Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM

77 posts, read 229,954 times

Advertisements

like it here a year or so, then they really, really miss the Ocean, to dry for some of them. of course thats only the ones I have met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 PM

72 posts, read 234,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Chandler - I would stay in the kyrene school district. The school problems are slow growing. You can't see it. One day you realize your kids not prepared for the aims test. Do a lot of teaching on the side. Or there is always a virtual school.
WHAT!! Kyrene is not that good??? Seriously!!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
All I can tell you is that the curriculum is much tougher in California. They take teaching to the test serious in Cali.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have to write a report on a historical figure and give individual presentations to their entire grade? Edit to add that they had to dress the role as well.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have individual science projects in which they have to create a visual presentation and give a classroom presentation on the results of their experiments using the scientific method?

My daughters first grade class in California did.
most 1st graders are learning to write still, not every child in every first grade is writeing well at the same time, how did they all write reports on historical figures? did mom or dad write it up for them? I do not believe that they do all that completely independently, and if the parents are doing most the REAL work whats the point?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM

62 posts, read 266,929 times
^^Good point.

Similarly, I guarantee not all, if not most 1st grade classrooms in CA are not writing these presentations.

And does assigning 1st graders these reports make the educational system better? You can assign a bunch of stuff, and fail to teach. CA has its fair share of terrible public schools.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Been there done that

I have been through 1st grade with my child. It is true they really have high expectations for the kids and do give out home work assignments that are really above thier head, writeing work way before they can even spell much of anything, directions that read as a 5th or 6th grader will be following them to complete the work, my point is parents are highly involved in getting this work done, sitting with the child while they painfully write letter by letter and ask you how to spell almost every word, its stressful for the kid and not to fun for the parents to make the child go though this. and no it was just not my experience I made a point to ask other parents how they felt most were as frazzled as I. That is how I know all these california first graders are not writeing about historical figures alone! also I am in kyrene schools and they are in excelling standards.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehazaidi View Post
I totally agree! TOO many people too little resource
I just had to comment on this one.
(It was in agreement re: overcrowding and out of control growth in CA schools)

Granted my numbers are from a couple of years ago, if anyone has anything more recent I'd love to see it.
This from a Morrison Institute/ASU study: when you look at funding per pupil CA ranked 24th and AZ ranked 47th

As I said before; I do think there are good schools here, but a lot of that has to do with inolved parents and communities. (Thus why I suggested the OP research individual schools) No doubt if you took into account all the money raised by our PTO to supplement/expand programs at our school, our numbers would look much better. OTOH, there are schools within our district that I absolutely would NOT want my kids to attend.

As I'm sure is the case in CA, communities who can afford to are compensating for the lack of state funding. Of course that opens up a whole other topic for debate.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehazaidi View Post
WHAT!! Kyrene is not that good??? Seriously!!
Sorry, I think Kyrene is a better district than most but I don't know a lot of others personally either. Did you have a bad experience with the Kyrene district I should know about? I don't want to mislead anyone with the suggestion. Thx

Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

477 posts, read 1,583,585 times
I'm from Northen California where it is so beautiful! I miss the beauty of it everyday. Although I have gotten used to life out here, I am always look for a way to move. I hate the heat with a passion and with 3 young kids, we get very bored. There are just so many times in a week you can go to the community pool, ya know? I mainly miss having my friends and family around. I have found it hard to make good friends out here. I don't get it really. Im very outgoing, friendly, talkative. People just dont seem to want to make friends....

As far as my kids go, they like it here. They do well in school and since we moved when my oldest was in kindergarten, I don't really have anything to compare it to. I don't think the schools in my hometown are doing that well though. I am so far, pleased with my childrens education. We are in the Deer Vally school district.

All in all, I don't regret moving here because it is very affordable, but you take the good with the bad!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Sorry, I think Kyrene is a better district than most but I don't know a lot of others personally either. Did you have a bad experience with the Kyrene district I should know about? I don't want to mislead anyone with the suggestion. Thx
No, I was just shocked to hear on the BB that Kyrene is not that good, I am hoping that is not the case!.......I have been going all over the place on the net and find that Kyrene is good........I just moved here myself and want to give my kids the best I can and registered them in Kyrene Apprende and Kyrene Cielo.......

Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I'm from Northen California where it is so beautiful! I miss the beauty of it everyday. Although I have gotten used to life out here, I am always look for a way to move. I hate the heat with a passion and with 3 young kids, we get very bored. There are just so many times in a week you can go to the community pool, ya know? I mainly miss having my friends and family around. I have found it hard to make good friends out here. I don't get it really. Im very outgoing, friendly, talkative. People just dont seem to want to make friends....

As far as my kids go, they like it here. They do well in school and since we moved when my oldest was in kindergarten, I don't really have anything to compare it to. I don't think the schools in my hometown are doing that well though. I am so far, pleased with my childrens education. We are in the Deer Vally school district.

All in all, I don't regret moving here because it is very affordable, but you take the good with the bad!

I am going thru the same thing. I miss my family and friends there, but when I look at what I can give my kids here, it makes the blow better. Also, since my kids seem to like it here, that makes its all worth while.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area