Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times

Advertisements

As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM

927 posts, read 758,919 times
Well you might get your wish. They could implant your brain into a robot body sooner than you think.
The Buddah was asked "Why must we die?" He said "Because we are born."
If you are worried about it, you have not completed something.
Someone said that we were born to untie our karma that we've kept, but instead we just make more new knots in the thing.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Well you might get your wish. They could implant your brain into a robot body sooner than you think.
The Buddah was asked "Why must we die?" He said "Because we are born."
If you are worried about it, you have not completed something.
Someone said that we were born to untie our karma that we've kept, but instead we just make more new knots in the thing.
I like the Buddah quote you gave, and I agree to certain extend. Just to clarify, I am not worry about death, instead, I am well aware death exist, but is not something I think about all the time. I thought it would be interesting to see how people respond to this topic. That's all.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Well it doesn't seem like a choice. Its something I accept without thinking twice about it. I think about it as in, "I better do this now before I run out of time." Don't forget you might be too old to do some things too.
My experience is that people who do not want to die, have not lived correctly. Rich people who still think they are poor. Women who never screamed at the molestor that abused them.
Its important to untie the knots in your karma so you are left with free flowing strands.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM

I may have gotten the quote wrong. It was from the Fourth Tower of Inverness.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
I think a more interesting question is why didn't we Evolve with the ability to live 1000's of years with the attribute that the older we get the more beautiful we become?

The oldest Redwood is 5,000 years old.

The answer is that it's all about our genetic makeup.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
because there is no real death. Only the ego thinks that. think of your skin or your blood, they are not the same as they were even a year ago, but you still have skin and blood. conservation laws apply everywhere as far as we know.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
OP, that you die is based on faulty idea that you are your body.
As this apparently needs further study on your behalf, it may be a good idea to dedicate effort to this and then possibly re think your concern?
Someone here said why we do not live a 1000 years? Haven't we actually lost that ability?
Everyone has choice. Choice is simple: one either stays on the wheel of samsara, or one works towards conscious immortality and gets off it. The rest is truly irrelevant.
There are some other reasons body dies. No one would have been able, being in physical, to withstand unusually long existence. It is too much burden. I always like to refer to a great movie on this topic - Groundhog Day.
Thus, immortal Self in body needs rest, what happens in after the death states.
Self can not work out its destiny being in only one body. That is another reason for change of the physical abode.
Physical body, being of imperfect, like anything else that is of imperfect, can not sustain itself for extended periods of time.
Of course, theorists of "transhumanity" believe that a human may be conveyed into a device of a sort where it can exist eternally. Its conscience, better to say.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think a more interesting question is why didn't we Evolve with the ability to live 1000's of years with the attribute that the older we get the more beautiful we become?

The oldest Redwood is 5,000 years old.

The answer is that it's all about our genetic makeup.
I'm curious: It's been several years since I read about the cellular/genetic basis for aging, but at the time it's wasn't that well understood. At that time I don't think they really understood why we age in much detail. Has this changed?

I would guess there's some inherent characteristic of animals that prevents us from having exceedingly long lifespans relative to some plants, like a Redwood, but I'm just speculating.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Life creates new life. It works like that for animals, plants and other living things.
If it did not work that way, we, and those living things we see around us, would not be here. Instead there would be some very old creatures around using up the limited resources of the Earth. Instead, all living things die and re-fertilize the soil, and because of that, new life that has come into being, is able to grow and reproduce itself. That's the way the cycle works. Life is dependent on death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy