Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 59,339 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a job on Mon commuting from Surprise to S. Scottsdale (Scottsdale Rd. and Macdowell.) Can anyone recommend the fastest route for the rush hour? I know I can take the 10E-202E, and that takes me about 45 minutes in no traffic. I can also take the 101 to Macdowell, and that takes a little over an hour in no traffic. My friend recommended I take Happy Valley Rd. to Lake Pleasant Rd. to the 17 to the 101. He said that it's more miles, but taking the back roads will get me there faster. Can anyone recommend the fastest route for the rush hour?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
I would start looking for a new place to live....taking the 101 until you move. I would stay away from the 17 and the 10 like the plague. Depending on what part of Surprise you're in, plan on giving yourself 2hrs. I'm guessing it will only take 90min.. You can always stop and have a coffee if you're early.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I would start looking for a new place to live....taking the 101 until you move. I would stay away from the 17 and the 10 like the plague. Depending on what part of Surprise you're in, plan on giving yourself 2hrs. I'm guessing it will only take 90min.. You can always stop and have a coffee if you're early.
I have to agree. This will be a killer commute that you will tire of very quickly. The 101 is the better option, but it will slow down quite a bit on the way west in the evening, I suspect. If you have the option to work flexible hours, that would help keep you off the road during peak traffic.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM

203 posts, read 491,446 times
yeah, that was a pretty poor choice of area to live in. You might as well quit work.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
yeah, that was a pretty poor choice of area to live in. You might as well quit work.
Well, if the OP had found a job closer to Surprise, it would not have been a bad thing. The living situation came before the job, and jobs aren't easy to find these days.

To the OP-- perhaps books on tape will help you pass the time. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM

As much as I appreciate the advice I asked on the best route to take, I could really do without the negativity about the commute I'm about to embark on. I don't need to explain to any of you why I took this job and accepted the location I did. I know what I'm dealing with -- I don't need any of you to tell me I "made a poor choice of places to live" or that "I should just move now." I am fortunate enough to have a job - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the optimism, Observer. :-) I'm really looking forward to the new job!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 PM

You're right, finding a job is the most important thing, there are people doing longer commutes. The reality is, though, that the length of the drive is likely to wear on you. If the opportunity for flexible hours presents itself, that will help some. I'm not familiar with the Happy Valley/Lake Pleasant part of your friend's option. That small stretch of the 17 down to the 101 shouldn't be too bad. I think the 101 is a better option than the 10/202; I've driven both for one reason or the other during rush hour heading somewhere, and the 101, with a few heavier spots, seemed better to me.

Best of luck with the new job. Hope it works out!

EDIT: We were posting at the same time. You're welcome. New jobs are exciting!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I've had to visit clients around that general area ..... rush hour from goodyear on the estrella exit can frequently run about an hour if I get there at 9am ........ add on what it would take for you to get the 303 and I-10 and that may help out a little

not sure if any options are going to get you much more or much less than 90 minutes though .... i'd try them all out and see which one is more palatable

sometimes I run I-10 to cover the W-E portion of my commute between 101 & 17 ...... sometimes I run surface ..... surface is more consistent, but recently the freeway has been getting me in a little quicker

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind35 View Post
As much as I appreciate the advice I asked on the best route to take, I could really do without the negativity about the commute I'm about to embark on. I don't need to explain to any of you why I took this job and accepted the location I did. I know what I'm dealing with -- I don't need any of you to tell me I "made a poor choice of places to live" or that "I should just move now." I am fortunate enough to have a job - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
My sister-in-law lives near where you're working. She has a nice pool and all that jazz. You know why we never visit her? It's because it takes us 45min. from Arrowhead on a Sunday afternoon. I've had to drive there during morning rush on a few occasions and it has taken me over an hour(Surprise is 30min+ from me). Good luck in you endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area