Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,323 times

Advertisements

Hey there I am 19 years old, looking to relocate out to South eastern area of Phoenix. I have been looking at the Mesa/Gilbert area. It may not seem like a realistic goal at the age of 19 but I have been saving money and by my projected move date i should have roughly 15k saved up. I figured it would be enough for an apartment etc. I havent started looking for a job yet there, not to sure how that all works out. I work for verizon wireless here in Columbus ohio, but I dont see a way to get transferred out there unfortunately. I plan on moving out there with my bestfriend of 15 years and shackin it up together and just making due. I have read alot about the area of Phoenix, I love the desert scenery the warm weather, I have never been out there before but we are planning a road trip this summer to come out to visit. I know it will be ungodly hot but im willing to stick it out. If you have any tips for me it would be awesome! I'm kinda young I know but I wanna make this work. I am not in college either, just a full time employee. I just feel like Ohio has nothing to really offer me anymore and I just get depressed here. I wanna swim and meet new people and start a new life! But any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,766,789 times
There is a huge verizon wireless call center in Chandler near 56th St and Chandler Blvd might be able to transfer. Anyway Gilbert is more a family area and Mesa is hit or miss with mostly miss. I wouldnt chose that area if I was young there is zero nightlife around. Might be better off near ASU South Scottsdale/North Tempe Area.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Yeah I havent looked into that area yet, I lived on Ohio state campus here in Columbus for about two years and I didn't really care for it all, because my vehicles were always getting broken into and my house actually twice and parking sucked it was just genreally an unclean area I live in the suburbs with my parents right now, and im looking for some night life but not alot. I like to go to concerts and play music, i havent gotten big into clubs but ill go to bars and shoot pool, unfortunately not 21 yet so I dont drink at any sort of bars or clubs but at home thats a different story haha. And my delimma with the job thing is I dont work for verizon per se. But a premium retailer of the company. I will most certainly look into that call center though! Any other advice would be awesome.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times
With no meaningful degree or specific job-skills, pay is low and jobs are scarce.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM

i mean i was getting by fine making 9.00 an hour, im not super picky

Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
With no meaningful degree or specific job-skills, pay is low and jobs are scarce.
It doesn't sound like the pay is of utmost concern. He wants out of that area so he can get a foothold and frankly, in this particular scenario, I'd say go for it.
At 19, you don't have much to lose unlike many of us older guys. I'm guessing he doesn't have a wife and family to worry about, no corporate standings, no home to sell, no home to buy for that matter. He wants to come to Arizona and start his life. If he starts that life with a low paying job, that's what people do to work up the ladder. A guy has to start someplace.
Go for it. In some ways I'm almost envious. You can do anything you want.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Lol yeah, I talked with my parents about it and my mom more specifically encouraged it if it wasn't for things tying them down I think they'd gladly move too. But your right the pay doesnt really bother me cause I dont have alot of bills, even when I was living on my own 2 years right out of highschool. I don't mind working full time. I do want to move out there and get a foothold and start my life out west. I seen the post they are going to be opening a solar power plant in mesa? Apparently opening up alot of jobs. Either way as long as I can make enough to get by (having my buddy as a roomate will help) then I can work my way up from there. I have just never moved across state or have had an opportunity to survey the areas. I wanna take a trip out there this summer, I was hoping to fly but im not old enough to rent a car, so im going to have to drive out there

and also to add to this, is there any websites i can look for jobs throw some resume's their way. If so any help is appreciated!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
I moved to Arizona at 19 with no job, no money, and a fresh college drop-out. My brother let me live with him for a month and during that time I was able to land a job at a bank. Fast forward 6 1/2 years, and I'm still at the same job and also bought a house. It can be done!

Definitely look into the Verizon call center job. They were hiring a few months back and I would think that because of the size of the staff, they'll be continuously hiring. Good luck!!

A good website to look for jobs here is www.jobing.com.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
I think it is a good idea - what do you have to lose etc. But I wouldn't start my new life in Mesa. That is where you go when you have 3 kids and a mortgage. You might not see someone your age for months at a time! Stick to Tempe area, downtown, or even a place like around Phoenix College where there are younger people coming and going. PC area would also make it easier to take a few classes to work on your marketability.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
I moved here with $3k and whatever I could fit in my car. It is not easy but work can be found. If you are unskilled you cannot be picky. That is something you should understand and be aware of. I took a security job when I came here last July and still have it because there's not much else out there I can find without taking $3-4 per hr cut in pay. But if you'll have $15k (was that a typo?) you will have more than enough to start.

Mesa might not be the best place to start out. I think 2 guys under 20 would be very bored there. As noted above it's more of a place you go when your married, have kids or retire. Take a look around the valley and see what area suits you best. You might want to look into a short term lease so you don't get stuck for 6-12 months in an area you end up not liking.

Maricopa County has lots of higher education opportunities with ASU and CC's in Mesa, Glendale, Scottsdale and online schools like Rio Salado. Might be a good idea to look into that as well.

The heat shouldn't be much of an issue during the summer. It's very hot but it's not as horrid as some make it sound. Millions of people live here with no problems. I'll take the heat over humid summers and snowy winters. But that's a personal issue. You'll find out sooner than later if you can hack it once summer hits.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area