Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 18,177 times

Advertisements

for the last two years I have been drawn to Arizona for some unknown reason. I have never even been to Arizona or anywhere close but I have a desire to live there. I am visiting on dec 16th to see what it's like. I'm so happy to hear some of these comments about people in the phoenix area being laid back. Being a young black man, the last concern I've had with wanting to move to az is the race issue but it sounds like its nothing more than I am used to. I usually get along with everyone I meet and I DO NOT prefer a large concentration of black people. Needless to say I love heat and I hate winter! Lol Do you guys know if there is a market for insurance? I am a licensed agent for medical, life, property, and casualty. And are there any good areas to rent until I get to know the neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Welcome! As far as areas to rent, you will want to determine where you will be working first. If you will be an office based insurance agent, come back and tell us where that office is located and we can make suggestions. If you will be a home based agent, give us an idea of your assigned territory.

As far as jobs in the insurance industry, I can provide just a little information. Firstly, I know several agents who derive a large part of their income from health insurance sales - all are looking into (or have started) other ventures. Secondly, USAA has a large complex in the NW valley. They are top notch - both as an employer AND as an insurance company. If I were in that industry, that's where I would be looking to work.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 11,269 times
I would recommend visiting during the summertime also. It's a whole different animal compared to december. We came out in june from metro detroit and things are much different here. People do seem to be friendly here but they tend to keep to themselves. That's great for me ...not so much for my wife and daughter though. We are giving it a full year and then we will make a final decision if were going to stay or go back home. And as bad as everything seems to be back in michigan, I personally lean on going back there. That might change after a full winter here.... GL

Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
I moved from the metro Detroit area 7 years ago and never even considered moving back.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan fan View Post
I would recommend visiting during the summertime also. It's a whole different animal compared to december. We came out in june from metro detroit and things are much different here. People do seem to be friendly here but they tend to keep to themselves. That's great for me ...not so much for my wife and daughter though. We are giving it a full year and then we will make a final decision if were going to stay or go back home. And as bad as everything seems to be back in michigan, I personally lean on going back there. That might change after a full winter here.... GL
Keep in mind the "keeping to themselves" issue is not an Arizona thing, it's a West Coast thing. I'm a native Californian and it's the same thing over there but to a larger degree. People are laid back and the "live and let live" attitude persists here so you won't find people making a contrived effort to bring a pie to your house and introduce themselves as your neighbors. If you ran into them at the mailbox, they would say hello but on the West Coast, it's very laid back and this is one of those laid back aspects to living here. Most people make friends through job and school not through neighbors on the West Coast so I would give it some time and I'm sure your wife and daughter will be fine.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 18,177 times
Thank you all so much for the responses. I can't wait to visit. Thanks especially for the insurance info. I'll report back after our fist visit!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,227 times
As a side light I think "people keeping to themselves" are due to being a transient community. Nowadays with foreclosures in Phoenix, and many rentals, people move around quite a lot. Myself, I work outside of Arizona and have done so for the most part since 2002. I "keep to myself" seemingly because I am hardly ever home to Arizona. And when I'm home, I sometimes find I have a new neighbor. I cannot be neighborly. Once when I talked with a neighbor and told him some facts about me, I was later burglarized by that same neighbor - he's been jailed because of that and is now paying restitution. So I only greet my neighbors these days and I don't tell them any business. As you can see from my description I also have the personality of being a quiet and private individual in real life. But I'm a loudmouth on the web. Any of you ever meet me in person you would never imagine I would be this City Data Phoenix blogger that you know!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Most of our friends are "native" Arizonans.

Imagine that.

They keep bringing us food.....

Salt of the earth.......

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 31,264 times
Someone is right to say that its very transient here. Ppl will ask about your business, then use it against you.

Because its so transient, expect to be a victim of crime. Its not a matter of if, but WHEN.

But on the bright side, Arizona is racially tolerant. All races live together. Something you WONT find happening in Michigan.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternsparkles View Post
Someone is right to say that its very transient here. Ppl will ask about your business, then use it against you.

Because its so transient, expect to be a victim of crime. Its not a matter of if, but WHEN.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but there's no factual basis for these statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area