Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Because some people are truly busy and work two or more low-income jobs in order to survive. So yeah, in a way, they have to be busy. Otherwise, they'll be on the streets, and then they'll still be criticized for something.. anything.

If it's not being busy, it's being called lazy.

Seriously, not everyone's privileged.
If someone's taking the time to complain, that does sound rather privileged. Nearly everyone works two-income jobs and yes, many people are low income. But the people often complaining aren't the low income earners, it's the people with middle to high income who feel the need to subsidize a lifestyle they can't comfortably afford.

When someone is low-income and has a dual-earner household, I feel for them. I saw my parents do that. They never complained about how "busy" they were, either. Neither did a lot of other parents in the same boat. What they did complain about was how they wished they could afford certain things for their kids at certain times, and had to wait. It seems rather First World Problems when people complain about how busy they are because they HAVE to squeeze in yoga classes, committee meetings, going out to eat a couple times a week, going out with friends, their personal hobbies, and then devoting a good two hours to a game on facebook. Low income families don't have that kind of time to waste, and that's my point. I wasn't part of the middle class until the end of my adolescence, so I saw this kind of issue from a different lens. It certainly wasn't a privileged one, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
If someone's taking the time to complain, that does sound rather privileged. Nearly everyone works two-income jobs and yes, many people are low income. But the people often complaining aren't the low income earners, it's the people with middle to high income who feel the need to subsidize a lifestyle they can't comfortably afford.

When someone is low-income and has a dual-earner household, I feel for them. I saw my parents do that. They never complained about how "busy" they were, either. Neither did a lot of other parents in the same boat. What they did complain about was how they wished they could afford certain things for their kids at certain times, and had to wait. It seems rather First World Problems when people complain about how busy they are because they HAVE to squeeze in yoga classes, committee meetings, going out to eat a couple times a week, going out with friends, their personal hobbies, and then devoting a good two hours to a game on facebook. Low income families don't have that kind of time to waste, and that's my point. I wasn't part of the middle class until the end of my adolescence, so I saw this kind of issue from a different lens. It certainly wasn't a privileged one, either.
Very true. Never understood those who burden themselves with unnecessary extracurricular activities only to complain.

I have a friend who VOLUNTARILY enlisted in the military yet all he does is complain when its time to be deployed. Like what did he think? He was going to on the base playing volleyball the entire time?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Very true. Never understood those who burden themselves with unnecessary extracurricular activities only to complain.

I have a friend who VOLUNTARILY enlisted in the military yet all he does is complain when its time to be deployed. Like what did he think? He was going to on the base playing volleyball the entire time?
Basketball

Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:

First rate post! You know, VG, I've had "careers" in which I made a whole lot more than I'm making now, the difference is, there was way more responsibility and a whole lot more stress, coupled with a heck of a lot of overtime hours. I'm not going to lie, the money was GREAT!!, but when the family unit started suffering, because they never saw their mother/wife, it was time to decide, "money/family" and I chose a lower paying job, which cut out some of the extras, but it made our family HAPPIER.

Happy is Good!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

I don't know why, but I find this type of complaint to be funny. When a person enlists, they're essentially "Property of US Army/Marines/Air Force/Navy." No sense in complaining when it's deployment time.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
First rate post! You know, VG, I've had "careers" in which I made a whole lot more than I'm making now, the difference is, there was way more responsibility and a whole lot more stress, coupled with a heck of a lot of overtime hours. I'm not going to lie, the money was GREAT!!, but when the family unit started suffering, because they never saw their mother/wife, it was time to decide, "money/family" and I chose a lower paying job, which cut out some of the extras, but it made our family HAPPIER.

Happy is Good!
Here is where you are wiser than most. You recognized something was wrong and DID something about it! LOL, I guess people would rather complain than try to fix their problems.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Here is where you are wiser than most. You recognized something was wrong and DID something about it! LOL, I guess people would rather complain than try to fix their problems.
Yeah, I think it's a general unwillingness to let go of preconceptions about how life works -- most particularly, about how it "should" go one's own way, should not require difficult decisions or trade-offs, etc. Somehow the idea that it "should" work a certain way prompts us to try harder. We have a tendency to misdiagnose the difficulty as that we did the right thing in a wrong way -- not that we did entirely the wrong thing in e first place.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Amen to that!

Hey, I'm not gonna lie, I have BEEN one of those people! Sometimes, I still AM one of those people.

The secret lies in finally recognizing that it's happening. The answer lies in being honest with yourself, you know? How many times in life, do we see someone dealing with a messed up situation and say, "I would NEVER........!"? On down the road, we realize we're doing the same thing! Whoops!

I also recognize that life's situations, such as this, has been the impetus behind my proclaiming, "I will NEVER say NEVER again!" Now, I cringe when others judge others harshly and say, "I would NEVER!!!... I could NEVER!!!, I will NEVER!!"" ...because I'm thinkin' ......UH OH, you just pushed the KARMA button!!!!

Folks are so brainwashed by the media, the government and society in general, into thinking that "more stuff" and "better stuff" and "bigger stuff", is what it takes to make them happy. Good grief, of course that's the damn message. How else are mentally ill people, who are obsessed with money (and the power that money brings), going to get more money? They are going to spend money researching the best methods of psychologically brainwashing and manipulating you into thinking that "stuff" makes you happy. They are then going to spend money, flooding society with these messages, creating rampant depression, anxiety, hopelessness and helplessness....feelings of unworthiness, in order to make us work harder and longer, so that we will have more money to spend on things that don't matter.

There comes a day when you realize that you're getting OLD, you don't even know your friggin mate and children .....(When's the last time you actually sat down and TALKED with them?!) and you have all this shyte in your life that you've paid for, but haven't actually had the time to ENJOY!! Yeah, BS. Yes, we need to be responsible. Yes, we need to use common sense and logic. That being said, what is it all FOR, if we're not happy! What's even more important is this...how are your life decisions affecting your family and friends. Do you have any friends....are are you too busy?

If you're making "all the right choices" and you're still miserable, then, um.....you aren't making all the right choices. It's just that simple. Be courageous and strong enough to stand back and say, WTF have I been DOING?!!! Holy crap! Apparently I need to haul my arse back over to the drawing board and do a bit of priority arranging, cuz baby, I got it ALL wrong!!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
The pace of life never use to be this fast and I think people are now just spinning out of control. Overall people were happier and calmer when life was going at a reasonable pace. People were in the moment and much more connected than they are now. Were happier and smiled more.

All the overscheduling - racing from her to there - driving like a manic - can't wait for anything - missing the roses along the way . . .

Human Beings are meant to just Be

Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the more attractive features of being busy is the rapidity of time passing, and the lesser chances of colliding with what we fear the most: facing the emptiness and meaninglessness of life.

Working in the health care field, I work with some knock-down, drag out workaholics who opt to work 2 40 hour shifts, plus all the overtime you offer them, and there are times I envy the rapidity of time passing by in their lives, but, on the other hand, I will not envy them, some day, when, due to health setbacks, they'll be miss the addiction to the "speed" they've been on, and then what?

I've been working on it for years, comfortable idleness, but I've got a long, long way to go! How quickly you can't addicted, re-addicted, to busy-ness as a great escape from life!
The second one is attractive yes but there's nothing appealing about time passing by fast. I really desire a job but at the same time I know it's gonna suck because time goes by fast already even though I'm unemployed. I'm sure I'm different though. Time is more of my enemy than for anyone else though. I am sitting here wondering what happened to summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy