Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
How can one be absolutely sure they didn't exist prior to
whatever physical form they take?

Incarnation doesn't necessarily equal essence.

Granted, I don't recall choosing to incarnate in my current physical form
in this current era, but then again, I don't recall being forced to, either.

So why assume it was forced, other than this is what the majority
have been conditioned to believe throughout the centuries?
So in other words.... WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WWOOOOOOWWWOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry, but the process of how individual life emerges has absolutely nothing to do with volition of that individual. It's just a consequence of events I had nothing to do with.

Prior to my physical existence it's overwhelmingly likely I simply didn't exist. We're physical beings; no physical existence=non-existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 5,663 times
My friends were talking about this topic other day. Can't you see having children is an unilateral decision? I believe the imposition of life is a selfish, immoral act, and that's why I am not having children. I don't feel like I have the right to make this serious decision for someone else. We live in a world of intense suffering. When people say that life has also joy and that's a justification for procreation, I just think that chocolate chips, lollipops, candies and muffins make up for the horrors that happen in this world everyday and people should start seeing things more realistically.
Even though, I don't think procreation is something to be forbidden. I think people should be free to make this decision. I just think we should bring more awareness to this question and the immorality of procreation should be recognized.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
So in other words.... WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WWOOOOOOWWWOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry, but the process of how individual life emerges has absolutely nothing to do with volition of that individual. It's just a consequence of events I had nothing to do with.

Prior to my physical existence it's overwhelmingly likely I simply didn't exist. We're physical beings; no physical existence=non-existence.
In your opinion, of course.

Pure speculation, either way. It's just that one view has had more air-time,
so folks are more inclined to simply buy into it.

-

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
my primary concern is not forcing existence on them it is the great sin of my generation---- refusing to move the offspring from childhood to adulthood.
an ocean of 35 year old skate board wonders.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my primary concern is not forcing existence on them it is the great sin of my generation---- refusing to move the offspring from childhood to adulthood.
an ocean of 35 year old skate board wonders.
Hahaha that's a good one!!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri123 View Post
My friends were talking about this topic other day. Can't you see having children is an unilateral decision? I believe the imposition of life is a selfish, immoral act, and that's why I am not having children. I don't feel like I have the right to make this serious decision for someone else. We live in a world of intense suffering. When people say that life has also joy and that's a justification for procreation, I just think that chocolate chips, lollipops, candies and muffins make up for the horrors that happen in this world everyday and people should start seeing things more realistically.
Even though, I don't think procreation is something to be forbidden. I think people should be free to make this decision. I just think we should bring more awareness to this question and the immorality of procreation should be recognized.
Yes, I think we're very much in agreement, though I do understand I might co-produce someone who winds up having a wonderful life. The greatest probability is that he/she would just have a typical mundane existence. He/she would experiences a few wonderful things, a few awful things, but the vast majority of experiences would be mundane and forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post
In your opinion, of course.

Pure speculation, either way. It's just that one view has had more air-time
No, it's not simply my 'opinion'; it's the perspective that's mostly likely true. Unless someone can provide evidence for how it's even remotely possible for any facet of our being to exist prior to our actual physical existence, you're the one engaged in baseless speculation, not me. As someone asserting something in the affirmative, you're the one who must provide evidence. A positive assertion can be proven, but negative one can't, so no evidence probably equals no existence.

Acceptance of the probable finality of death is actually still a minority perspective, while belief in 'something beyond the physical self' is and has been widely held throughout history.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 AM

7 posts, read 5,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri123 View Post
Don't make up *

Last edited by Lauri123; 01-27-2015 at 02:18 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 AM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
No, it's not simply my 'opinion'; it's the perspective that's mostly likely true.
It would have to go beyond being merely a 'perspective that's most likely
true' to an actual fact in order to move beyond the realm of opinion. I
would love to see evidence that I was forced to exist. That will likely be
as forthcoming as evidence that we volunteered (though some recall
doing so; it falls under the general category of 'pre-birth planning').

Quote:
Unless someone can provide evidence for how it's even remotely possible for any facet of our being to exist prior to our actual physical existence, you're the one engaged in baseless speculation, not me.
Likewise, unless someone can provide evidence for how it's even
remotely possible for any facet of our being to *not* exist prior to our
actual physical existence, then stating otherwise has no more footing.

I have no more evidence that I was 'forced' to exist than I do that I
volunteered. So why run with it, other than if propelled by some kind of
existential crisis? Who else would consider existence an actual imposition
but those struggling with some form of depression?

Quote:
As someone asserting something in the affirmative, you're the one who must provide evidence. A positive assertion can be proven, but negative one can't, so no evidence probably equals no existence.
So since you were the first to assert, in the affirmative, that we are being
'forced' to exist, evidence for that assertion would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Acceptance of the probable finality of death is actually still a minority perspective, while belief in 'something beyond the physical self' is and has been widely held throughout history.
Probably because people generally realize that there is more to us than
meat-suits. The specific belief that we volunteered to come down here
might be on the rare side, however.

Incidentally, if it's true that we don't exist apart from our physical bodies,
then where's the offense in existence being 'forced' on someone? It's not
like it's a never-ending sentence.

I could see it being an issue for someone if they believed that their soul
was immortal, independent of their physical body, because then they
could complain that they've been 'forced' into something that can't be
reversed.

But if one believes that they're nothing more than their physical body,
well -- and as morbid as this may sound -- that's easily 'fixed'. Nothing's
been handed to them that can't be handed back anytime they so choose.

This, of course, is where my irony-meter gives out. Those complaining
about having been forced to exist, go on doing so anyway, so they must
be finding some benefit to that which they deem such a grave offense.

-

Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All things being equal (re: illnesses, mental disease), since happiness is a choice people tend to make, I don't agree with your premise.

Most chronically 'unhappy' people I know simply have no perspective on how good they have it.

Mental illness or chronic disease? That's a different boat, but any of us could be subject to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The "happiness is a choice people make argument" makes me so angry due to its ignorance that i find it hard to control myself.....

Not only do I not feel comfortable giving life to more of something that is not needed, I do not feel that it would be responsible for me to do so and pass on my "faulty genetic materials." I could never forgive myself if an offspring of mine suffered a major mood disorder or schizophrenia as many in my family do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Didja read what I wrote?
All things being equal (not including illnesses, mental or otherwise).
Ignorance is also applicable to people who knee jerk reactions insteadly of thoughtfully reading what's presented...because you're programmed to look for the crappy lining, right?
It's your comfort zone.

No, since I'm a therapist by training, I'm programmed to see when people are minimizing mental illnesses. Many, if not most, people who are chronically "unhappy" are "CLINICALY DEPRESSED. "

See how you just made an assumption about me being "programmed to look for the crappy lining"? When you make similar incorrect sweeping statements such as "happiness is a choice" (with a little CYA PC language thrown in for good measure) it is not beneficial to anyone. In fact, it prompts people who are depressed to blame themselves more, and builds more guilt, for not "choosing to be happy."

Nobody needs that.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's because people in our society have a hard time taking responsibility for themselves and everybody wants to be a "victim" of something.
Um, yeah....

Or you know, maybe because the concept of "choosing to be happy" is a way to blame the victim of mental illness. We would never say, "how about you 'CHOOSE' to lower your blood sugar without using insulin.... you know, just 'CHOOSE' your way out of a diabetic coma."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy