Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
With all the talk of brain, neurons, etc. seems many people associate life with their body. IMO, the body is just a shell. When it breaks down and ceases to fulfill its purpose, the spirit (soul, energy, what have you) still exists.
Well, my opinion (that life is associated with a body) is based on faith in things that I experience or that people show me by reproducible experiments; yours is apparently based on faith in things that people tell you. To each his own :-). Btw, when a body is under anesthesia for surgery, where does the spirit (soul, energy, what have you) go? I have been under anesthesia myself, and I work in healthcare, with people who undergo anesthesia. All I (and the other anesthetized patients) know is what a part of my body called the brain knew before and after anesthesia; in between, while the electrical activity of this part of the body is greatly diminshed or abolished, there is a complete nothingness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:47 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
With all the talk of brain, neurons, etc. seems many people associate life with their body. IMO, the body is just a shell. When it breaks down and ceases to fulfill its purpose, the spirit (soul, energy, what have you) still exists.

Why do you think that?

Do you think its the same when another animal dies, like a pig?
Or when anything living dies, like a bacteria or a blade of grass?
Isn't it just human narcissism that makes humans think they are so special that they can't just cease to exist, that they will carry on in some magical form. Nice idea - but seems entirely speculative at best, and just a tad self-deceiving if one strips away the narcissism.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
I mean how will it feel to be dead?.
Search for near death experiences (NDEs) on YouTube.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:20 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
People hallucinate when their brain is exposed to a high concentration of carbon dioxide, which generally happens when one is dying and not breathing, or one is regaining consciousness after an interval of not breathing, or in situations of insufficient breathing that are not associated with death. Search for information about that on the Internet if you have never seen it yourself (I have, but don't take anyody's word about it without examining it critically).

Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
death is a process of the brain and body being disconnected, and the natural process taking place. It's no wonder there are so many similarities in the process, it's biology.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
How does it feel to be dead?

Well, there's only one way to find out. Please let us know if you can.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:29 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
It looks like half of the philosophy forum is filled with threads about death and dying. Are there so many scaredy-cats out these who cannot accept a simple fact of human existence: that this existence must have an end? And who have nothing else to do than sit around and wonder about that.

Folks, just go outside already. There is too much beauty in life to think about death.
As Osho would say: Every day you don't contemplate your own death is a totally wasted day!

Thinking about death can be a super energizer to people, it has for me!

I was always thinking I'm going to be dead next year, and as a result of that erroneous thinking, I've been all over the world, why? Fearful I wouldn't live long enough to see it all. Now? Saw it all! Fear of death: gone with the wind!

As they say, nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel!

For those fearful of death, I say, travel-travel-travel, bring yourself closer to eternity!

Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Search for near death experiences (NDEs) on YouTube.
The aren't Death Experiences. They're NEAR death experiences. So how is that going to help?

Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The aren't Death Experiences. They're NEAR death experiences. So how is that going to help?
or They're Nearly-death experiences.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why do you think that?

Do you think its the same when another animal dies, like a pig?
Or when anything living dies, like a bacteria or a blade of grass?
Isn't it just human narcissism that makes humans think they are so special that they can't just cease to exist, that they will carry on in some magical form. Nice idea - but seems entirely speculative at best, and just a tad self-deceiving if one strips away the narcissism.
Yes, actually I do believe that every living thing exists in some form or fashion after death. Hardly narcissism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy