Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

So, Dish decided to drop several channels including a couple that i specifically had to move up a tier to get. There was no warning from Dish and more may/probably follow as of next month in which we'll no longer get any local sports,NFL etc.
We're a couple of months over a year in a 2 year agreement. Any suggestions? As far as I'm concerned THEY violated our agreement, I'm done with them but don't want to be on the hook for an early termination fee.
Ideas??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I'm sorry to say this but I believe in that contract you signed is their right to do just what they did with no recourse from you. They all usually say that in the contract to protect themselves, they aren't usually interested in protecting you. You would probably be able to get out of the contract if you pay some kind of early termination fee, if you are lucky, but maybe not. Don't have dish, but that sucks, and I have experienced similar things with other such companies. Had to wait it out and then split.
Good luck, maybe a dish owner will pipe in, hope I'm wrong in this case.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Yep, couldn't watch Sons of Anarchy last night, wasn't all too happy about it either. If an agreement isn't reached by November 1st, all the Fox channels on your satellite dish will be gone, which means if you're a raging liberal then no more FoxNews for you.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
Quote:
"Yep, couldn't watch Sons of Anarchy last night, wasn't all too happy about it either."
Yes, I will have to catch up on the adventures of SAMCRO on my cousin's cable this weekend.

This has been going on for several days nationwide, and will probably reach a negotiated settlement at some point. A similar thing happened a few years ago with Comedy Central and other VIACOM channels. I am not on a contract, but will stick with Dish for a bit. There is an explanation running on channel 415 with some "free" alternatives.

Programming changes are probably covered in the contract.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Yep, couldn't watch Sons of Anarchy last night, wasn't all too happy about it either.
WTH!? I just checked my DVR, and sure enough, no SAMCRO from last night. You've GOT to be kidding me!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Here's what I would do:

1. Call DISH, and ask what your early termination fee is if you canceled today.
2. Call DirecTV and tell them, "I would love to go with DirecTV. but I have an early termination fee with dish for "$XXX", so I'm not sure if it's worth it, what can you do for me?"

I negotiate all the time with DirecTV. I got the $300+ NFL Sunday Ticket subscription for $129 in 2009 and $189 this season. They like to wheel and deal. Right now they pay a new subscriber $100, plus a referring subscriber $100 for signing up, plus other freebies, I think. If they are willing to pay that much for new subscribers, I imagine a deal could be struck where you end uo with all the channels you want from DirecTV, and maybe even save a few bucks.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
which means if you're a raging liberal then no more FoxNews for you.
FoxNews leans much more conservatively than it does liberal...Never heard of a "raging liberal" being too upset with not being able to watch FoxNews.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
FoxNews leans much more conservatively than it does liberal...Never heard of a "raging liberal" being too upset with not being able to watch FoxNews.
I'm sure juram was just using a bit of irony.....

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Yeah my brothers have DISH. They lost FX and FSN. No local sports and no awesome Motorcycle shows. They'll have to wait 8 days and watch SAMCRO on Hulu.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Another reason to get Cable! Unless you are interested in the NFL's Sunday ticket, it's simply not worth getting satellite. I have both and my satellite lost service yesterday with the weather and that's happened 4-5 times this summer already. I only have DirecTV in addition to Cox for the NFL. That's it. I refuse to give up my Cox cable service which is the most reliable and efficient service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: