Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times

Advertisements

Plus, there is a large amount of activity you can do in the winter. Ski, snow forts, sledding, cross country skiing, snowmobile, ice fishing, all kinds of stuff. What can you do when it's 116? Well, according to the warnings, nothing! You can go swimming, but by then your pool is so warm it feels like a big bath tub. Yes, you can drive up to flagstaff, but not everyday.
What I am sick of is extremes so I wouldn't go in the opposite direction, (i.e. great lake states) even people in Massachusetts think thats cold! And the south, no thanks, not because of the weather either. I grew up here since my parents moved here when I was young, this was the perfect state for them since my father was handicapped and was a professor of Southwest history. He landed a job at ASU, and that was it. He wrote 10 books, highly quoted in the AZ republic and other publications in the Southwest! I can honestly say I know so much about this place, historic and present that I could be on a quiz show. I like a lot of AZ. But PHX has gone to hell in a hand basket and the leaders of this state can't get a handle on it! Publicizing our great winters in hopes of relocating more people hear when we can't even get the pollution problems under control is ignorance!
Among other things, which would make my post to long. But, if your going to tell me I should be great full for summers that are hazardous for your health, then please, read my other posts! And I won't be taking your advice if you have a piece of land your trying to sell me?lol I won't argue our so called "winter" weather is nice, it's our spring, it's nice to have one but winter? Where did it go, I haven't seen one since I moved hear from Mass! They took our winter up to Flagstaff and put a high price tag on it. The American way, and you thought you were in Mexico. Things suck everywhere, I'm just the expert on things that suck here! So get off my back! I'm not in a weather contest, but if I was, I'd win. So, go eat some fish tacos, oh, that's right, this isn't California. Then go have some Taco bell. Unless you like desert fish, ewh, sushi in AZ, now doesn't that top the list. he he he he he !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing like some good sushi in a strip mall on a 118 degree day in the middle of the desert. Don't eat sushi in AZ, that's like having McDonalds in Italy! Really stupid! lol

Last edited by twiggy; 07-22-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Usually 0 degree temperatures come with a sunny sky (Unless you live in Siberia, or central Canada)

When temperatures are pushed that low, they are pushed by a high pressure system. A what do high pressure systems bring? You guessed it! Sunny weather.
When it is below 33 degrees (freeze-point)...who cares about the Sun since it doesn't really warm up the air? Further more, i have seen that weather, it is usually gloomy more than sunny.

Quote:
Anyway. Theres nothing like waking up to a nice, fresh, brisk morning. Inhaling through your nostrils, and sucking in that crisp air. Also, when it's cold, you could stay outside all day (if you're willing). I'd like to see someone do that in the Desert!

...end up with a tag around your big toe
Again another debatable subject, it is all relevant to each person tolerance level, some like it cold some like it hot (salute to the ultimate blonde)!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:23 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Anyway. Theres nothing like waking up to a nice, fresh, brisk morning. Inhaling through your nostrils, and sucking in that crisp air. Also, when it's cold, you could stay outside all day (if you're willing). I'd like to see someone do that in the Desert!

...end up with a tag around your big toe
Oh boy - I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. Unless by "crisp" you mean 50 or 60 degrees The winter air in places like Chicago, Boston, Portland, ME and even as far south as DC is harsh! It's like sucking ice water into your lungs....takes my breath away. In each of those cities, I've had ice crystals on my eyelashes from my eyes watering and the drops freezing. There's no "staying outside all day" in weather like that. Talk about ending up with a toe tag.

I think it's funny how people (me included) argue on this board about which is more miserable - extreme heat or extreme cold. There's no right or wrong answer. The fact is, some people hate the heat and some hate the cold. I happen to prefer dealing with a few months of extreme heat over a few months of extreme cold. Many people feel the opposite. This is good b/c we'd have some serious overcrowding issues if everyone in the country wanted to live in the same place

Last edited by Boatdrinks; 07-22-2007 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-22-2007, 05:14 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
This is good b/c we'd have some serious overcrowding issues if everyone in the country wanted to live in the same place
Amen!!
Can you imagine how crowded this city would be if the Summer temperature didn't exceed...say 100 degress? Horrible!!! The population would've probably doubled if not more, housing prices would have continued to go up...along with crime and traffic,etc.
The cost of living in this city despite of lacking the Ocean would have been probably comparable to CA!!

I think God knew what he was doing when he created a different climate for different areas!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 PM

77 posts, read 229,954 times
Talking ahahaha twiggy you are so funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Don't forget me, I hate it here. Right now in the "boil of the sun" while the clouds swell up in front of me only to move past with out relief, I can honestly say, I hate AZ! I have lived here for 30 years and it never gets better.
Great place to visit and spectate over the weird landscape and barren dirt and rocks, like you would looking at the moon. But living here will slowly suck the life out of your body and you will not be able to free your self in time. Trying to convince yourself and others that you like it sounds like somebody trying to convince people aliens landed in your back yard! You really, really, can't believe it when they say the heat is dry and nice or that they don't mind the dust and pollution, the wonderful winters they say, like roasting that turkey on your grill, in sun glasses, is really the Thanksgiving
vibe your wife is going for. Forget chestnuts by a roasting fire, just throw them out on your patio.
Enough is enough, as much as I know about this place and I know more than you can ever imagine. It's time to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
P.S. My husband is so crazed from the heat he is in the back yard yelling to me while looking into the sky, "It's coming, it's coming, I think it might really rain tonight honey".
Well, we all know it's not really coming!!!!!!!!
It's going up to Prescott.
Help me, I'm melting.
reading this gave me a good laugh!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM

68 posts, read 254,131 times
Default boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Plus, there is a large amount of activity you can do in the winter. Ski, snow forts, sledding, cross country skiing, snowmobile, ice fishing, all kinds of stuff. What can you do when it's 116? Well, according to the warnings, nothing! You can go swimming, but by then your pool is so warm it feels like a big bath tub. Yes, you can drive up to flagstaff, but not everyday.
What I am sick of is extremes so I wouldn't go in the opposite direction, (i.e. great lake states) even people in Massachusetts think thats cold! And the south, no thanks, not because of the weather either. I grew up here since my parents moved here when I was young, this was the perfect state for them since my father was handicapped and was a professor of Southwest history. He landed a job at ASU, and that was it. He wrote 10 books, highly quoted in the AZ republic and other publications in the Southwest! I can honestly say I know so much about this place, historic and present that I could be on a quiz show. I like a lot of AZ. But PHX has gone to hell in a hand basket and the leaders of this state can't get a handle on it! Publicizing our great winters in hopes of relocating more people hear when we can't even get the pollution problems under control is ignorance!
Among other things, which would make my post to long. But, if your going to tell me I should be great full for summers that are hazardous for your health, then please, read my other posts! And I won't be taking your advice if you have a piece of land your trying to sell me?lol I won't argue our so called "winter" weather is nice, it's our spring, it's nice to have one but winter? Where did it go, I haven't seen one since I moved hear from Mass! They took our winter up to Flagstaff and put a high price tag on it. The American way, and you thought you were in Mexico. Things suck everywhere, I'm just the expert on things that suck here! So get off my back! I'm not in a weather contest, but if I was, I'd win. So, go eat some fish tacos, oh, that's right, this isn't California. Then go have some Taco bell. Unless you like desert fish, ewh, sushi in AZ, now doesn't that top the list. he he he he he !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing like some good sushi in a strip mall on a 118 degree day in the middle of the desert. Don't eat sushi in AZ, that's like having McDonalds in Italy! Really stupid! lol
Hey twig, is it 116 today? It got to 84 today in Cottowood and for the next few day's the same. Your right though the sushi sucks in Arizona but the red snapper is good.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 PM

77 posts, read 229,954 times
Default No sushi

ugggh how do they even keep the stuff from spoiling in transport> yikes, raw fish consumed in 110 degrees. a combination I do not care for!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 AM

283 posts, read 990,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
When it is below 33 degrees (freeze-point)...who cares about the Sun since it doesn't really warm up the air? Further more, i have seen that weather, it is usually gloomy more than sunny.
You gotta get out of AZ more - 32 and bright sun is quite comfortable! Go skiing if you don't believe me, at 32 with bright sun I strip my top and catch rays at lunch.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 AM

283 posts, read 990,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
OThe winter air in places like Chicago, Boston, Portland, ME and even as far south as DC is harsh! It's like sucking ice water into your lungs....takes my breath away. In each of those cities, I've had ice crystals on my eyelashes from my eyes watering and the drops freezing. There's no "staying outside all day" in weather like that. Talk about ending up with a toe tag.
That is so not true.. People are out all day, every day it's not a big deal! One proper underlayer and you are fine.. You can't solve a heat issue like that - I'll take our winter ANY TIME over living in a moonscaped blast furnace like Phoenix..

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
That is so not true.. People are out all day, every day it's not a big deal! One proper underlayer and you are fine.. You can't solve a heat issue like that - I'll take our winter ANY TIME over living in a moonscaped blast furnace like Phoenix..
Amen. Dress for the winter and be fine. Strip for the summer and still be miserable. 32 and sunny is much more comfortable than 115 and sunny. Some might disagree, but I challenge them to spend a whole day outside doing strenous activities in both kinds of weather, and see which one is more comfortable. Ive been up on ski slopes in WI from early noon until 3 am the following morning, and been 100% AOK (minus a runny nose). But step outside in PHX in late June and after 2-3 hours, Im wiped, burned to a crisp, having minor heat exhaustion (even with drinking TONS of water), crabby and on the verge of death. LOL 115 is alot more extreme than 32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area