Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM

81 posts, read 232,494 times

Advertisements

I'm not there yet. I'm still in the fun-filled process of completing applications in Dallas and Phoenix, praying and hoping one city answers the call. I'm not really sure which one I prefer at this point, I just want to get out of here....I've been ready to leave Florida for some time now, I'm just not leaving without a job, especially since I'm still employed here....(my little rant...)

I've read over and over how intense the heat gets in AZ. I've also read over and over how the humid heat where I'm a native of (90-95 degrees, 90-95% humidity Sunny SWFL) is much worse than the arid heat. I had a close friend that lived here move to Tempe, and he said he'd take the AZ summer over the FL summer any day. He swears a South Florida native like me could handle heat anywhere.

Anyway, on to my heat-related question. During the hottest time of the year for you, July - August I'm guessing, how long on average during the day does it last? For instance, I'm an early riser, and I dread the early morning (5AM) humidity more than actually waking up at that time. I swear here in the 8 month summer we get, it feels like the afternoon at 5am! Is it like that over there? During the afternoon, if you are outside, will seeking shade be ok, or is it a must to go inside? Shade doesn't work here, because of the humidity. Also, when I take my dog out at night before turning in (10:30ish-11:30ish), it still feels the same as it did at 3pm! I hate that about FL. The temperature is probably not the same, but the incessant, muggy, sweat factor is just as bad. I absolutely hate sweating all the time! When lifting/biking/working in the yard or garage, I don't mind. But, walking my dog 30' from the house and waiting for him to do his duty?! I hate that. I also hate the fact that my A/C kicks on automatically sometimes during December-February. Do you guys run the A/C during those months over there, or are open windows/ceiling fans enough to keep things comfortable?

Either way, I love what I read about Phoenix. I am looking for employment there. I know how hard your state has been hit by this economy, so I've got realistic expectations. (We were right there with you guys at the beginning of this mess as well, construction and tourism died here and really crushed our economy, sound familiar?) I'm just looking for a fresh start (that doesn't involve shoveling snow.) I've been here my whole life and I'm so ready for a change, I can taste it. Hoping to join you all over there soon.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2447 View Post
I'm not there yet. I'm still in the fun-filled process of completing applications in Dallas and Phoenix, praying and hoping one city answers the call. I'm not really sure which one I prefer at this point, I just want to get out of here....I've been ready to leave Florida for some time now, I'm just not leaving without a job, especially since I'm still employed here....(my little rant...)

I've read over and over how intense the heat gets in AZ. I've also read over and over how the humid heat where I'm a native of (90-95 degrees, 90-95% humidity Sunny SWFL) is much worse than the arid heat. I had a close friend that lived here move to Tempe, and he said he'd take the AZ summer over the FL summer any day. He swears a South Florida native like me could handle heat anywhere.

Anyway, on to my heat-related question. During the hottest time of the year for you, July - August I'm guessing, how long on average during the day does it last? For instance, I'm an early riser, and I dread the early morning (5AM) humidity more than actually waking up at that time. I swear here in the 8 month summer we get, it feels like the afternoon at 5am! Is it like that over there? During the afternoon, if you are outside, will seeking shade be ok, or is it a must to go inside? Shade doesn't work here, because of the humidity. Also, when I take my dog out at night before turning in (10:30ish-11:30ish), it still feels the same as it did at 3pm! I hate that about FL. The temperature is probably not the same, but the incessant, muggy, sweat factor is just as bad. I absolutely hate sweating all the time! When lifting/biking/working in the yard or garage, I don't mind. But, walking my dog 30' from the house and waiting for him to do his duty?! I hate that. I also hate the fact that my A/C kicks on automatically sometimes during December-February. Do you guys run the A/C during those months over there, or are open windows/ceiling fans enough to keep things comfortable?

Either way, I love what I read about Phoenix. I am looking for employment there. I know how hard your state has been hit by this economy, so I've got realistic expectations. (We were right there with you guys at the beginning of this mess as well, construction and tourism died here and really crushed our economy, sound familiar?) I'm just looking for a fresh start (that doesn't involve shoveling snow.) I've been here my whole life and I'm so ready for a change, I can taste it. Hoping to join you all over there soon.
Humidity matters and maybe how much depends on the individual. But I'll tell you, when we travel to the midwest each year, we just "die" in temps that are a lot lower than they are here. People get a laugh out of how the Arizona people can't take the heat. As for sweat, you don't get soaked here or get that feeling of it running down your back- yuck - from casual activities. It evaporates even in July. Other than July-Aug, humidty is in the teens or lower in the hottest part of the dat. It is unpleasantly hot even in the shade in mid-summer, but again, you stay fairly dry unless you get active. The sun is brutal, but you are used to that.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 15,594 times
I was born and raised in Arizona, It is just as hot at 3pm as it is at 3 am the streets retain alot of the heat so it never cools down maybe a degree or 2. I am glad to be away from the 2 season state..

Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM

16 posts, read 49,519 times
Phoenix really does get hot. I have seen 132 degrees at 10 am. And, PS, the dry heat is much much worse than the humidity and heat. I grew up in North Carolina so I know that it does get hot in the south, but 95 is nothing compared to Phoenix. In Phoenix, you can go 150 days without rain, all bearing nonstop temperatures over 110. Plus, it dries out your eyes and throat, and takes the breath right out of you. You sweat the minute you walk outside. The heat kills any flowers and small plants, and the dryness kills, well, everything.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel414 View Post
Phoenix really does get hot. I have seen 132 degrees at 10 am. And, PS, the dry heat is much much worse than the humidity and heat. I grew up in North Carolina so I know that it does get hot in the south, but 95 is nothing compared to Phoenix. In Phoenix, you can go 150 days without rain, all bearing nonstop temperatures over 110. Plus, it dries out your eyes and throat, and takes the breath right out of you. You sweat the minute you walk outside. The heat kills any flowers and small plants, and the dryness kills, well, everything.
I just want to comment to say that's impossible, as far as I know.

Triple Digit Trivia - Phoenix Weather Facts - Phoenix Highest Temperatures

The record of 122 degrees was set on June 26, 1990.

I think your views must be very skewed towards hating Phoenix temperatures.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM

82 posts, read 210,450 times
I disagree. The humidity is much worse than the dry heat. If you are used to Florida, I think you will do okay in AZ. To me the heat here is more energizing than humid heat, which just saps your strength.
Now it IS hot ALL day during the summers. Around 4 in the afternoon is the worst, but it never really lets up, though the shade does help a bit since there's no humidity. Of course nights are not as bad as days, but they're still hot! I remember waking at 2 or 3 in the morning when we first moved and stepping outside and being amazed at how hot it still was.
But you do adjust. I can honestly say after 12 years I barely notice the summers like I used to. Drinking tons of water is essential and does make a difference in how you feel.
As for winter, I don't think you'll run your A/C much. In fact you'll be surprised how much you need your heat in the early mornings. Unlike Florida, we do have a chilly winter. But it warms up nicely during the afternoon, to about 70ish.
So yeah, it's hot but Florida is worse to me. It's like the difference between a sauna and an oven. Take your pick.

Hope that helps.
Come on out and join us desert-lovers!

I also write an online columns for newbies like you that you might find helpful:
https://www.examiner.com/x-4463-Tran...oenix-Examiner

Good luck!
Susan

Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
We have lived all over including Kansas, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida. I think I prefer a bit of humidity. This is too dry. Skin cracks and I can't swallow when i walk a long distance here. I know that sounds strange, but if you open your mouth it just seems to dry out..........and, no, I'm not 100 years old I don't actually like much heat at all. I do think in other parts of the country, the clouds protect you a bit from the intensity of the sun. I'm not even sure it is the heat I dislike so much here, but maybe the sun. You just can't escape it.

Of course, everything else here is very nice. Just don't like the sun/heat.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel414 View Post
Phoenix really does get hot. I have seen 132 degrees at 10 am. .
On a faulty thermometer. As was indicated upthread, you must be one of those people who just doesn't like the weather here.

Jdub-

It still cools off at night noticeably until what passes for our humid weather starts. TThe heat island effect of all the concrete has affected that, for sure. Then, the temperature drops less, unless there is an actual storm with rain that passes through at night, which will help a little more.

That said, our daytime humidity in our humid season is in the 30's. I've been to Central Fla in August. My sister moved there from here several years ago. She's learned to tolerate the humidity. I don't even want to try. While it gets MUCH hotter here in terms of temperature, for me, anyway, it is more tolerable than summer in Fla.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Come visit this summer and see what you think!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM

81 posts, read 232,494 times
I was thinking about visiting my friend if the opportunity comes up, or I get asked for an interview. I will try to visit in the hottest time of the year just to see for myself. I absolutely hate humidity, so I think I can handle heat without humidity. Thanks for the responses so far, keep the opinions coming. (BTW, it's usually pretty easy to tell if one has a negative overall outlook or attitude toward something. I knew the record wasn't 130+. over there...)

Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i haven't seen 130, but i've seen temperatures way over the "record high" that has been posted

I think AZ gets slighted in it's heat - other places use the ambient air temp and get to add on a "feels like" factor due to humidity ....... we don't get to add on a "feels like" factor for brutal, scorching sun

also the ambient air temp is not what you experience out here - you experience the radiant heat coming off the concrete, coming off your car, beating into your home, etc ...... so yes, you'll experience temperatures well above what the weather station says you are because we live in the world and not in an air temperature measuring box

humid vs dry is a matter of preference - neither place is a cakewalk for sure

i like that we don't have a lot of the humid bugs (mosquitos, gnats, etc) - however, the dry climate is tough on the skin, sinus, etc

i've had high heat/high humidity days where it's just drained me - where I just wanted to sit on the coach and lay in sweat - however, those climates also tend to get some cool breezes (sweat & air can make the body feel cool), some cloud cover, etc

here you basically have the sun sitting on your for 4 months - it never ends - that is what makes it hard, it's more of a grind

i'd take either of the intense snow & cold though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area