Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,473 times

Advertisements

So we are going to relocate to Phoenix/Tempe area with in the next month. i have been searching on craigslist daily for places to rent. We are looking for a home/condo/townhome in Tempe or within 10mins outside of Tempe.We have 2 small children and our 3rd one due in November and we are really looking for a Great family friendly neighborhood or area to raise the kids in. I've found tons of homes for rent but, know nothing about the area what so ever. I feel lost. We are headed out to Tempe this weekend to drive around and check out neighborhoods and see what we kind find. What i am looking for is advice of areas not to rent (bad areas,gang activity areas)
We are looking to spend no more then $1200 a month in rent. Any advice will help.
How is Southern/21st street in south phoenix? We found a very nice condo in that area but, have no idea if is is a horrible neighborhood or if it is a great neighborhood to raise kids.

How about Tempe is it true that the whole town is a huge party town? We are not the partying type.

What about Chandler or Mesa even Scottsdale?
Does Scottsdale have bad parts too it that we should stay away from?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooedmama View Post
So we are going to relocate to Phoenix/Tempe area with in the next month. i have been searching on craigslist daily for places to rent. We are looking for a home/condo/townhome in Tempe or within 10mins outside of Tempe.We have 2 small children and our 3rd one due in November and we are really looking for a Great family friendly neighborhood or area to raise the kids in. I've found tons of homes for rent but, know nothing about the area what so ever. I feel lost. We are headed out to Tempe this weekend to drive around and check out neighborhoods and see what we kind find. What i am looking for is advice of areas not to rent (bad areas,gang activity areas)
We are looking to spend no more then $1200 a month in rent. Any advice will help.
How is Southern/21st street in south phoenix? We found a very nice condo in that area but, have no idea if is is a horrible neighborhood or if it is a great neighborhood to raise kids.

How about Tempe is it true that the whole town is a huge party town? We are not the partying type.

What about Chandler or Mesa even Scottsdale?
Thanks in advance.
Southern and 21st Street is a terrible area. All of Tempe is not a party town. South Tempe is nicer and quieter, but also more expensive. West Chandler and South Scottsdale are not too far away. South Scottsdale is a little older and less family oriented than Chandler. Also consider some of the Dobson Ranch area of Mesa, or some of the areas of North Chandler. Avoid South/Southeast Phoenix, North Tempe around the campus, West Mesa North of US 60 and downtown Chandler around Arizona Avenue and Chandler Boulevard. Anywhere else you should be OK.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,204,955 times
Asufan gave some excellent advice, give 'em a rep.

One thing to keep in mind if you are working on Mill Ave is that if you find housing somewhere along the light rail line in either direction it could things easy for you. I can't really think of too much family-type housing but there is new stuff springing up all the time.

For $1200 I think you'll be pleased at what you can find within reasonable commute of downtown Tempe. Poster mentioned North Chandler I think that's an excellent idea, there are so many nice neighborhoods with good schools in the areas around Kyrene to Price, from Ray to Chandler that would still keep you within 15 minutes of Mill.

Good luck, and welcome to Phoenix.

Last edited by slackjaw; 06-22-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,767,697 times
21st ST and Southern is the ghetto steer clear of it. check out the area near Mill and Southern this is the area I live in and its far enough removed from campus life. Plus its not as expensive as North Tempe. Also a little further south on Mill look at Mill and Alemada. You can also go as far east as McClintock and Southern.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
21st ST and Southern is the ghetto steer clear of it. check out the area near Mill and Southern this is the area I live in and its far enough removed from campus life. Plus its not as expensive as North Tempe. Also a little further south on Mill look at Mill and Alemada. You can also go as far east as McClintock and Southern.
I agree with this. You can get away from the immediate University area and into good neighborhoods with reasonable prices, without going all the way into the somewhat more expensive area in "south Tempe" (south of Baseline) You could actually go east all the way to Price Rd/Hwy 101, and west to Kyrene Rd, at least. It's good that you are coming out to drive around, you will get the feel of the city much better.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,473 times
Wow.Thank you all so much for your imput.
I am new to this site so I am not sure what give a rep means but, i am sure i will figure it out..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Where on Mill Avenue will you be working?

The only thing I know about places to live in Tempe is there are lots of choices that would probably be really close to your job, condos, apartments, and some row houses nearby.

The only issue is is northern Tempe attracts more of the party crowd and younger college crowd than I think you would like.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM

725 posts, read 2,323,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooedmama View Post
Not a good section!!!!!!!!

Can't really say it's Ghetto but it's not an ideal location.

Quote:
Downtown Tempe - Mill ave. district is, but S. Tempe is true Suburb that is more fit for Families.

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
They say S. Scottsdale is a bad area - probably is for Scottsdale terms - but it's really not that horrible. It's more working-class than the other sections of Scottsdale!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,767,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Not a good section!!!!!!!!

Can't really say it's Ghetto but it's not an ideal location.
Lol you are funny not ghetto if you say that you know nothing about the area.
I grew with so many people that lived in South Phoenix and a lot of them were killed in gang violence. Hell even one of my sisters friends was killed a month ago in that area. My cousin lived in the houses @ 22nd St and Southern and @ night the gangs would walk down the street with AK's and the police never did anything. hell the house on the corner near him had a triple murder(drug related). So don't lie to these people and say its a good area cuz it isn't. All those stupid people who bought their nice little house on Baseline who live behind gates will someday regret that. I drive thru there for work and this morning I stop at the circle K @ 24th/Southern and there was a crackhead wandering around. The workers had to throw her out cuz she was walking in a daze.

Hell homlish you love to post pics. Why don't you post pics of the boarded up house, the crack houses

Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM

725 posts, read 2,323,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Lol you are funny not ghetto if you say that you know nothing about the area.
I grew with so many people that lived in South Phoenix and a lot of them were killed in gang violence. Hell even one of my sisters friends was killed a month ago in that area. My cousin lived in the houses @ 22nd St and Southern and @ night the gangs would walk down the street with AK's and the police never did anything. hell the house on the corner near him had a triple murder(drug related). So don't lie to these people and say its a good area cuz it isn't. All those stupid people who bought their nice little house on Baseline who live behind gates will someday regret that. I drive thru there for work and this morning I stop at the circle K @ 24th/Southern and there was a crackhead wandering around. The workers had to throw her out cuz she was walking in a daze.
I said it's not a good area but there are other sections just as bad or worse!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hell homlish you love to post pics. Why don't you post pics of the boarded up house, the crack houses
I guess because I'm not a Debbie Downer type; and I prefer posting more positive images of Phx.

People come to this Forum to look for places to live and to see the better sides of the City. I don't think most of them want to see images of Crack houses and gangs!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area