believe that we have more control over our own lives than we actually do

(Sorry but had to elaborate).
Amy - great post. I agree with you that this is a myth commonly believed and passed on by those on the right geo-political spectrum. But I've seen too many instances of people who were born severely disadvantaged or even become disadvantaged later in life by unforeseen circumstances. I think you nailed it about the fear of LACK too - which is not that surprising because who really wants to suffer from not having enough to survive or even not having enough to have a seat in a "respectable" socio-economic place. There is humiliation of sorts in being trapped in poverty. There is even a certain humiliation (as I see it) in being subjected to the futility of mortality. But only humans are conscious of this - other animals, while they have some sense of fear of death do not carry any sense of shame. That is reserved for humans. It may sound like I'm going in a circle, but I wanted to add that I think there is also shame involved in not wanting others to know we are AFRAID of pain and death.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
That you are worthless.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 AM

321 posts, read 532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think you nailed it about the fear of LACK too - which is not that surprising because who really wants to suffer from not having enough to survive or even not having enough to have a seat in a "respectable" socio-economic place. There is humiliation of sorts in being trapped in poverty.
I also doubt that most people are systemic or abstract thinkers. It's not obvious to them how their better paychecks rest on the backs of low paid workers at factories or at Walmart. So they think they "earned" their money, even when there's some janitor cleaning toilets in the same building as them, because they take all the low wage infrastructure for granted. They could only be said to be earning money if everyone was performing the same kind of white collar work as themselves, and that's just not the case. What they actually do is extract surplus labor value from people farther down the corporate hierarchy. By the time the extraction gets to the level of a CEO, it's rather sick.

People are definitely conscious of hierarchical status, but they're not conscious of how they exploit others to get that status.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
That humans are the center of the universe.

Maybe if people realized how small humanity is relative to the entire universe, they'd stop being so self-centered.

Last edited by sade693; 12-11-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Just thought of a new myth:

The police are your friend. They are on your side, and are there to help you and will never lie to you or deceive you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy