Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
What's so scary is that you won't have a mind or consiousness to feel that peace and rest. It's not like right now when you can go to a masseuse or whatever floats your boat and they do an awesome job. You get to experience that right then physically and mentally. But with death you can't be able to physically enjoy that peace and rest cause there is no more physical you.
But there will be no more fear, stress, worry anymore either. Just endless sleep. And no disturbing dreams either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 02:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
This so the exact type of simple minded response that I'm talking about. Not getting at all what I'm saying. Your first line is addressed in my second point of the op. If you have any philosophical point to add, please continue.
You're the one having neurosis about death but calling someone well-adjusted about it "simple minded"?

I was going to give you a good answer but now I'm not.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Please continue? You don't get to dictate who comments. Forums don't work that way.

No, I don't worry about things I don't have any control over. I have ZERO control over when I'll die. Why the heck would I sit here wasting my life worrying about it? I wouldn't be living! I don't worry about silly things. I do worry about paying my bills, keeping the lights turned on, making sure there's food in my home, things that actually matter. We're all going to die, so why waste my time worrying about it? Why worry about the slim possibility of going blind? Blind people do just fine! So do deaf people. So do many disabled people.

Oh and I get what your saying. You're worrying about something goofy that you have ZERO control over and are wasting your life over such nonsense.

I know many Mormons and they have a strong belief in the afterlife. They will be with their entire family again. None of them worry about dying. they look forward to it. No, they aren't throwing themselves off cliffs to die, but they know they won't be alone and will see people again. Hey, it's great that works for them. If it works for others, good for them. If it doesn't work for others, good for them also. Personally, the idea of being stuck with my entire family for all of eternity sounds like absolute hell and a whole new level of torture.
LOL right?

Old 11-01-2016, 02:27 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times
I might be totally off Base on this but could it be that people who enjoys less what life has to offer would come to accept death more as it will be more of a relief when that time comes as oppose to people who enjoy life more wish that it will never end?

Like when you're on a ride that to enjoy and you wish it could last longer or even forever versus someone who hates the ride and can't wait it for it to be over.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You're the one having neurosis about death but calling someone well-adjusted about it "simple minded"?

I was going to give you a good answer but now I'm not.
Wrong.

His first response was a simple attempt that's been heard many times before which was addressed in my op.

'Who cares! I'll be dead!"

That gives no effort to answer my question which is why it was simple minded.

And if you don't wish to give me a 'good answer' more power to you. Why come in this thread in the first place? To pad your post count?

FYI. If you read my other posts on this topic will see that I do enjoy my life. But as cerebral human being. This is one of the things that i fear. I also worry about world peace, world hunger, many other social problems and i too will fear when my ability to fear for all those things will be taken away from me.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:42 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Actually, I have a fear of what that state of non consiousness will rob me of which is what I have right now. Does that make sense?

So maybe I'm not afraid of death itself but what it will rob me of
Is it fear, or is it that you just don't want it to end? There's a difference. Fear of that, no does not make sense to me, sorry. Non-consciousness from my perspective can hold absolutely no sense of fear for anyone because you are non-existent in it. You pass from existing to not existing meaning you have no sense of anything at all. There can be nothing to fear about this precisely because there is nothing there: not you not anything.

Not wanting it to end, yeah, that I can understand. Life can be immensely enjoyable for those fortunate few. Enjoy it the best you can. You can fear being deprived of what you enjoy in this life, having those things taken away from you and being in a state of existence where you remember your past enjoyment but cannot have that now. That is not death however (as some people understand death). Death you don't know anything or can miss anything because you are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You have no more evidence that it's the end than you have evidence you won't be floating around out there hanging out with all the other people who died before you. Elvis, whoever....
Right, it amazes me that some people seem to look condescendingly on those who have a belief in an afterlife and then also think that their belief that there is no afterlife, that death is an end to everything represents something more factual or something. Both viewpoints have no basis in fact. Both viewpoints represent the beliefs the individual has cultivated for themselves based on their experiences in life. Takes as much faith to believe that death is an end to consciousness as it does to believe that a heavenly being such as God exists, and that much is a fact.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 11-01-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Is it fear, or is it that you just don't want it to end? There's a difference. Fear of that, no does not make sense to me, sorry. Non-consciousness from my perspective can hold absolutely no sense of fear for anyone because you are non-existent in it. You pass from existing to not existing meaning you have no sense of anything at all. There can be nothing to fear about this precisely because there is nothing there: not you not anything.

Not wanting it to end, yeah, that I can understand. Life can be immensely enjoyable for those fortunate few. Enjoy it the best you can. You can fear being deprived of what you enjoy in this life, having those things taken away from you and being in a state of existence where you remember your past enjoyment but cannot have that now. That is not death however (as some people understand death). Death you don't know anything or can miss anything because you are not.
Let's say that it is that I just don't want it to end. But I know 100% that it will end with my death. Wouldn't that turn my feelings to fear?

You're getting there to my point but you missed it with 'being in a state of existence where you remember ..but cannot have that now'. Death to me isn't even that . In death, I won't even have a memory and cannot yearn what I don't remember. There will be no 'I' period.

But because there is an 'I' (living being) now, I(presently in this living being of mine)fear a time where there will be no 'I' in death. I know that there is no fear in death cause 'I' and all my ability and senses will cease to be no more in death.

Am I just going around in circle and not making sense?

Last edited by kcatheart; 11-01-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM

31 posts, read 17,889 times
Everyone has some fear of death; it's impossible for a sentient creature not to fear death. However, for most healthy and well-adjusted people, this fear is rarely in the forefront of their consciousness. Most of us feel it on a conscious level only when we are in some danger, such as a scary moment on the freeway or when the doctor tells us he wants to get a CAT scan of that lump he found. Others of us may feel that fear occasionally when we reflect upon the mysteries of life and the afterlife, but even then it's rarely a palpable, visceral fear. I would suggest that anyone who spends enough time feeling fearful of death that it becomes any kind of distraction for them should seek help from a professional, because inordinate fears of things that are both inevitable and beyond your control are not rational.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:04 PM

And for those who thinks that I need help or what not. That's not even the case. I live my life fine.

This is a philosophy forum and I'm just enjoying a philosophical debate.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBear View Post
Everyone has some fear of death; it's impossible for a sentient creature not to fear death. However, for most healthy and well-adjusted people, this fear is rarely in the forefront of their consciousness. Most of us feel it on a conscious level only when we are in some danger, such as a scary moment on the freeway or when the doctor tells us he wants to get a CAT scan of that lump he found. Others of us may feel that fear occasionally when we reflect upon the mysteries of life and the afterlife, but even then it's rarely a palpable, visceral fear. I would suggest that anyone who spends enough time feeling fearful of death that it becomes any kind of distraction for them should seek help from a professional, because inordinate fears of things that are both inevitable and beyond your control are not rational.
Your first line is exactly My point.

So this post was for those who say they have no fear of death whatsoever

I am in the bolded category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy