Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM

134 posts, read 514,523 times

Advertisements

Apart from the State Fair, sounds like another good event and food prices seems reasonable and so tempting/yummy. (click the "Greek foods and pastries" to see "a sample menu from the 2009 Festival so you can fully plan your day and adequately prepare your taste buds.")
Admission $2 - it is a donation (free for children under 12, Free Admission with Military or Student ID)

Northwest Valley - 7950 W. Pinnacle Peak Road, Peoria AZ 85383 (close to 101)

TASTE OF GREECE
Food & Dance Festival
October 22, 23 and 24, 2010 (Hours are 5-10 p.m. Oct. 22, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Oct. 23 and noon-8 p.m. Oct. 24)
Three days of Greek folk dancing and live music, plus the best Greek foods and pastries prepared daily by our Greek Chefs
Taste of Greece - Food & Dance Festival

PS: No greek heritage or association with this event whatever. But with the nice weather, think that it is good place to check out.

Any reviews - good or bad?

Last edited by landbox; 10-22-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I've been to Greek festivals in several cities, including Pittsburgh where there are four huge ones every year (each at a different Greek Orthodox church). I've never been to one where the food wasn't fabulous and the atmosphere friendly and fun. Take your friends. People knock themselves out to put these shindigs on.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 AM

56 posts, read 153,078 times
If you can't make it to the festival, Bacchanal Restaurant in Phoenix is always great for their entertainment & food.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
We went last year and it was a lot of fun! It felt like my friends and I were the only non-Greeks there but we never felt out of place or anything like that. The food was awesome! They had some vendors and performances. It's not a grand festival by any means but it is a nice evening out.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM

294 posts, read 989,673 times
What's a good local Greek restaurant? we tried greekfest last time we were in town and we weren't huge fans and to tell you the truth we liked my big fat greek retaurant as much if not better.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:53 PM

271 posts, read 839,349 times
My current favorite is reasonably new - Athena Greek Cuisine in Scottdsale. Haven't had any of the main dishes as we like to sit at the bar, drink Greek wine, and graze on mezedes, but so far have really enjoyed it. Happy Hour is 2-6 pm; half off all liquor/wine/cocktails, and about 6-7 discounted small plates.

Some favorites: Marides (fried boneless smelts with skordalia), htipiti (spicy feta), loukaniko (Greek sausage), taramasalata (carp roe/tarama), kalamari tiganito (fried calamari), and melitzanosalata (eggplant). On the last visit, a girlfriend and I shared the Pikilia Plaka - a sampler platter of oktapodi xantho (marinated octopus salad), tzatziki, patzaria (beets), feta, and one of my favorites, gigandes/gigantes (baked Greek giant butter beans). They also have a great gyro, and for dessert, we like the karythopita and galaktoboureko.

It's on Mayo Blvd, in a building that was previously Abuelo's.
I posted some pics here:
Athena Greek Cuisine - Phoenix Restaurants & Bars - CHOW

Last edited by Rubee; 10-26-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It felt like my friends and I were the only non-Greeks there...
Went and am Greek, and I was just thinking that the place on Saturday looked loaded with non-Greeks...pretty funny...shows how it's all in your personal perspective.
Anyway, the Saint Haralambros Greek Fest (Taste of Greece) was excellent. The food was surprisingly low cost I thought considering Houston's very, very popular Greek fest is twice the price. The food was super fresh, good and normal serving size, so I was happy eating for sure.
Entertainment, tours of the church, vendors selling things and lots of friendly people. This one is worth your time so go next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area