Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Let me see. Evidence.

I went on a voyage on my ship the Beagle and observed my ship mates. I saw them navigating and learning from their navigation. I thought that maybe humans were Intelligent and they were learning as they creatively applied their Intelligence. Hmmmm .. Maybe that is how humans evolve:

They observe within their Intelligence, they make adjustments (choices) with this Intelligence, they use Intelligence to observe the effects of their choices, their Intelligence stores what they learn as memories, and thus their Intelligence evolves, Intelligence that exists in every living cell in their body.

Thus is the story of Evolution of Creative Intelligence. Anyone can sit and observe on a ship the Evolution of human intelligence.
This is a hypothesis.

Now you need testable and repeatable experiments to prove your point as more valid.

I can write up a lab that allows me to do the following.

I can watch one atom. Then I can put groups of atoms together to make a cell. Then I can observe many cells being put together. I can watch one person in a dingie thingie. Then I can watch a ship full of dingie thingies.

That shows emergence.

What is your lab?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:06 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And I am talking about the process of biological evolution that first gave rise to Human Intelligence. The process itself has no evidence, least of all from you, of being intelligence or having an intelligence that ran it.

Have a problem with this?
Exactly.

Now what exactly is evolving? I mean precisely the thing "that first gave rise to Human Intelligence"

Here comes the magic trick! Drum rolls.

BTW, The Intelligence process can be really observed in any children's playground.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
What is evolving in Biological Evolution? Well... all the flora and fauna on the planet that is what. Whats "magic" about that?

Youre still not replying to a single part of my actual position. Do you, or do you not, have a shred of evidence that the process of Evolution itself... the one that produced Humans and was running long before Humans arose.... is itself intelligent, or has been implemented or run by an intelligence?

It is not a complex question, give it a go.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:25 AM

What I want to know is what precisely is evolving and giving rise to Intelligence. Broad brushes are excellent at hiding sleight of hand. Are you embarrassed by the answer or maybe you don't know what gave rise to Intelligence?

As I said, Evilving Intelligence can easily be observed all the time all around us. Try observing yourself respond to this message if there is no playground nearby.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Then what you "want to know" is exactly what I already said in post #553.

As for what is "giving rise to intelligence" we covered this already. It is the biological brain that has done so, and we are mostly ignorant as to how this has come about, how it works and why.

And once again your second paragraph above has nothing to do with the point I am making. Yet you keep repeating it.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Then what you "want to know" is exactly what I already said in post #553.

As for what is "giving rise to intelligence" we covered this already. It is the biological brain that has done so, and we are mostly ignorant as to how this has come about, how it works and why.

And once again your second paragraph above has nothing to do with the point I am making. Yet you keep repeating it.
Excellent! We are getting closer and closer to understanding how the magical trick is performed

Now this biological brain you are referring to (I call it the magical hat). It already is living and has Intelligence right? (Just helping matters along here since I know magicians hate to reveal how their tricks are performed).

So I guess I'm looking for what precisely in the brain before it became a biological brain) gave rise to Intelligence so as to make it a biological brain.

Any other scientist on this thread can feel free to reveal the magic trick whenever it suits him/her. You know, that little trick called emergent Intelligence.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Aside from your fetish for the word "magic" you have not actually replied to my point. You are asking me, yet again despite having asked numerous times before, what exactly in our brain gives rise to our intelligence and consciousness. And as I keep telling you, this is an open question. We simply do not know how these things work at this time. Where you are so desperate to use the word "magic" to feed your fetish for it, I use the word "ignorance". This is an area of ignorance for us at this time.

But that in no way speaks to my main point, the point you have spent quite a number of days simply dodging and retreating from and simply not once replying to, which is that the process of evolution which seemingly did give rise to this conscious brain, regardless of how it did so, is a process that ITSELF does not appear to be intelligent or intentional, or have an intelligence or intentional agent that implemented it.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:08 AM

You know, have you ever been trip a magic show, where the magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat and everyone on the audience wants to know how he did that trick.

Well you just pulled Intelligence out of that hat which you call a biological brain and I want to know how you did it? Is it really magic or can you explain the trick?

I would love to hear from any magician on how this little trick is performed. It's a doozy.

My Intelligence is quite Intelligent and is a process on to itself. It gives rise to Evolution. In fact it gives rise to your biological brain as well as all other biological creatures.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 AM

The only one pulling things out of hats is you by constantly referencing things that I never said and pretending I did.

Intelligence exists, it appears to be here due to biological evolution. These are not statements of magic. They are statements about the data set. You are, at this point, so desperate to use the word "magic" in every post that you are not even trying to make it make sense anymore.

Again intelligence exists, this is a simple fact. There is no reason, much less from you, to think the explanation for this fact is itself another intelligence. That is all my point is, and you have not rebutted or even replied to it once in the many days I have been making it.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Intelligence exists? From whence it came? I'm just dying to find out how this magic trick is performed. From what hat is science pulling it out of? Or are you saying Intelligence has always been there?

You know, I'm just this unintelligent chemical reaction trying to understand how your chemical reaction figured out where Intelligence came from.

BTW, a big "I don't know" will do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.