Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM

221 posts, read 187,405 times

Advertisements

Because we live in a "pro-birth" vs "pro-life" culture and effectively reduce the amount of resources that can curb unwanted pregnancy. Usually there is a cross wearing fanatic spewing religious, ignorant garbage at impressionable young people and a lot of times it's their religious, ignorant parent (who is usually divorced and in debt) who would have had a much better life if they were given the education and resources to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies when they were kids.

but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
you seriously don't see making a human life - something that is capable of emotions and thoughts - as a retirement plan as immoral or wrong at all? plus, there is no guarantee your kids will take care of you in old age. In the united states, they are not. Your kids could hate you, move out at 18, and never talk or see you again. If you want financial support in old age, you invest in your IRA or 401k, not a human life.
If you are plannjng to take a penny from Medicare or social security, you're living off of somebody's kid as part of your retirement plan.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Why this hate for kids in today's generation. Having kids back in the day was considered a blessing and a sign of a good relationship and was glue that kept the parents together, now people just see kids as an unconvince. What is wrong with procreating? What is wrong with wanting someone to keep the family name alive? What is wrong with wanting a part of you to survive for eons to come through your offspring? What is wrong with wanting humanity to keep on going? What is wrong wanting to raise someone who is of your flesh and blood? What is wrong with wanting someone to look after you when you are old? Do you even relies the garbage you are saying? Why do you want there to be no more babies? Why do you want the economy to collapse in 20-40 years from now? Why do you want nobody to look after you when you are old? Why do you want the human race to go extinct? Why do you want technology/robotics to replace it? Look at China and their failed one child policy, there are more old people than young and all that burden to look after the old is placed on the young who can'nt support them, and labourors are running out, which is why China is ending its one child policy. And the same thing is also happening in Europe and Japan, but it is because people no longer want kids or only want one kid. Do you think this is a good thing?

Wow...how many bingos can you have in a single paragraph ? lol

To answer all your "whys" and "why nots" : OVERPOPULATION.

As we get more and more crowded we are showing the symptoms of overpopulation that those with kids would like to pretend isn't happening. More and more impatience with other people in general, road rage, insane commuter traffic etc etc. Parents like to bleat that everyone needs to be more tolerant but there is a limit on how much tolerance you can expect from a person.

To the OP. People don't use birth control responsibly because they know that paying taxes is compulsory and they can easily stick the cost of their DNA replicants onto the unwilling taxpayer.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Were do you think your social security comes from, the taxes of the younger generation. Anyways kids are obviously not just a retirement plan, I for one would just want some because I love kids. But it seems to be a dieing trend. Also why people don't adopt as often is because there is a stronger bond with someone who is of your dna than a strangers kids, we are just hard wired that way. Though I think it's very Nobel of people who adopt.
I don't know about you, but i EARNED every penny of my social security.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Some people have kids because they truly want them, some have them by mistake, and some have them simply to "keep up with the joneses" so they fit in.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:33 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Yes and no, your gov is using your taxes now and will repay you with the taxes of tomorrow's kids. No kids, no repayment, that's how it works. Also overpopulation only happens if everyone has 3 or more kids. If everyone has two kids the population is stable or slightly decreasing since some people die before having kids of their own. And if everyone has one kid there is a large decrease in population. And if only some people have kids, rapid depopulation and collapse in economy. Robots might fix the labor issue but we are not that technologically advanced yet. Though we will need to curb our population because robots are inevitable and there will be billions of people with out a job.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:06 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Never wanted kids for myself and so don't have any. I've never understood why there are so many unwanted pregnancies in this day and age either. Kids are only for those who TRULY want them and only for those who are both mentally and financially fit to raise them. A lot of parents don't fit either of those two requirements unfortunately.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I don't know about you, but i EARNED every penny of my social security.
As did I. Also, my taxes went to help fund schools that I helped other people's kids utilized but I didn't because I never had kids. In Portland, I paid an Arts Tax which went to funding the arts for kids. As a non-parent I have contributed whenever I could to help those families in need who were less fortunate than I.

Not everyone who chooses not to have kids hates kids or doesn't want to help them help better this world.

In a Society, people are supposed to help support one another not just sit back selfishly and figure out who did what to deserve whatever.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Just because the technology exists to prevent pregnancy, doesn't mean people won't have kids. For one thing, the technologies fail sometimes. For another, lots of people want kids.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:52 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
So why do people have kids in the 21st century, anyways? .
I wanted to be a Mother when I grew up. Probably the best job I ever had.

They (kids) are rather fun to have around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy