Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

162 posts, read 430,762 times

Advertisements

Ok, we like (at least me and my kids, not so much my wife) to go to places like Lake Pleasant to enjoy the lake and hike around on the trails. So many beautiful places and fascinating wildlife... however last night we had an encounter with a rattlesnake on the trail. The kids had been swimming in the lake so they were just wearing swimsuits and flipflops... not exactly proper hiking attire for the desert. Still, I lead the way and just paid close attention to the trail to make sure we don't stumble onto one by mistake. Sure enough, on the way back (it was a short little hike), i saw this tiger rattlesnake accross the path about 10 ft ahead. It started rattling as soon as it noticed us, and it slithered accross the path and out of the way. My wife just about peed her pants (she has a major snake phobia).
I thought it was a very neat experience, so did the kids.
So, I don't want to allow this incident to keep us from the outdoors, but obviously I need to figure out some stuff we could wear, especially the kids, that would protect us in the event that we do stumble into one and don't notice it until too late. The main problem is: We're BROKE.
I saw snake boots for sale that are over $100, that is NOT something we can afford. My kids are ages 6,8,10. Any ideas?
Also since they're not very tall, their knees are not that high. Even if they wore knee high boots, wouldn't it be within striking range above the boots?

By the way, this is the very first time we encountered one after 3 years, so no, they're not "everywhere", but the hills around the lake are probably "blessed" with more of them than places closer to the city.

oops... I noticed the typo in title. but y'all get it I think.

Last edited by greendesert; 04-18-2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> Even if they wore knee high boots, wouldn't it be within striking range above the boots?

Yes. I recall hearing (at the snake show, at the Tucson desert museum) that they can strike a third or a half of their length.

Some sort of boots are a good idea on general principles, but I don't think they are a protection against rattlers.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 PM

142 posts, read 933,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Even if they wore knee high boots, wouldn't it be within striking range above the boots?

Yes. I recall hearing (at the snake show, at the Tucson desert museum) that they can strike a third or a half of their length.

Some sort of boots are a good idea on general principles, but I don't think they are a protection against rattlers.
Exactly, I don't think there is much protection from rattlers. Being trail savvy and just keeping an eye out is the best protection.

Funny, my son (12) stepped on a rattler last week while we were hiking Thunderbird Park. We were stepping out of the way of a runner and he looked down after realizing the ground he stepped on was squishy. I saw his face, looked down, and saw the rattle start going. The snake was coiled and resting on the trail so we were lucky he didn't try to strike either one of us. VERY SCARY for us! It was crazy because most times I either see them crossing the trail or off on the rocks farther away from where people walk/travel. We did hike the trail again the other day just to help us get over our trepidation of hiking that trail again, LOL!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 AM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
There is no such thing as a full or complete protection for your kids. That being said, there are a couple of companies who manufacture snake boots and arm guards for kids sizes. These companies can be found by performing a simple search engine search. Don't forget to encourage them about safety.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM

162 posts, read 430,762 times
wow, that's crazy to have your kid step on one. That would freak me out. Every once in a while I hear people say that they've been in Phoenix for X number of years and never saw a snake... yeah maybe if you live downtown, but if you ever hike any of the mountian parks, you're going to see them, and maybe even step on one if you're not careful. Good move about going back to get over the initial fear. My mom had a car accident 20 years ago and never drove again to this day. That's no way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area