Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times

Advertisements

In some days I'm going to be 55. I never thought about age or death before but it hit me that 55 is close to 60 and 60 is close to 65 and so on. I've been alive for 54 going on 55 years.

What really gets me is hearing about people I knew dying. There's still so much more I want to do and is five years enough? How long will my health hold out? Heck how much longer do I have left? My answer at this point is to live as best as I can for as long as I can. 54 years went by so fast. How long is this mortal death?

So I just had my life limitation eye opening. Have any others had such a realization and if so when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:35 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
There is no answer to your questions because the reality of life is that you could die in your sleep tonight or you could be alive in 50 years or anywhere in between. You could also have great health or you could have a stroke like I did on
August 18, 2015 at the age of 54.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:35 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
The end goal for electrically powered water filled gas processing meat bags inhabited by sentient multidimensional beings is to ride them until they break, and get in line to ride another.

YEE - HAW !

Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
...So I just had my life limitation eye opening. Have any others had such a realization and if so when?
Naw, you've just had that sentimental twitch called the DEW sign....Distant Early Warning. Your eyes are going to really open wide when Mr. Death chomps down hard on your rump and doesn't let go: heart attack, cancer, a major car accident...whatever. Until then most of the time we wrap Death in a lot of awful poetry.

But when he sinks his sabre-toothed incisors into your backside, you will know him beyond a doubt....and you may feel the tips of those pointy teeth right in the old heart muscle. Fun! From that time on - if there is an "on" - he's the Best Friend you never wanted.

Last edited by kevxu; 12-21-2015 at 05:29 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,798,713 times
Every night your consciousness is "turned off".

For some reason, you believe your consciousness will be "turned on" again in the next morning.

If it is "turned off" and is never "turned on" again, what is the big problem?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
On almost every thread that talks about mortality the consensus is that they will all live to their 90's or more. Why does the majority of people think they will live so long? It's easy to think that a long life is ahead of you if you are suffering from habitual optimism and they think that it's "always the other guy" syndrome.

I keep a death list of the people I have know in my life that died and that were about my age at the time I put them on the list. I now have 35 names on it. When I look at the papers obituary page I find that 1/3 to 1/2 on any given day are my age or younger and I'm 62.

Estimated longevity lists for age of people by sex and race is not the mean of all deaths by age. The list is that expected age of people that die from "natural causes" but doesn't include any one that dies from diseases such as; cancer, heart attack or car crash. The list of the average expected age when including ALL causes the expected longevity drops by about 10 years. As an example, my expected longevity is 77, but if I average ALL deaths for my sex and age and race together my expected longevity is 65.

Mortality should be a concern for every one that has a brain and can think for themselves.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:56 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,798,713 times
What difference it makes to live 218 years, 364 years or 425 years?

Why living 425 years would be better than living 218 years?

Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Here are my feelings on the subject. I am 70 and realize I am not going to live forever, however, I have to accept that I have had a wonderful life, have wonderful people in my life, and have outlived a lot of other people I know. There are so many people who have not had the chance to live as long as me or enjoy the relatively good health I have enjoyed, so how can I possibly complain. I could die today and have nothing to complain about.

Simply look at the news and you will see people dying in infancy, and a lot of years before their time. Or, simply look at some unfortunate person who has severe disabilities and who would give everything they have to enjoy the things the rest of us take for granted. It would be very small and selfish of me to feel sorry for myself, after God gave me so many things to be thankful for.

I should have died probably 5 times in my life (car wrecks, heart attacks, strokes, etc) but I was given the opportunity to see another day. If that ends tomorrow, thanks for all the good times I did have for so many years. The only thing that does bother me is what my passing will do to my two Sons, but I will not feel bad for myself.

Don

Old 12-21-2015, 07:26 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
In some days I'm going to be 55. I never thought about age or death before but it hit me that 55 is close to 60 and 60 is close to 65 and so on. I've been alive for 54 going on 55 years.

What really gets me is hearing about people I knew dying. There's still so much more I want to do and is five years enough? How long will my health hold out? Heck how much longer do I have left? My answer at this point is to live as best as I can for as long as I can. 54 years went by so fast. How long is this mortal death?

So I just had my life limitation eye opening. Have any others had such a realization and if so when?
I have had it--probably around the same age.

What has impacted me more has been attending the funerals of two men I knew very well who died suddenly and early. One, this man, was 31, the other 25. In both cases, they were men who enriched my own life by knowing them. Their funerals were attended by hundreds of people who testified to have been similarly enriched by knowing these young men.

They have both left me wondering, "What the hell have I done with my life, even having had so much more time?"

Old 12-21-2015, 10:16 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:

I just turned 48 a few weeks ago. I've had several near death experiences as other's have said you can't go by one's age it's not that simple. I will agree that life does seem to go by in the blink of an eye.
I had my grandmother pass a couple of years ago then my mom's sister passed last year. My mom likely won't make it until the summer. I try not to think about getting old as I watch my moms cancer take effect on her all I can do is hope that I don't pass in the pain that she has every day. I try & live life the best I can I hope that I pass doing the things that I love to do before I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy