Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,107,258 times

Advertisements

Test yourself for Free Will.

The debate as to our free will is more widespread than most realize. It is also stalled without a definitive answer, because no one has come out with a definitive test.

From my point of view free will cannot be given, it is something that must be taken.

If someone has free will then they are in a position to give it up.
If a someone does not have free will, they cannot.

To prove that you have free will, all you would need do is give it up to someone else’s will for no other reason other than you chose to.

If you agree with the reasoning and think the process here sound, then I invite you to give up your free will to mine, by simply replying to this thread with a brief response.

You will begin your response with the letter Y, if you recognize that you have free will.

Your appropriate response will prove that you have a free will.

Is this a definitive test for free will?

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,582,830 times
My free will is to give up this ridiculous thread back to you.

Have a blessed day.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM

809 posts, read 1,863,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
my free will is to give up this ridiculous thread back to you.

Have a blessed day.

+1...lol

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Test yourself for Free Will.

The debate as to our free will is more widespread than most realize. It is also stalled without a definitive answer, because no one has come out with a definitive test.

From my point of view free will cannot be given, it is something that must be taken.

If someone has free will then they are in a position to give it up.
If a someone does not have free will, they cannot.

To prove that you have free will, all you would need do is give it up to someone else’s will for no other reason other than you chose to.

If you agree with the reasoning and think the process here sound, then I invite you to give up your free will to mine, by simply replying to this thread with a brief response.

You will begin your response with the letter Y, if you recognize that you have free will.

Your appropriate response will prove that you have a free will.

Is this a definitive test for free will?

Regards
DL

I cannot begin a reply with either Y or N because I both have free will and do not have it.

As an analogy, am I solid? Well of course I am, if a truck runs into me, I'll find that out soon enough.

And yet science has shown that I am made up of molecules and molecules are made of atoms and atoms are as near nothing as makes no difference. So, actually, my solidity is an illusion. But it is a very convincing one.

Similarly, my free will - my ability to make decisions - is actually based on parameters. It has even been shown that a mind will make a decision before we are even conscious of it. So in a way we have the appearance of free will, but it is an illusion. But it is a very convincing one.

So what? Well, it means that we are just a mass of atoms and we don't decide anything 'freely'. But it doesn't matter. The illusion works well enough that we can function with the realities in the mental back drawer as it were.

So what about the poster's offer...?

It's nonsense. One might as well talk of giving up their liking for chocolate to someone else. It is not a thing someone can give away like a CD collection. Neither can it be taken away. My actions can be constrained either by others' coercion or by natural circumstances, but that has nothing to do with my apparent free will decision. OP premise is unsound.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-19-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,107,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I cannot begin a reply with either Y or N because I both have free will and do not have it.

As an analogy, am I solid? Well of course I am, if a truck runs into me, I'll find that out soon enough.

And yet science has shown that I am made up of molecules and molecules are made of atoms and atoms are as near nothing as makes no difference. So, actually, my solidity is an illusion. But it is a very convincing one.

Similarly, my free will - my ability to make decisions - is actually based on parameters. It has even been shown that a mind will make a decision before we are even conscious of it. So in a way we have the appearance of free will, but it is an illusion. But it is a very convincing one.

So what? Well, it means that we are just a mass of atoms and we don't decide anything 'freely'. But it doesn't matter. The illusion works well enough that we can function with the realities in the mental back drawer as it were.

So what about the poster's offer...?

It's nonsense. One might as well talk of giving up their liking for chocolate to someone else. It is not a thing someone can give away like a CD collection. Neither can it be taken away. My actions can be constrained either by others' coercion or by natural circumstances, but that has nothing to do with my apparent free will decision. OP premise is unsound.
That is because you do not believe that we are here to make any decisions.

We are just illusions.

I placed no constraint in the O P.

Regards
DL

Old 03-22-2016, 03:56 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am
I dunno if there is FREE WILL!!!!

How can a psychic see things IN THE FUTURE if it hasnt been written yet?? (We are just pawns going thru the time continum)

Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM

19,081 posts, read 27,661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dunno if there is FREE WILL!!!!

How can a psychic see things IN THE FUTURE if it hasnt been written yet?? (We are just pawns going thru the time continum)
I really do not want this to be seen as response to OP. This is response to the post quoted.

There is free will. It is available to anyone. As far as one is thinking, one may make a decision, should it even be a mental one. There is a great story on this, Star Rover by Jack London. Worth reading.

Future is written. It is called destiny. Also known as karma, kismet, fate and so on. In every culture there had always been some sort or understanding of pre-destination of things to come. Every human creates its own destiny. Every human has free will choice WITHIN that destiny. This is reason for human existence on Earth - to work out its destiny. As soon as it is resolved, and no more destiny is created, human progresses, ascends.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,443,436 times
Responding to your test is no more a test of free will than is anything else we do in life. If there is free will, we exercise it all day every day. If there isn't, than we see ourselves as making choices when in actuality we are fulfilling what we were destined to do. How is responding to your post any different than the other things we do all day?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 AM

652 posts, read 875,190 times
Respiration is an involuntary response. A species heartbeat is an involuntary response. Does that not end your freewill experience and argument?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,220 times
I'm exercising my free will by leaving this thread to others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy