Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 PM

331 posts, read 315,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I won't be raising kids at my age, but when I was younger, I'd have far preferred the new coat and new car to having kids. I still feel the same way now.

I'm an introvert and I need time to myself.

I won't wade into the feminazi thing because that's not a term I ever use, but I have no problem with any of your choices except the support of Planned Parenthood, and that's a different discussion. (Margaret Sanger's son was our family doctor and used to make house calls when little Troglodyte74 had a fever!) I am very similar to you and decided at the age of 12 I would never have kids. I am simply too much of an introvert (when I read Thoreau, I think "Am I the reincarnation of this guy?") and have too many interests of my own to want kids. Golf and motorcycles are two very expensive hobbies, just for starters. (I used to keep a photo of 5-year-old Little Me on my desk at work and tell anyone who asked that he was my Inner Child and took up a great deal of my time.) Anyway, my comments are not really addressed at individuals, you or anyone else. Of course we are all different and have to make our own lifestyle decisions. I'm talking about societal trends, which I believe are in the wrong direction and have been for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:47 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Some old comments to help understand where the thought process comes from

Historical context of marrying young
Princeton alumna tells young women to "find a husband on campus"

The sexism component
The New Sexism

Some men's viewpoints toward certain female segment of society
Understanding the Psychology Behind men who would NEVER date a single mother!

Why women have more complicated choices
News, Why women still need husbands

Cultural evolutionary outlook
Traditional marriage: love or a system of barter to acquire wealth, heirs and workers?

Overall, the rapidness of cultural social evolution coupled with a desire on part of social programming controlling elements - mass media - have made gender relations more difficult because it makes people more easy to control and sell something to based on insecurities. Long ago enemies of other peoples realized the best way to conquer others was to destroy the centers of knowledge, kill the smart ones who could recognize what was being done to them, and subjugate them by destroying the basic unit of society (nuclear family). Now you may not need it to be as prevalent in high tech future world but much like any social construct, there needs to be a foundation. Demography is destiny.

Slightly off topic but what is / has been happening IMHO is the elites desire to subjugate the individual to the ruling class (government and their controllers) under the guise of personal freedom and white noise overload of meaningless choice - consumerism. You will notice the absence of healthy constructive views toward human understanding, sex, parenting, political view points - good luck getting any 'choice' in that realm - and instead a consistent mocking bashing of the healthy, glorification and amplified extreme rhetoric and greater programming to jingoistic flash point issues.

It is one component of farming the general population. Sow dissent and discord and never let 'the people' know what and how the system operates, just keep harvesting and culling as desired.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
what do you mean fight to have control over your own body? just curious
Who has the decision to carry a fetus to term, such as, for example, in the case of the morning after pill.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 AM

186 posts, read 131,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Who has the decision to carry a fetus to term, such as, for example, in the case of the morning after pill.
Thank you. I could agree with you if it was a situation of rape like Jaycee Lee Dugard for example...which is what came to mind when I first read it. That makes perfect sense.Otherwise we obviously have total control over our bodies regarding making babies.

We can choose to do that which creates a life -ORr- we can choose not to

I choose not to create a life at my age

I cannot comment on the morning after pill because I've not studied it.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I could agree with you if it was a situation of rape like Jaycee Lee Dugard for example...which is what came to mind when I first read it. That makes perfect sense.Otherwise we obviously have total control over our bodies regarding making babies.

We can choose to do that which creates a life -ORr- we can choose not to

I choose not to create a life at my age

I cannot comment on the morning after pill because I've not studied it.
I just gave a simple example to answer your question......because the basic answer is a MAELSTROM (and that's putting it mildly)!

I wish I had my copy of outstanding USSC cases handy (but it is deeply packed somewhere). In it, there's an opinion by Sandra O'Connor about a case about birth control. Her opinion notes (as I recall since it has been about a decade or more since I read it) that birth control has determined for a generation or more how American women can live their lives outside the home and therefore, it should not be outlawed.

Okay, I think this is it:

"The sum of the precedential inquiry to this point shows Roe's underpinnings unweakened in any way affecting its central holding. While it has engendered disapproval, it has not been unworkable. An entire generation has come of age free to assume Roe's concept of liberty in defining the capacity of women to act in society, and to make reproductive decisions; no erosion of principle going to liberty or personal autonomy has left Roe's central holding a doctrinal remnant; Roe portends no developments at odds with other precedent for the analysis of personal liberty; and no changes of fact have rendered viability more or less appropriate as the point at which the balance of interests tips. Within the bounds of normal stare decisis analysis, then, and subject to the considerations on which it customarilyturns, the stronger argument is for affirming Roe's central holding, with whatever degree of personal reluctance any of us may have, not for overruling it."

(from Planned Parenthood of SE PA vs Casey (https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/91-744.ZO.html ))

It's quite an interesting read, especially for the topic currently under discussion.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
OK, you guys. Maybe we need some definitions here. If anyone doesn't like feminazis, please explain for us what exactly makes a woman a feminazi in your eyes. I'm not asking if you like or don't like her. I'm asking what, exactly, a woman does - and keep in mind we're talking about the majority of women you think are feminazis, not just the one or two you don't like - that brings out the anger.

Let me describe myself a bit and then you can decide if I'm a feminazi.

I'm independent beyond what a lot of people find comfortable. I do believe that although women in general can't do some jobs because of the physical strength required, there will be some women who can and those women should be able to have a crack at those jobs as well as receive the same amount of pay her male coworkers do if she is capable of doing those jobs.

I don't think all women are cut out to be mothers, any more than all men are. When it comes to homemaking, I don't think the word "should" has any place in it. Each couple does what works for them.

I support Planned Parenthood. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I used to do astronomy and would go out to 'star parties' where people with telescopes gathered overnight looking at the sky. With one or two exceptions, I was the only women there in among a bunch of other male stargazers. One of my boyfriends couldn't handle that. I gave him up and kept the telescope.

In a relationship or a partnership, I support the other person and don't run him down in front of other people. Support doesn't mean I work all day and am the only person doing the dishes, the laundry, or cutting the grass. I expect a little help with household chores if we both work and if I got the offer of a wonderful job 1000 miles away, I'd at least expect my other to consider moving so I could take it.

On a personal level, I like working because I grew up with a father who constantly told me that because he paid for everything I had, he could take it away whenever he wanted to. That was the defining force for me in not wanting to be dependent on someone else. Internal garbage, I'm sure, but there it is. I want to know if I go out and spend $200 on an eyepiece with my own money (provided the bills are paid up), I'm not going to hear from my partner about how I'm wasting his paycheck.

By the same token, if my partner wanted to run a model railroad around the walls of the living room, I might consider that.

I won't be raising kids at my age, but when I was younger, I'd have far preferred the new coat and new car to having kids. I still feel the same way now.

I'm an introvert and I need time to myself.

I can make my own decisions. I will listen to someone who wants to give me advice. I won't listen to anyone who tells me I need to do this or I have to do that because he said so. I left home to get away from a father figure and I don't need another one.

OK - I have been called a feminazi more times than I can count. Are these the things that make a woman a feminazi?
Sounds fine. The one exception is you get to buy the eyepiece but you have to consider the train. If you get to spend on what you want so should he. Other than that you sound like many women I know. I am a white male in my 60's.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
...........OK - I have been called a feminazi more times than I can count. Are these the things that make a woman a feminazi?
They never called me that!...............................

............................................... just Hitler.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 AM

190 posts, read 167,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Well, I will wade into these waters and doubtlessly emerge covered with mud. I believe that the nuclear family is God's plan for humanity. I do not believe that a woman fulfilling the role of wife, mother and homemaker is or should be considered demeaning at all. I happen to be a licensed professional (lawyer) whose career theoretically should be glamorous and fulfilling, but I have said to both of my wives (I lost my first to breast cancer after 33 years) a thousand times how much I envied their freedom, the actual importance of the work they did, and their ability to structure their days pretty much as they wished. I would always look at the women in my offices and think "How could this paper-shuffling silliness possibly be more fulfilling and rewarding than being a full-time wife, mother and homemaker? Indeed, how could it be fulfilling and rewarding at all? What bizarre and delusional philosophy have you bought into?" My current wife worked many years as a social worker because she had no other choice in the USSR, but she is so thankful to now have a normal home life.

If a man and woman want to have a nuclear family with the man fulfilling the typical female role - fine, go for it. But I am firmly in the camp that believes the collapse of the nuclear family is the road to Hell and we are already many miles down it. So celebrate your newfound strength and independence, ladies. Enjoy those "rewarding and fulfilling" careers away from home. Be just like men in every way. You are actually losing what you think you are gaining and are destroying society in the process.
User name checks out

Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
what do you mean fight to have control over your own body? just curious

I'm talking about the right to have a legal abortion if she chooses to do so. And I am also talking about Planned Parenthood. Because they will preform abortions-even if it is just a small fraction of what they do, many are trying to force them to close down which leaves many women without cancer screening, birth control and other health procedures. Many women do not have the luxury of going to a private doctor. They count on Planned Parenthood for most of their health care.

Cat

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
No, this isn't about relationships.

The other day I was reading the comments on a news story and one man there commented that women should stay home and take care of the children. It gave me a pause, especially as I realized that this was from a younger man, perhaps 30 years old.

I've seen a lot of posters here calling women feminazis and saying men can't find a good girlfriend in certain cities because of all the "independent" women out there. I also have seen posts that stop just short of saying women should be second class citizens and depend on men to take care of them. And trust me, there's no lack of women to back them up.

I'm just curious to know where this attitude comes from, women as well as men. I realize a lot of men are bitter about former wives and girlfriends, but somehow I feel the issue is deeper than this. So does it come from the way a person is raised, or is it because a person is angry and wants a target or is it a religious thing? Just what is it about independent women that make others feel so threatened, if that's the case?

Where and why do people have this attitude that women should not be able to have a life outside the home?

I'm really interested in seeing your responses.

I think at it's root many men feel threatened by independent women. If a woman is earning her own money, she has the means to leave whenever she wants.

I have a sister who is trapped in a marriage to an attorney. He makes all the money and she can't afford to support herself. That's probably exactly how he wants it. He literally snaps his fingers and she brings him a beer.

I make slightly more money than my husband and we have a mutual respect. It's been that way for 20 years now. We raised two happy, healthy boys and our nuclear family is doing just fine thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy