Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,752 times

Advertisements

I originally lived at Desert Club. Got a new job that was supposed to be temp to perm in Mesa. Commute was not fun, so I moved to Mesa. The perm part didnt work out, so I got a new job...back up near Shea and Scottsdale lol. So back to the not fun commute. Distance isnt bad, its just that parking lot they call the 101 is awful. I was rear ended about 2 months ago on the way home...repairs took almost 6 weeks and the other drivers insurance took a $9700 ding. I decided after that to seriously explore moving back up.

So I am exploring all the apartments I didnt hit in that area back in 2007, and figured Id share what I found since this board is full of people looking for places.

Where I live now is Colonial Grand at Inverness Commons near Baseline and Higley. If it werent for that darn commute, I really like this place. Grounds are nice, 2 pools, one heated in winter, grill area. Very quiet. Unit is nice. Rent is something I havent even paid in about 20 years...$626 including free basic Cox cable. 1 br about 845 sf I think. A tad small for me, but I can deal with it. If I could telecommute and only have to go into the office occasionally like with my old job before the one in Mesa (by Fashion Square), Id stay here in a heartbeat. Id probably transfer to a 1 br with a den or a 2 br tho...which if memory serves, start at right around $710 or so. My lease is up May and they are offering renewal at $650.

So now I will detail the competition over my next couple weeks of looking. I am prepared for sticker shock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Paragon at Kierland is first on my list. Went here yesterday. I really liked this place. Right across the street from Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter. Could living that close to Sur la Table really be dangerous tho lol.

Gorgeous grounds, heated pool with gas grills, cabanas and fire pit. I looked at both the 1 and 2 br models. The 1 br is 1009 sf, large for a 1 br. Laundry room. Optional gas fireplace. Gas cooking. Full size washer dryer. The second br in the 2 br model had a strange shape, but would be cute for an office with daybed for guests. The 2 br was 1165 sf. Borders on the Westin Kierland golf course. Patios were ok but not large. Master bath had walkin shower, tub in the second bath.

I would move here in a heartbeat. The damages..... 1 br already has a waiting list at $995 before incentives ($940 after incentives). 2 br are available starting April (about 8 units opening up) at $1270 before incentives, $1150 after incentives). Rate is the same for 6 month and up lease.

And while I love dogs dont have one tho, this property is cats only. I dont care for cats, but I care less for dog owners who dont clean up after their pets.

This is my top choice for now. But not sure if Id wait on the 1 br...itd mean going month to month here which would be about $875. But the 2 br is a bit over where Id like to be on budget. My commute to work...about4 miles down Scottsdale Rd...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 AM

Legends at Kierland was next. This is just to the southwest of Kierland. Id put it on the list as ok but nothing really impressive. Definitely not the same caliber as Paragon. Looks a little tired I guess. The leasing office wasnt even an oohaah factor. Most luxury end apartments go all out on the leasing office, not this one. (Desert Club was really nice.)

I cannot believe this property only showed one model unit. It was a 1br, about 886 sf. The kitchen was smaller and only electric. The unit was weird tho...you had to enter the bath from the bedroom, there was no door off the hall. Not that I do that much entertaining but odd.

There are 2 pools, one heated, tennis court and like a volleyball pit. The pool area again adequate but nothing special.

The upside...the weird 1 br is available March 22 and on 15 month lease only $796. This is much more budget friendly. Commute to work again would be about 4 miles down Scottsdale.

Ill keep this on the list, because as much as I prefer Paragon so far, I need to contemplate the budget busting it would be. Also I would like to consider buying a home in a year or two, and could bank a few hundred bucks eztra towards that at lower rent each month

Legends isnt bad, great location. Just not imho not exactly a true luxury end apartment that could use a little oomph.

Last edited by ivanabacowboy; 02-27-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Traditions at Kierland was next. This is a sister property to Legends, right next door. Owned by the same company. The leasing agent at Legends told me they had some different floor plans that had hall entry to the bath and gas cooking.

When I arrived, the leasing agent was on the phone. I waited 15 minutes and she was still on the phone. Bad first impression. So I left. I may go back this week but not a good first impression.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Over the weekend checked out Crown Court, by the TPC course, sort of behind the Princess resort. Very nice leasing office, even a mini theater and onsite massages lol. Main pool area has a huge deck. Basketball and tennis courts. The pool doesnt have the fancy water feature thing going on, but it has water so what else do you really need lol.

I was hesitant on the way there. The property company has numerous apartments in the valley, and the few I have seen ranged from meh/ok to seriously outdated. So I didnt have high hopes. I was pleasantly surprised.

The 1 br with den, 1 3/4 bath is nearly 1200 sf. Large patio or balcony. Fireplace. And all of the kitchens and baths are being redone, so all new appliances and fixtures. Only con is a smallish kitchen size, tho it will work for one and is brand new. Prices of course vary depending on floor and view. They quoted $975 before incentives, $925 aftrr. Oh and stackable washer dryer rather than full size.

They also showed a 2 br with den about $1150 before incentives, nearly 1400 sf. More space than I need tho. And had this odd setup in the master where the hall to the bath is a vanity sink. Dont want to look at a sink from bed lol.

Commute to work about 6 miles. Only about 2 miles to Kierland, a mile if that to Promenade where Trader Joes is.

I still liked Paragon better, but since the 1 br has a waiting list, Crown Court is now my top runner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area