Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I hope you realize you have totally demolished any value you may have had, if indeed you had any to start with, as a contributor to this discussion.
Just because I point out the obvious trolling of hutennis and Matadora?

Do you care to try to show how I have been wrong?

I am a humble person, eager to know how I have erred -- if indeed I have.

So welcome to the great conversation that we call "philosophy."

I eagerly await your contribution.

Last edited by dechatelet; 09-06-2015 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 AM

Interesting that my opponents are all committed atheists (I've checked their posts in other threads), meaning they find belief in God utterly absurd and ridiculous.

That's fine.

I don't care whether or not they believe.

But they certainly care whether or not I do.

And I've never even taken a position either way.

But how DARE I question them?

The nerve!

Hilarious.

Eric Hoffer wrote an interesting book called "The True Believer."

He describes my opponents to a tee: unreasonable, closed-minded, willing to lie and misrepresent -- all the things that they accuse organized religion of doing.

Again...hilarious.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,994 times
@ OP, via your second proposal, your 100% certainty claim of God not existing is incorrect. Nothing is certain, believe what you will.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:57 AM

"God is dead" -- Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" -- God

Old 09-06-2015, 07:01 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Do you care to try to show how I have been wrong?

This shows exactly how .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Just because I point out the obvious trolling of hutennis and Matadora?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"we have the real truth because we are 100%correct". oopps I mean 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999999999999999999
Haven't heard this before.

Forget the joke .... what god are you talking about?
When thinking on a scale as vast as a universe or a god, I don't think the human brain can be 100% correct about anything. We aren't nearly smart enough and probably shouldn't pretend to be 100% sure of anything. That in itself would be smart.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
When thinking on a scale as vast as a universe or a god, I don't think the human brain can be 100% correct about anything. We aren't nearly smart enough and probably shouldn't pretend to be 100% sure of anything. That in itself would be smart.
Spot on!

Here are two excerpts from A Free Man's Worship by Bertrand Russell that sums it up nicely.

Quote:
-SNIP-

The savage, like ourselves, feels the oppression of his impotence before the powers of Nature; but having in himself nothing that he respects more than Power, he is willing to prostrate himself before his gods, without inquiring whether they are worthy of his worship.

Pathetic and very terrible is the long history of cruelty and torture, of degradation and human sacrifice, endured in the hope of placating the jealous gods: surely, the trembling believer thinks, when what is most precious has been freely given, their lust for blood must be appeased, and more will not be required.

The religion of Moloch--as such creeds may be generically called--is in essence the cringing submission of the slave, who dare not, even in his heart, allow the thought that his master deserves no adulation. Since the independence of ideals is not yet acknowledged, Power may be freely worshipped, and receive an unlimited respect, despite its wanton infliction of pain.
Quote:
But gradually, as morality grows bolder, the claim of the ideal world begins to be felt; and worship, if it is not to cease, must be given to gods of another kind than those created by the savage. Some, though they feel the demands of the ideal, will still consciously reject them, still urging that naked Power is worthy of worship. Such is the attitude inculcated in God's answer to Job out of the whirlwind: the divine power and knowledge are paraded, but of the divine goodness there is no hint. Such also is the attitude of those who, in our own day, base their morality upon the struggle for survival, maintaining that the survivors are necessarily the fittest. But others, not content with an answer so repugnant to the moral sense, will adopt the position which we have become accustomed to regard as specially religious, maintaining that, in some hidden manner, the world of fact is really harmonious with the world of ideals.

Thus Man creates God, all-powerful and all-good, the mystic unity of what is and what should be.
Bertrand Russell, A Free Man's Worship

Old 09-06-2015, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
yup

but I am pretty darn sure somebody posted this tho, I am just not so sure who ...

Old 09-07-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This shows exactly how .
No, it doesn't.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:54 PM

48 posts, read 34,460 times
Default god

I dont know if God. But Goddess exists.
See for example Ramakrishna and his vision of Kali.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HdUfuemNx-...ali+poster.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy