Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 PM

254 posts, read 419,359 times

Advertisements

Any philosophical insight into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
President Barack Obama was raised by a single parent and he seems to have done well for himself. Having one, two, or no parents doesn't guarantee anything.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
This is a question for a sociologist or psychologist, not a philosopher.

Empirically, though, I've met lots of people raised by a single parent who are well adjusted and seem quite happy and fulfilled -- so yes, they CAN succeed. The correct question would be, are they more or less likely to succeed than children raised by two parents? And the follow on questions can then begin: is this association or actual cause? Does it matter if it's an intact set of parents with no divorce in the picture, or is it okay if one of them is a step parent? What about being raised by grandparents or other relatives?

Of course you could start out by asking if these are even the right questions. It seems like how much a child experiences love and encouragement and stability and safety have way more to do with "success" than how many or exactly what kind of parent-figures are raising them. And of course you need to define "success".

Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Absolutely...they can be as successful in their lives as someone else raised by two parents..sometimes more so.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Better question, why do you think they wouldn't succeed?

We've had Presidents (starting with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, who lost their father's young) up to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.....tons of celebrities (and say what you will...that is a very competitive industry if nothing else)....many athletes including Michael Phelps (all time Olympic medal winner) ....and these are just off the top of my head and I don't even make a point of knowing everyone's parental status.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:01 AM

90 posts, read 94,226 times
Kind of a naive question

Is 1 quality parent worse than 2 abusive parents?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post

People say that a mother and a father offer different perspectives on life. (A mother is being one way and a father is being another way). And a child becomes more well rounded if he observes both perspectives. But I am not convinced that this is that important in order to be successful in life.

I think the best child would be raised when there is a stronger bond between a parent and a child, and when there is enough time spent with a child to teach the child how to be a good person.

I think this could happen in either single parent household or multi parent household.

In fact, the bond is probably stronger in a single parent household (because they just have each other), and the lessons may be more readily accepted by a child.

But a single parent may have a problem finding time to spend with a child because of having to work too much to be able to support them.

But at the same time, families with both parents who are too poor or families with both parents who are too rich also run into this problem.

Therefore, it makes not much difference, people could be successful or not in any of these situations, depending on how good their parents are, how much time they invest into bonding and teaching their child.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Define "succeed".

Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Yes.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
I was raised by a single mother (my dad left when I was a year old). . . . .

And I am a total freakin' rock star from Mars.

It worked out great for me. My mother was so inattentive, emotionally withdrawn and not concerned about me that it forced me to define who I am at a young age and be independent and self reliant. Thus, the beginning evolution of the Sky-O began.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy