Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM

46 posts, read 181,761 times

Advertisements

Looking to do something a little different as I need new flooring throughout my house. The first floor tile and carpet is getting torn up this weekend and I need to make a decision on what to do next. 20x20 tile was my first thought but I have been seeing pics of stained and etched concrete flooring and that looks pretty cool. Does anyone have this done to their place? How is the results and does it make a difference in cooling during summer and heating during winter? Doing this also looked to be a bit cheaper as well and I could have a look that is like marble or travertine with different designs.

So anyone........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,866,297 times
We considered doing this, but finally decided to stick with what is more generally accepted, which would be 20X20 tile (or larger, if it's a large room) or travertine (if the house and area justify the cost of that material). The reason was simple: When we go to resell, concrete is not considered as universally appealing. MANY buyers will be turned off.

Note that if I were doing floors for a downtown or Tempe loft, I'd probably do the concrete. When they are done properly, they look great. But for 98% of the houses in this area - tile, travertine or wood flooring, IMO.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 05-19-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,179,707 times
I once sold a home that had stained concrete floors. The owner took his time and cleaned up the concrete real well, grooved a pattern into the flor (just large squares) and then stained them. It can out real nice.

Not sure which stain he used, but it is virtually maintenance free.

They put rugs down in places where they wanted a softer surface.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzWickedSS View Post
Looking to do something a little different as I need new flooring throughout my house. The first floor tile and carpet is getting torn up this weekend and I need to make a decision on what to do next. 20x20 tile was my first thought but I have been seeing pics of stained and etched concrete flooring and that looks pretty cool. Does anyone have this done to their place? How is the results and does it make a difference in cooling during summer and heating during winter? Doing this also looked to be a bit cheaper as well and I could have a look that is like marble or travertine with different designs.

So anyone........
My recommendation, AzWickedSS . . . DON'T DO IT.

About ten years ago I had my my tired carpeting removed and the cement floor acid stained and sealed. It looked great at first but after a few months it began to look dingy and worn. After about two or three years it became an eyesore and required more work than it was worth.

I finally covered it up with hardwood and everything has been fine since.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 40,707 times
We acid stained our concrete floor a couple of years ago. By far the biggest challenge was trying to remove the carpet glue. Despite countless hours on my knees attacking the glue with a razor scraper, the glue prevailed. However, since the acid stain salesperson assured us that the acid stain would "eat" the glue and it wouldn't be a problem, we decided to proceed with the staining. As it turned out, the glue actually ended up being a major problem and it looked hideous (no way did the stain "eat" the glue). In the end, we decided not to seal the floor and instead tiled over it. The staining project was a huge waste of time and money (mainly time since it was a do-it-yourself job). With that said, you should get good results if you are dealing with new, virgin concrete.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,642 times
My 2nd part time job in school (when they needed me) was dealing with concrete. I did dozens of floors with dozens of designs and they still look awesome 15yrs later. They were all new builds with in floor heating and we were working from scratch. More of an imprint and not an etching.

I would go with what bummer recommends. You may want to also think about using an epoxy spray or some kind of other micro topping.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,002,223 times
If you ever plan to sell then stick with what is the most common.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM

183 posts, read 550,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
My 2nd part time job in school (when they needed me) was dealing with concrete. I did dozens of floors with dozens of designs and they still look awesome 15yrs later. They were all new builds with in floor heating and we were working from scratch. More of an imprint and not an etching.

I would go with what bummer recommends. You may want to also think about using an epoxy spray or some kind of other micro topping.
You say you've done many of these, that look awesome 15 years later, and go with what bummer recommends.
Yet bummer says don't do it?????????

Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ bound View Post
You say you've done many of these, that look awesome 15 years later, and go with what bummer recommends.
Yet bummer says don't do it?????????
I helped pour the slab,press the design, and finish it. To make it look the same they would have to pour a whole new floor.
I wouldn't think their slab wouldn't look good. Most slabs that are meant to have a floor covering aren't finished nice enough to stand on their own. It would be easier to break it out and re pour. Without seeing it I could be wrong. I did point out here are some sprays that look neat.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 181,761 times
I guess I will stick with the original plan of tiling the whole first floor. I did look at a lot of pics of some concrete stains and they all looked extremely nice but I guess majority of those are probably the really high end work I saw that I can't afford. I do have a fairly large floor plan so I figured 20x20 tiles is best or the stain with lines etched in at even a bigger size would be nice as well. I guess I just need to make up my mind. I made the decision that wood is out due to my dog liking to pick at wood objects for hours. I have old tables around the house that you can see where she nibbled on all the corners and such.

With tile is there really a difference between the $4/sqft stuff and $1/sqft if they are both the same compound, ie ceramic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area